Spotted Bass ?'s - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

April 29th, 2017     10:29 AM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fisheries/habitat

Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:33 AM   #1
Cavebacon

Spotted Bass ?'s

Why do the Arizona lakes not have spotted bass? What surveys or research has been done that has prevented them from being stocked? Is it money or water related or what?
Cavebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Paul Matthews

Lake Perris in SCAL was stocked with spots and at 1 time held the world record. Lm got in there and now they have taken over the lake. Theres hydrids in there but no more spots. That might be a limiting factor for Plez.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:04 PM   #3
redhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavebacon View Post
Why do the Arizona lakes not have spotted bass? What surveys or research has been done that has prevented them from being stocked? Is it money or water related or what?
Why would you want spotted bass over something like say FS LM or SM?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
redhammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Cavebacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhammer View Post

Not saying rather than, but in addition too. Seems like it would add to the mix that we have going on. The lakes that have spots, have LM and smallmouth so it wouldn't be like we would be introducing something new.
Old July 8th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #5
onthefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Matthews View Post
Lake Perris in SCAL was stocked with spots and at 1 time held the world record. Lm got in there and now they have taken over the lake. Theres hydrids in there but no more spots. That might be a limiting factor for Plez.
The Spots and LMB coexisted well, it was the Monster Florida Bluegill that did in the Spotted bass in lake Perris
onthefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #6
freestyle

IDK but Cal has some great spot fishing!
check out Matt Allen catch this 8lb spot.
http://tacticalbassin.com/
Old July 16th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #7
DChiWildcats

I grew up in the Bay Area and can attest to how awesome spotted bass fishing can be. There also seems to be a huge increase in the number of Magnum sized spots (7-10 pounds) being caught lately out of Bullards Bar, Oroville, New Melones, Whiskeytown, and McClure. (All Northern California foothill reservoirs).

I remember going back to San Pablo reservoir in the Bay Area a few years back and had an incredible day catching nothing but spots. This lake used to be known as a trophy largemouth lake with the record standing at 18 pounds and numerous 10 pound plus largemouth being brought in year after year and never had spots. It was never known as a place to fish for numbers of bass until the spots mysteriously showed up as there is no record of them being officially stocked into San Pablo.

Spotted bass will typically out compete largemouth in most situations and have taken hold at San Pablo. They do very very well in rocky, clear, deep reservoirs.

I would be willing to bet a good chunk of change that Lake Pleasant would be a phenomenal spotted bass fishery if they were introduced. AZ Game and Fish should give it some serious consideration. It would be awesome!
DChiWildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhammer View Post
What is FS?
Old July 16th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #9
Drew82

Florida strain I'm pretty sure is what he meant
Drew82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #10
Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew82 View Post
Florida strain I'm pretty sure is what he meant
thanks..that makes sense
Old July 16th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #11
beepbeep

Spots are said to be more aggressive than LM.
beepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #12
Cavebacon

I was wondering if Game and Fish has done any research? It would be nice if someone who knows could give us some insight. I don't know, but I would think that if we had spots in some of our lakes, the big tourney's would start coming back here. Seems like roosey has the ability to support them also, since we have an over population of Gizzard shad. I know our state is slow to change in some areas, but don't we think that research should be done to see how we can make our lakes competitive? This isn't meant to start some huge argument as I know how these threads turn out. It would be nice if an actual fishing thread could manage to go the entire distance without the heated debate that always seems to ensue.
Old July 30th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #13
fish4rent

You can look at Lake Shasta also, which use to have a great SM and LM population in the past, and now is overrun by spotted bass. Yes, spots are hella fun to catch, but LM and SM are far and few between on that lake now. Average size spot on that lake is 13 inches. We already have Bartlett for plenty of fish that size. A lake like Pleasant would be far better off with SM than Spots. Look at Havasu. SM came downstream and started competing against the Striper and chewing up the baby Stripers (big problem at Plez these days), and now it's one of the top fisheries around for both SM and LM. They took the pressure off the LM in tourneys and now both are thriving. That to myself and others I have talked to, would like to see G&F go that route. But the wall you run up against, is that G&F wants research and data to prove these factors. That's a long process. If you have completed research that can support your ideas from other states, that's the first stepping stone to getting them to listen. In the meantime, we're all wishing on stars...
Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:23 PM   #14
Cavebacon

Pleasant has SM now, and maybe that change that you speak of will happen there soon. I guess that Is what I was asking. I am from upstate New York. We have smallies. Love them, Apache was full of them. Roosey you use to be able to catch some. Now that is very few and far between for me anyway. Was just wondering what we knew about the spot species and what it might do for our fishing.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 05:17 AM   #15
Mamone

Spots would ruin most of our fisheries. Bad idea. Especially because Bait Bucket Charlies would stock them in most of the lakes that would really suffer with them.
Mamone is offline   Reply With Quote