Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Who's actually catching fish on this A-RIG now?

5K views 34 replies 30 participants last post by  Froggin'n Slop44 
#1 ·
Now that the crazy hype is alittle over and everyone has either spent 40 on a single lure or made some them selves, is anyone actually killing them with this. You figure its avg. 25 for the rig, another 10-15 in swimbaits and hooks for it, so lets say a 40 dollar lure. Is it worth it and how are you HONESTLY doing with it?

#3 ·
You figure its avg. 25 for the rig, another 10-15 in swimbaits and hooks for it, so lets say a 40 dollar lure. Is it worth it and how are you HONESTLY doing with it?
Not to mention a new stick and reel that can handle throwing it. That's the only reason I haven't tried one yet. I don't want to fork over the +/- $40 for the lure, and another $150 AT LEAST for the rig to toss it with....

#4 ·
I'm actually going to throw mine for the first time tomorrow, Have it rigged with 3 cheapos swimbaits from walmart in the middle and putting 2 skinny dipper on it top and bottom. Don't like the way they are swimming with the jig head I'm using. It came with swivels and snaps, I'm thinking of removing swivels will help with the rolling of skinny dippers. Need a heavier weight on the bottom to keep it swimming straight I think. Anyone have any advise on how to rig these things. What jig heads? Sorry didn't mean to hyjack thread but it is on topic.

#9 ·
The size of the jig head all depends on the size of the bait you are using, because when you start throwing the bait and if you use like a 3/0 hook on a skinny dipper you will start fowling the hook up on the tail. I would throw whatever weight you want but you have to make sure you are throwing like a 5/0 hook so every time you cast it out you don't have one skinny dipper fowling and catching the other ones tail. Also, the three way rig is the legal way here but I make the 5 way rig and cut two of the barbs off of the hooks after they are rigged it makes the shad ball look bigger and better and still legal. I am throwing Gary Yamamoto saltwater series and Keitech custom worms on buckeye 3/8oz 5/0 and a megabass A-rig and it throws and swims perfect and I have thrown it tons of times. All of this stuff was purchased at The Hook Up and some stuff I mentioned you can only get from there, I really really really recommend you go in there and chat with Jon or Ben about these, they will dial you in 110% and you can support a local shop with purchasing your stuff out there. Also if you are too far away call them!!!! They will give you the corect info and the also have there website thehookuptackle.com order off there.

#6 ·
Couple years ago, on a fly down trip to Baccarac Mexico, we were down at the Lodge and fishing in one of the guided boats.
The guy rigged us up with a multiple bait set up using Zoom Flukes by using swivels. Kinda the same thing as the A rig today.
We nailed them, but that was of course Mexico.
Since you can only have 2 baits with hooks in AZ maybe use the swivel set up and safe the price of the A rig.

#7 ·
I have a caught a few at Pleasant on it, but it's not the time of year yet that it will be working to its full advantage. I give it a few more weeks, when they start staging for pre spawn it will probably be awesome. Then after they are done spawning and start moving down on points it will also be awesome. Also it the mornings of the summer when the bass are chasing shad close to the banks it will be a awesome bait. The ones that I caught were caught in 30-40 feet of water slow rolling the rig.

#12 ·
Total cost of the 1 I throw is 20 bucks with jig heads and baits. 40 is high. u can pick the rig its self up for 15 bucks. The rod on the other hand well,,, people throw them on a flippin stick or swimbait rod ! If u don't own a swimbait rod or flippin stick might be time to invest. !-)

#13 ·
I have caught 12 or so on the rig. Smallest was just under 2 lbs. Caught 1 at Rosy that weighed 5.19. Had a guide trip at Rosy yesterday and my client stuck a 2.25 on it. Time is not quite right yet, but it is one hell of search bait. Throw teasers on all 5 and start running. It is a lot of work but when it's on it's fun. Not much of an investment for me as I already had 2 swimbait rods.

#16 ·
I've had some success at Bartlett running it over points and flats between 25-35ft. Had a bunch of hits on baits with no hooks. I've made one with only three wires and just have the one bait without a hook and this may end up being my favorite. I made the wires shorter and I'm only using the weight of the swimbaits no jig heads. It has a nice feel and you can throw it like a spinnerbait. There is definetly a place for them in your tacklebox but it is not the end all of lures, just another tool.

#19 ·
I caught one on it at Saggy that went 6+ three weeks ago, then I donated that rig to an artificial tree two casts later.

I donated two A-Rigs to lake unPleasant two weeks ago- do not use swivel snaps with these rigs. Direct tie with 65 Lb braid.:OOPS:

#28 ·
I've never used one with 5 hooks but i know for a fact my catch ratio sucks with 2 hooks vs 5. I have noticed its a little better with my three wire version. I hate how many fish i have missed with this bait but it sure it fun to throw and it catches the bigger fish fo sure.

#29 ·
Bored Wednesday night after work i went to Walmart and purchased a 12 inch whisk and a tube of epoxy puddy. Sat at the kitchen table 45 minutes leater 2 4 arm mike rigs. Total cost less then 6 dollars. Used it yesterday at lake Poway in cali caught 3 bass smallest about 2.5 pounds. Just starting to play with it in the lakes but tuned it in the pool with flukes on one great action stop start and hollow belly swim baits on the other. Need to adjust the angle of the wires a little to get better paddle action out of the tail

#30 ·
Yesterday was the first time i was out in about 6 weeks and only out for about 2 hours. Out of like the last 20 fish on the rig since i figured out the best way to rig it with only 2 hooks i have only missed maybe 2 fish max. Like i said i would feel totally comfortable with only one hook on there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.