Is it Illegal [Archive] - AZBZ Forums

: Is it Illegal

splitshot
February 7th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Is it illegal to take a saguaro cactus skeleton from the desert,that is laying on the ground?

BDEL
February 7th, 2012, 05:09 PM
As far as I know if it's dead your good to go. We always gathered them up to use for fencing in our corrals but we never left the forest with them.

Leaving the forest might be the only technicality.

Nitro
February 7th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Just don't take it out of a state park.

informed
February 7th, 2012, 05:50 PM
I don't know the law,,,,,,I'm stating that up front! I believe it is against the law to remove the cactus from any "public land"! Make sure you find out for sure, as I do know that if it's living there is a HUGE fine!!!

Bayou
February 7th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Google is a wonderful thing:http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_illegal_to_take_a_dead_saguaro_cactus_in_Ari zona

timbo
February 7th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Take nothing but picture Leave nothing but footprints.
That's the law.

BDEL
February 7th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Google is a wonderful thing:http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_illegal_to_take_a_dead_saguaro_cactus_in_Ari zona

Interesting, I guess every ranch in AZ is guilty of voilating this federal law.

kevin
February 7th, 2012, 09:55 PM
yes illigal

IHV2FSH
February 8th, 2012, 12:03 AM
It is illegal to enter the US with out documentation but they don't enforce that one very well. But take a dead cactus and you might face a firing squad. lol

Boat Cop
February 8th, 2012, 12:55 AM
yes it is!!! all cacti have to have state tags on it prior to removal dead or alive. thay are all protected

BassmasterAj
February 8th, 2012, 01:30 AM
It is illegal to enter the US with out documentation but they don't enforce that one very well. But take a dead cactus and you might face a firing squad. lol

+1

Boat Cop
February 8th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Thats because state officers enforce the laws of the state. Federal officers enforce whatever federal laws the president tells them he wants enforced!!!

IHV2FSH
February 8th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Boat Cop maybe you can explain why AZ LEO's enforce this law which is "Federal" and it is ok. But when it comes to Immigration laws they don't want us to enforce them and do everything to stop AZ and other states saying this is federal law? Same with the drug laws they expect States to enforce these but overwhelmingly the Citizens of AZ want our border secured and we here that State officers enforce state laws not federal laws. I'm confused. JMO not trying to stir the pot just a point of discussion.

Gila Hemi
February 8th, 2012, 11:03 AM
For about the past year it has been legal to bring cacti skeletons into the USA. Good luck on convincing Arizona law enforcement that any cactus skeletons in possession were obtained legally in Mexico.

Also, the pads of a variety of prickly pear known as nopales or tuna in Spanish can be brought into the US for food as long as the thorns are removed.

poacher
February 8th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Not if you don't get caught! Kinda like robbing a bank

ps5932
February 8th, 2012, 02:45 PM
www.azda.gov
CACTUS WOOD
Cactus wood, the skeletal remains of some cacti, is not protected under the Arizona native plant law. However, it is suggested that written permission be obtained from the landowner before entering any private property, especially to remove resources.
Skeletal remains of the Saguaro and Cholla cacti being taken from private, State, and Public lands in Arizona may have an adverse impact on the fragile desert environment. The removal of cactus wood is an increasing practice that may have a cumulative negative effect on wildlife habitats and populations, as well as injury to plant seedlings.
The organic content of the desert soil is very low, and decomposition of cactus remains plays a vital role in maintaining soil fertility. Dead and decaying cactus also provide food and habitat for a wide variety of wildlife and perch sites for raptors. Written authorization from the State Land Department must first be obtained before entering State Trust lands. Questions regarding natural resources on State land, please call the State Land Department at (602) 542-2119. Written authorization for the commercial removal of natural resources from Public Land (Bureau of Land Management, National Forest Service) must first be obtained from the land managing agency. For more information regarding Public Land, please call the Bureau of Land Management at (602) 650-0200 or the National Forest Service at (505) 842-3270 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Remember, open land in Arizona belongs to, or is controlled by someone. Be sure to have written permission in hand before entering any land to remove natural resources.
Again, cactus skeletons (or any dead plant or plant parts) are not protected under the Arizona native plant law. However, we encourage that at least verbal permission be obtained from the landowner before entering private property.
For additional information, please call Mike Reimer , Office of Special Investigations at (520) 628-6317, or e-mail at mreimer@azda.gov

Boat Cop
February 8th, 2012, 10:58 PM
IHV2FISH, native plant laws are not federal laws, they are state. most drug laws are federal and state, imigration is federal only. endangered species is federal and the states have protection laws on them.