Arizona Bass Zone

April 28th, 2017     01:22 AM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fisheries/habitat

Old August 15th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #16
eo3510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Manager View Post
I think this is what you're looking for. This graph is from a presentation given to our Commission at a public meeting in June of 2012 for FY budget years of 2014& 2015 and shows the breakdown of how the money will be spent.
Am I getting this right?

They'll contribute 2.3M to get matching funds of 7M. So, 9.3M allocated to that chart per year. (approximately).

So they spent just over 1/2 million on habitat development and just under 1/2 million to evaluate it each year. For how many years now?

Hmmm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blah, blah, blah, that's all i got to say about that~! roadkill46

You're a vile piece of shit. ThereHeIs
eo3510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #17
Spoonplugger

Thanks again Don, so it should look more like this:

Quote:
No, that 33% in fish production is everything (production, delivery, staffing, equipment, etc for State lakes) for our hatchery system.
99% Rainbow Trout production in state (~3 million Trout per year).

Assuming full budget is used based on FY13 Sport Fish Fund allotment:

Fed Sport Fish Trust Fund: $2,355,343.01
AZ G&F Project Cash: $583,835.75

$2,939,178.76 Total (roughly, $1 per trout)

Quote:
Our hatcheries do not produce fish for the urban program. The urban program buys 100% their fish from outside sources.

$796,139.66 - Fed Sport Fund + AZ G&F Project money to purchase Trout and Catfish for the Urban Fishing program, plus other Urban Fishing program expenses.

Urban fish stocking (200,000 pounds of fish per year is all I have found, versus any specific numbers of Catfish and Trout purchased).

Quote:
The 33% in fish management includes fish surveys, angler surveys, water quality, staffing, compliance documents in support of fisheries related projects, purchase of fish (other than trout) for stocking, equipment, etc.
In the short term, this looks like where some of the Roosevelt funding is located!

Almost 3 million dollars with 2.3 million of our trust fund ready to help...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AZ-UrbanStocking.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	37529  
Spoonplugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #18
Spoonplugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eo3510 View Post
So they spent just over 1/2 million on habitat development and just under 1/2 million to evaluate it each year. For how many years now?
The Sport Fund pie chart is for FY14/FY15, but I wouldn't expect it to be much different year to year. To understand exactly how our Sport Fish fund was utilized over the past 5 years, I think I'll have to contact the Federal Aid Coordinator to gather the specific project details.

Old August 15th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #19
eo3510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonplugger View Post
The Sport Fund pie chart is for FY14/FY15, but I wouldn't expect it to be much different year to year. To understand exactly how our Sport Fish fund was utilized over the past 5 years, I think I'll have to contact the Federal Aid Coordinator to gather the specific project details.
Still, $500,000.00 a year on habitat evaluation.

In another perspective, five FTEs @ 100k / year, evaluating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blah, blah, blah, that's all i got to say about that~! roadkill46

You're a vile piece of shit. ThereHeIs
eo3510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #20
Spoonplugger

Between Habitat Evaluation and Habitat Development, it is almost $1,000,000 per year. That should get some new habitat for some of our lakes. Maybe if you look at them combined, it makes more sense...

11% of the our Sport Fish Fund on habitat improvement.

There is a typo the Sport Fund Breakdown spreadsheet picture and I can't go back and edit it at this point -- I have Habitat Evaluation in two places, instead of the 6% as Habitat Development.
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #21
Spoonplugger

I did find the numbers of trout and catfish that are purchased each year to stock the 21 Urban Lakes.

65,000 Trout (10-13 inches) from Colorado
107,000 Catfish (13-18 inches) ...and some Bluegill from Arkansas

These are pretty expensive fish: $640,000 to purchase and transport... and 9% of our Sport Fish Fund.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AZ-Urban-TroutCatfish.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	37641  
Old August 16th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #22
Fish Manager

Habitat evaluation, includes the invasive species program, water, riparian and aquatic habitats, including evaluation of impacts to those resources and identification of mitigation and/or conservation measures to minimize potential impacts. An example of some of the things they do are review Dept. of Water Resources Water Protection Fund Grant applications, Review in-stream flow applications for the Dept. of Water Resources, Habitat Conservation Plan (HCP) coordination, Colorado River Multi-species Conservation Plan (MSCP), Aquatic Habitat Improvement projects, Transportation projects affecting aquatic/riparian habitats, Review development plans affecting aquatic resources. All of these things are tied back to our managing of your fishing resource.

The urban program is only partially funded through DJ, a large portion of that program's funding comes from a trust fund that has been set up to collect fees from participating entities. Each city or town that has lakes in the urban program pays a fee to be involved in the program. That fee is put in the trust fund to partially fund the program.

Spoon, I'm not following your math in your previous post, but yes, fish management is where the funding would come from for a project at a specific lake. Additionally, there could be a combination of any of the other programs shown in the pie chart involved as well spending a portion of their DJ on a specific project.

But keep in mind that the 3 mil based on your numbers that your looking at in Fish management is split up between 6 regions and the fish branch in Phx to fund statewide activities. Its not a lump sum just looking for a place to be spent. It pays for what I do down here in the south, what the guys in Yuma do, water quality programs statewide, etc.....
555 N. Greasewood Rd.
Tucson, AZ. 85745
(520) 388-4451

Fish Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #23
Spoonplugger

Quote:
The urban program is only partially funded through DJ, a large portion of that program's funding comes from a trust fund that has been set up to collect fees from participating entities. Each city or town that has lakes in the urban program pays a fee to be involved in the program. That fee is put in the trust fund to partially fund the program.
Thanks. It also looks like the Heritage Fund is another place that can fund projects for some of the Urban Fishing Program.

Quote:
Spoon, I'm not following your math in your previous post, but yes, fish management is where the funding would come from for a project at a specific lake.
Can you let me know the exact math? I am trying to get the funding picture as accurate as I can.

Most of the information on AZ G&F funding and operations seems to be publically available, but it is scattered. So by piecing it together from documents on the Internet, I know it won't be perfectly accurate. Posting it here and having people question the data definitely helps -- thanks.

Quote:
But keep in mind that the 3 mil based on your numbers that your looking at in Fish management is split up between 6 regions and the fish branch in Phx to fund statewide activities. Its not a lump sum just looking for a place to be spent. It pays for what I do down here in the south, what the guys in Yuma do, water quality programs statewide, etc.....
Absolutely. The idea is to figure out the funding at a macro level to at least get an idea where money is budgeted for warm water management. After that is narrowed down, at least we will be in the right place to start looking at details.

Longer term, the idea is to change the warm water sport fish management policy away from the current sustained-yield/disaster recovery model.

Last edited by Spoonplugger; August 16th, 2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #24
Spoonplugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonplugger View Post
These are pretty expensive fish: $640,000 to purchase and transport... and 9% of our Sport Fish Fund.
I think I should have added the reference to $640,000 to purchase and transport the ~175,000 Urban Program fish. This might have caused some confusion.

The 9% Sport Fund Usage for the Urban Fish program is called out in the Sport Fish pie chart, which is roughly $640,000 of the Sport Fish Fund allotment.

I'm not an expert fish buyer, but this does seem like premium priced trout and catfish--Maybe AZ is getting a good deal on these fish, but it seems like an expensive way to stock.

Potential year over year savings here might help the position for warm-water hatchery operations in AZ.

From the Urban Fish Guide...

http://www.azgfd.gov/regs/urbanregs.pdf

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AZ-UrbanStockingCost.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	37642  
Old August 16th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #25
Paul Matthews

I'm wondering if the new license fees that will implemented will generate more $$ over time to support the whole program rather $$$'s earmarked from urban fishing licenses trout ect.. I'm thinking there will be a cost reduction in a streamlined license as well. 3 million trout seems like a lot of $$$ to support a fishery that is basicly 6 months and very little carry over. I have never understood put and take mentality as a whole. It's great for urban lakes for kids, but it seems like a huge cost for little return.
Old August 16th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #26
jbv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Matthews View Post
I'm wondering if the new license fees that will implemented will generate more $$ over time to support the whole program rather $$$'s earmarked from urban fishing licenses trout ect.. I'm thinking there will be a cost reduction in a streamlined license as well. 3 million trout seems like a lot of $$$ to support a fishery that is basicly 6 months and very little carry over. I have never understood put and take mentality as a whole. It's great for urban lakes for kids, but it seems like a huge cost for little return.
And many never understand the mentality of spending 10s of thousands of dollars to chase around a green carp that if you're lucky enough to catch, you promptly release it.

Seriously though, I'm curious about the new license structure as well. It's my understanding that the Urban program was paid for by the cities and by the Urban license fees. Without the specific license fee (coupled with the fact that a huge chunk of us buy a combo hunt/fish license anyways which is only going up $3), I would think the accounting will get messier.
jbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #27
crazy cranker

Why do I hear the sound of crickets all of a sudden?

crazy cranker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #28
bassackwardz

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy cranker View Post
Why do I hear the sound of crickets all of a sudden?
Are you sure it's not the sound of this?
bassackwardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #29
Boat Cop

I just hear a ringing in my ears and see turtles when I close my eyes that no one else can see!!!!!!
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #30
Delw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat Cop View Post
I just hear a ringing in my ears and see turtles when I close my eyes that no one else can see!!!!!!
Quit watching reruns of Teenage mutant ninja turtles before work every day and you'll quit seeing turtles when you close your eyes.... Well that is unless you like to see turtles.

Delw

@#muskielivesmatter
@#bullsharklivesmattermore
Delw is offline   Reply With Quote