skeeter or nitro [Archive] - AZBZ Forums

: skeeter or nitro

dozer
June 28th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Hey everyone I am thinking about a new boat was wondering what people think about the new nitro Z-7 pro's and con's and how they compare to a skeeter

thanks

AMERICAN BASSMAN
June 28th, 2010, 01:58 PM
If I had to choose, it would be the Sketter.

redhammer
June 28th, 2010, 02:00 PM
IMO Skeeter is the way to go.....only real way to compare would be to test drive both and see how you like them.

tom n
June 28th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Look at the Rangers also!!!

TINTANIC
June 28th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Skeeters are all around great boats.

Forrest Webb
June 28th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Between Nitro and Skeeter I would definitely go with the Nitro...

Young Gun
June 28th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I would also go with the Nitro. The service you'll get by having a good dealer in town (BPS) would be the biggest reason for me.

Joey
June 28th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I would go with the nitro.

Dr.6
June 28th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I would also pick the Nitro, It's not your Dad's Nitro anymore.

Jerry Weston
June 28th, 2010, 04:42 PM
You will not be disappointed in the Z-7 Nitro. It is a great boat that will scoot right along with the 200 PRO XS.....Easy to tow and great on oil and gas....

Take it for a test drive and see for yourself...

JW

Fishless
June 28th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I have been looking at new aluminum boats, was at BPS and man that Z-7 looks soooooooo nice, even like the removable passenger console. The price is great for that package with the 150HP opti, hell only a few dollars more than an aluminum boat!! The quality control on those boats is so much better than 4-5 years ago.

How do they handle the ruff water etc. love all the storage in them, now I can't make up my mind what to do!!!!!!

Bayou
June 28th, 2010, 05:39 PM
now I can't make up my mind what to do!!!!!!

Click your heels together 3 times and all your wishes will come true!
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:mQJXTMt9qvquyM:http://tangoshoedivas.com/ameimages/090730-Red/ruby_slippers.jpg

Seriously, Josh (Young Gun) gave you the best answer already.

Kickin Bass
June 28th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Z-7 hands down.

Franklin J
June 28th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Hey a boats a boat dude, buy what you want....the set-up and driver is what makes them different...

Nitros are cheaper....

DWRAT
June 28th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Skeeters suck big time, I would rather fish on the shore next to Fish then fish in a Skeeter.

birddog
June 28th, 2010, 06:27 PM
NITRO!!!

browntrout
June 28th, 2010, 07:21 PM
nitro

Franklin J
June 28th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Maybe all these dudes hate skeeters because they get passed by them all the time...and w/the new Yamaha motor on the FX20 thats a for sure thing

TXRNGR
June 28th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Maybe all these dudes hate skeeters because they get passed by them all the time...and w/the new Yamaha motor on the FX20 thats a for sure thing

Franklin, I bet you the Z-7 with the 200 Pro XS will leave you behind.. I know jamesflies put the 200 Pro XS on his 591 which is basically the Z-7 and his boat will run in the 70's all day.

jamesflies
June 28th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Those Z7's are an awesome setup! Fish 3 easily, plenty of storage and will pass a lot of Skeeters when rigged with the 200 :biggrin:

BDEL
June 28th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Nitro's are nice boats, unfortunetly BPS has the chit service. All they really care about is making the sale. After that you'll feel like youre on youre own.

hawg'n
June 28th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I was checking out that new Z7 in the BPS showroom last week. Sweet rig and a great price. Plus, if you fish tournies you have the tournament rewards program also. I have always had great service from BPS.

jamesflies
June 28th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I was checking out that new Z7 in the BPS showroom last week. Sweet rig and a great price. Plus, if you fish tournies you have the tournament rewards program also. I have always had great service from BPS.

Matt did they tie a string to your bathtub plug? :Iconrotfl

Fishless
June 29th, 2010, 05:25 AM
BDEL, I kind of agree with you, seems like car dealership type attitude at BPS, push the sale then (have a nice day)

still wondering if any of you that own one will say how they handle in the ruffer water like roosevelt on a windy day?

Joey
June 29th, 2010, 06:37 AM
BDEL, I kind of agree with you, seems like car dealership type attitude at BPS, push the sale then (have a nice day)

still wondering if any of you that own one will say how they handle in the ruffer water like roosevelt on a windy day?

Roosevelt on a windy day isnt really "ruffer" water.... Try mead on "calmer" day.

Either way, an 18 or 19 foot boat is not going to preform fantastic in rough water. However, a nitro will probably outpreform a skeeter and it will have a better layout and a better deck

redhammer
June 29th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Roosevelt on a windy day isnt really "ruffer" water.... Try mead on "calmer" day.

Either way, an 18 or 19 foot boat is not going to preform fantastic in rough water. However, a nitro will probably outpreform a skeeter and it will have a better layout and a better deck

Have to agree with you about the Rosy comment heck Pleasant on a Sat. is worse than anything I get into at Rosy.

I really don't know where all the love for the Nitros is coming from but there layouts suck IMO (Not to mention there back deck is basically non-existent and the fishing platform is not as stable.). Comparing the two brands Skeeter vs Nitro isn't really close unless your only factor is price. Skeeter is a much better boat with a better reputation.

hawg'n
June 29th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Layouts suck? Man I fished out of Foutchs zx225 skeeter in one night tourney. Only one because there is just no room in that boat and we were angry at the end of the night.. We fished out of my Z9 the rest of the season. Now Steve has a Z9.. Have to agree with you about the Rosy comment heck Pleasant on a Sat. is worse than anything I get into at Rosy.

I really don't know where all the love for the Nitros is coming from but there layouts suck IMO (Not to mention there back deck is basically non-existent and the fishing platform is not as stable.). Comparing the two brands Skeeter vs Nitro isn't really close unless your only factor is price. Skeeter is a much better boat with a better reputation.

Pedro
June 29th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Been in Skeeters yes they are fast but will beat you in rough water. The old Nitro I had would let you run rough water and still be able to fish once you got to your spot. I have not ridden in the Z-7 so not sure about that hull. From looking at the Nitro boat I would say it's going to more bang for your buck. You'll be able to upgrade the motor and still pay less than the Skeeter. I also agree that Nitro has stepped up in the fit and finish dept.
If I could afford a new boat I would try to get a ride in a Z-7. I had an older Nitro and had good luck with service unless I tried to take it in before a busy holiday. If you call ahead to make sure they aren't slammed and they know your coming it helps.
Anyway my vote would go towards the Nitro at this point.

TODDTHEFROG
June 29th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I have a 2010 Z7 and it seems like a nice boat. It feels plenty fast with the 150 HP 2 stroke...

aavalos
June 29th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I also have a Z7 Nitro great boat and great price for your money:icon_attnwhore:

adam214
June 29th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I havent fished out of the new nitro's. My buddy had a 98 898savage, that boat was a pile. Slow and cheap. I have a 97 skeeter zx185, i love it! It is sooo much more stable than the nitro. Like i said, i havent experienced the new nitro's and skeeters, but im sold on my skeeter so thats my vote.

Skeeter Boy SX180
June 29th, 2010, 02:09 PM
+1:Iconrotfl

BassTrix
June 29th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I have an 07 Skeeter 20i and it's a great boat. The layout is very good, it's a stable platform, fast hull, and GREAT RIDE. I had a 96 ZX190 and it would beat you if you didn't slow way down. My boat handles rough water comparable to a Ranger Z21.

As far as customer service goes, Skeeter themselves have been pretty good. The dealer I bought from was horrible but they are no longer in business. I brought mine into Complete a couple months back and was pleased with the service. I've had issues with the trailer that just shouldn't happen, but I also know that since this trailer came out, they have addressed the issues with design changes.

As far as Nitros go, the only thing I've done is study the layout. I didn't like it as much as my skeeter, but hawg'n seems to like his.

I'd like to run the guy with the Z7/200 to see how it fast it really is. Mine's not a speed demon, but runs fairly well. My experience is that most people are full of shit when they talk about how fast their boat runs.

The other nice thing about Nitro is you get more choices on how to power it. Yamaha makes a very good engine, but I'd like to have the choice.

Price...haven't priced a Nitro, but last I saw, the higher end boats were right up there with the rest of the crowd, but popular concensus on this thread is they're a lot less expensive.

I'd suggest you figure out what you want to spend, go pick out the model you can afford in each brand then see if you can get a test ride....that's what pro staff guys are for, so take advantage. Make sure you fit the boat...I'm tall and my knees fit comfortably under my console, so that means a lot to me.

Good luck on your decision.
BT

Dr.6
June 29th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Phuckit...if you want the best layout then go with a basscat. I know, I know, no one was asking about a Basscat. I would purchase a used basscat before a new Nitro or skeeter. Not familiar with any of those from a customer service stand point but I am with the Basscat and they are awesome.

Joey
June 29th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Phuckit...if you want the best layout then go with a basscat. I know, I know, no one was asking about a Basscat. I would purchase a used basscat before a new Nitro or skeeter. Not familiar with any of those from a customer service stand point but I am with the Basscat and they are awesome.

yep yep. Basscat would be my number one choice, if not a basscat then I would have to go with a nitro or a bullet...

Ma Nuge
June 29th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Nitro 1+
We have 1 and its great... and the lay out is great.. there is plenty of room in back and front! Just sucks we missed the rewards program by 1 year.:(

btw... I dont recall getting passed by any skeeters. lol

BassTrix
June 30th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Nitro 1+
We have 1 and its great... and the lay out is great.. there is plenty of room in back and front! Just sucks we missed the rewards program by 1 year.:(

btw... I dont recall getting passed by any skeeters. lol

What's your boat look like and I'll keep an eye out for ya.

CruX
June 30th, 2010, 07:14 PM

I take it you haven't driven a 18/19' Champion before or been in one?

BASSRO
June 30th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Those Z7's are an awesome setup! Fish 3 easily, plenty of storage and will pass a lot of Skeeters when rigged with the 200 :biggrin:

I think all this comparison is like apples to oranges blah blah blah. Your talking a 200xs on an 18 footer, yeh its going to run like a raped ape. I had an 18 ft Champion with a 200 merc efi and a jack plate ect ect that ran in the 80s, and my 20 ft skeeter with only a 200 efi is running in the low 70s. but I dont think his question was which one is the fastest. Find what fits you best they are both good boats. Ride is all in how well you learn to drive a boat.

Brian Davis
June 30th, 2010, 07:53 PM
RANGER

Joey
June 30th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I take it you haven't driven a 18/19' Champion before or been in one?

a 21' champ is gonna beat an 18' champ. Thanks chris haha

BassTrix
July 1st, 2010, 02:18 PM
However, a nitro will probably outpreform a skeeter and it will have a better layout and a better deck

I'm betting you've never owned or driven either one!

Have you even owned a boat???

adam214
July 1st, 2010, 03:07 PM
you cant really go wrong with either. I like the speed and fishability of my skeeter, but i like the ride and looks of the nitro. I would be more picky with the motor. IMO mercury and yamaha have a solid reputation. It really comes down to opinion. Have fun lookin

RODY
July 1st, 2010, 03:10 PM
the only thing I dont like about the nitros is the front deck seems (atleast to me) to sit alot higher out of the water when fishing compared to skeeters/rangers/champs/stratos. I have never personally fished out of one but in looking at guys boats during tournys floating around waiting for the start they seem to be sitting alot higher. I prefer to be lower to the lake personally

gholliday
July 1st, 2010, 03:35 PM
RANGER