The official Game and Word on Stripers - Page 4 - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

April 28th, 2017     01:19 AM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fisheries/habitat

Old June 28th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #46
Delw

Big stripers in pleasant (over 15lbs) have been caught for alot of years. Pleasant has its ups and downs with large stripers getting caught. one year people can catch a bunch of 10+lbs and and the next year your lucky to catch anything over 5lbs. to my knowledge only about a 2-3 dozen stripers have been caught over 15lbs. most of those were caught in the early 2000's
I am thinking we dont see lots of big stripers due to most guys get broken off while fishing for them due to light line. a 10lb striper will put a hurt on the line most people use, talk to some of the guys who fish for stripers they will tell you they have broken off quite a few that were big.
one other reason is during the striper spawn the river is closed, I know some guys that go in there and fish and have caught a bunch of 10-12lbers in a day during the spawn.

The stripers havent showed any negitive impact on Bass fishing so far. I think they showed some negitive impact on the white bass however. seems like people have caugth less and less whites as they years go on and more stripers., both species inhabit the same areas at generally the same time as well as spawning also.

Delw

@#muskielivesmatter
@#bullsharklivesmattermore
Delw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #47
Fishless

that may change starting this year Del, as far as stripers starting to impact the fishery at pleasant.
Old June 28th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #48
FISHFEARME

Yeah, it seems the whites I do get on are really thick & hearty dudes that wolfpack real hard, none of them are small skinny ones. They just arent as prevalent as last year is seems so far.
FISHFEARME is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #49
Delw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHFEARME View Post
Yeah, it seems the whites I do get on are really thick & hearty dudes that wolfpack real hard, none of them are small skinny ones. They just arent as prevalent as last year is seems so far.
the last4 years haven't been good for whites if you compare it to last year there is NONE in the lake.

50-100 whites in one spot in just a few hours was normal 6-8 years ago, they were easier to cacth than crappie were in Alamo lake 10 years ago. meaning just about every cast you had a fish.

Back in the 90s you used to see 100-150 boats at and around the Dam at night slaying whitebass, The az republic and allstar (azhunter&angler magazine) used to put articles up every year about it. is was like a nascar race getting to the lake when the whites were biting. both before and after the new dam was built.

I am sure bruce remembers that

@#muskielivesmatter
Old June 28th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #50
nolord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delw View Post
the last4 years haven't been good for whites if you compare it to last year there is NONE in the lake.

50-100 whites in one spot in just a few hours was normal 6-8 years ago, they were easier to cacth than crappie were in Alamo lake 10 years ago. meaning just about every cast you had a fish.

Back in the 90s you used to see 100-150 boats at and around the Dam at night slaying whitebass, The az republic and allstar (azhunter&angler magazine) used to put articles up every year about it. is was like a nascar race getting to the lake when the whites were biting. both before and after the new dam was built.

I am sure bruce remembers that
+1
I loved taking my daughter out, back in the day when the Whites would damned near black out the sonar screen from top to bottom in 70' +....
We had many a 50+ day just yo yo ing spoons or throwing at the intakes at the dam, what a blast that was..
What do you think happened to them? do you think the striper's are just beating them to the shad? or are they them selves being eaten by those bad boys..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nolord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #51
catchandrelease

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbowen View Post
What is their word on catching striper that is starving and not eatable? At Lake Powell the official word is to recycle it. Better then throwing it in the trash when you get home. AZ F&G need to get realistic. Powell is part of their jurisdiction. Why are regs at Powell and Pleasant any different?
Same rule at Powell , they want you to keep ! every striper. You can release them alive, you can not trash them ! That`s just frigging stupid for anyone to do ! They are very good eating fish and fun to catch like any other fish. When you hit boils or slurps and stick one after another, nothing beats that type of fishing. The bass, crappie , walleye have been doing great over the years and have come back big time even w/ stripers there.
Some of you guys act like they are carp. They are a great fish to catch and eat. It is one of the few fish I actually fish for the fun and to eat.
And what recycle program are you talking about ?
You can work many days and hours to catch a 5 lb. + l.m. or s.m.
You can hit boils at Powell of 3 to 6 lb. stripers with occassional bigger ones non stop
and catch 50 to 100 a day of tough reel burners. I have caught up to 145 fish in a 10 hour period. I could not keep them all but I did not kill them. I went back the following years and kept catching them.

Last edited by catchandrelease; June 28th, 2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: add
catchandrelease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #52
Delw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolord View Post
+1
I loved taking my daughter out, back in the day when the Whites would damned near black out the sonar screen from top to bottom in 70' +....
We had many a 50+ day just yo yo ing spoons or throwing at the intakes at the dam, what a blast that was..
What do you think happened to them? do you think the striper's are just beating them to the shad? or are they them selves being eaten by those bad boys..
I dont know was always curious. Maybe the stripers moved into their spawning grounds( up the river)? I've just noticed a huge decline of whites since the early 80s I mean a noticable decline. we have had 1or 2 years were it wasnt bad. but this had been a steady decline since the 2000's

it would be nothing to be bass fishing a tourny tossing jerkbaits cranks and blades to catch a half dozen whites, then winter time and spooning for bass you had to make it through the whites just to get to a bass same thing with dropshotting whites would hit that like crazy.
I will ahve to Give Dave Weedman a call soon and ask them what they have seen in any of the latest surveys( if they did do surveys in the last 3 years).

the only thing I could think of that effected the Whites are the stripers, the bass have always been there crappie are starting to come back slowly, catfish have always been good. but thinking about it I have noticed that there are tons more carp.
Also the only other fish I have seen in decline over the last 20+ years is bluegill, but they always pick back up a year or 2 later. I have seen very little bluegill to tons of them like every 3-4 years it tends to yo-yo up and down.

Delw

@#muskielivesmatter
Old June 28th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #53
catchandrelease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delw View Post
I dont know was always curious. Maybe the stripers moved into their spawning grounds( up the river)? I've just noticed a huge decline of whites since the early 80s I mean a noticable decline. we have had 1or 2 years were it wasnt bad. but this had been a steady decline since the 2000's

it would be nothing to be bass fishing a tourny tossing jerkbaits cranks and blades to catch a half dozen whites, then winter time and spooning for bass you had to make it through the whites just to get to a bass same thing with dropshotting whites would hit that like crazy.
I will ahve to Give Dave Weedman a call soon and ask them what they have seen in any of the latest surveys( if they did do surveys in the last 3 years).

the only thing I could think of that effected the Whites are the stripers, the bass have always been there crappie are starting to come back slowly, catfish have always been good. but thinking about it I have noticed that there are tons more carp.
Also the only other fish I have seen in decline over the last 20+ years is bluegill, but they always pick back up a year or 2 later. I have seen very little bluegill to tons of them like every 3-4 years it tends to yo-yo up and down.

Delw
I use to love Ples. back in the day before the new dam, the whites were awesome and pound for pound outfight a striper or bass. LM fishing was great back then and it actually had some green on the shore lines.
Fishing has changed a lot over the years. I don`t worry or try to fish water obsessed with catching a big fish anymore. I do still work for big fish but settle for catching something these days. Been there done that for years & my best memories are are going to be the best fishing of my life. Lakes have changed, with more fishermen & women, tournaments etc. have put a lot of pressure on the fish. They get smart just like big game.
These have been some tough days for most of us from what I read.
As far as the striped bass at Ples. affecting other fish, they will for a while but the other fish will bounce back like at Powell.
catchandrelease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:01 PM   #54
mujiraharjo

Very Nice.....
mujiraharjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:32 PM   #55
Stevtech

I once heard a guy saying that he knows people that sell them. I think that is illegal too. I would assume it to be illegal to sell anything caught wild.
Stevtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:29 PM   #56
CatFishKing

I mostly just catch them and keep all the ones that are over a pound then give em to my dads friends since i don't eat them. If people want some I will be trying to go out atleast once if not twice a week for stripers once the water warms up so just give me a pm if you want some.
CatFishKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #57
Skunko!

Old May 11th, 2014, 09:43 PM   #58
ruslishpas

this is nice but I think we will find something different in amazon.com
ruslishpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 05:28 AM   #59
eo3510

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslishpas View Post
this is nice but I think we will find something different in amazon.com
Crap, my super secret striper spot has been exposed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blah, blah, blah, that's all i got to say about that~! roadkill46

You're a vile piece of shit. ThereHeIs
eo3510 is offline   Reply With Quote