Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Starter problems

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  bill8040 
#1 ·
When trailering the '86 champion today at saguaro I heard a HUM coming from the engine area. Sounded like the trim motor. I quickly checked trim switches, ignition and ended up disconnecting the battery. At home, I used some electrical cleaner spray into the ignition key...no luck, the starter continues to kick on when touching the positive cable to the battery post. Is there a way to test the ignition switch or starter selonoid to see which is giving me a headache? or is there something else that could be causing this? Any help is appreciated.

Bill.

#2 ·
I am thinking its the key switch and Not the soloniod never seen one stick on.

Disconnect the power wire from the solinoid. then all the other wires, Ohm the soliniod out and see.
if that checks ok its good, then its our ignition switch..

with out knowing motor year and type impossible to trouble shoot specifcially.
do you have a book? look in the wiring diagram

#3 ·
Take the trigger wire off the solonoid, if it stops, its the switch. If it continues it the sol

#6 ·
what are you hoping to see with an ohm meter? unless you have a spec from the manufacturer , all you can really look for is a dead short( in which case the solenoid is bad), or an open (see above). at this point an ohm meter is gonna tell you what you already know. pull the trigger wire off of the solenoid, connect the battery. if the motor starts trying to spin or even clicks the solenoid, it's not the switch. if nothing happens,if you reconnect (or check the trigger wire for voltage with key off) and it trys to turn over again, you have your answer.

#7 ·
An ohm meter will tell him everything he needs to know. with out putting juice on it and causeing more damage to the starter or himself while checking it out..

the soliniod on his motor is like the old fords

#10 ·
i use a meter constantly at work, ive tried telling a few on here how to check with a meter and it seems to go in one ear and out the other.

most dont know how to use a meter. if he doesnt know what he is looking for with it, it does him absolutely no good.

yes your right del, it will tell him what he needs to know, just the same as what i said to do.

and i have seen a few stuck solenoids in my career.

#12 ·
Seems the ignition switch was sticking. With the battery diconnected I shot some CRC electrical cleaner in it and freed it up. I do believe this will eventually become a recurrent issue so will try to find another one on-line. Thanks for everyones help. Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.