Roosevelt and Florida Strain - Page 2 - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

April 29th, 2017     10:32 AM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fisheries/habitat

Old December 21st, 2013, 09:21 AM   #16
Drew82

After reading all the replies on this thread I have to say I like rookieboys idea the best
Drew82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2013, 10:01 AM   #17
Lone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieBoy View Post
How about Peacock bass?
Get some three bar action in AZ!!
I like your line of thinking Matt! Those Peacock bass are ferocious! But I'm not sure they would survive the winter as they like warm water. The southern third of Florida now has peacock bass but I think most of the Peacock bass are in South America.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 03:24 PM   #18
Drew82

Most are in South America but you'd be surprised in what they can addapt to, I've seen them in tanks live under strange sercumstances
Drew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2013, 09:46 PM   #19
Obewan

The Gizzard Shad (GS) problem has been under study by AZGF since around 2005, 8 years ago. About all that has been accomplished is a study, followed by another study, and then followed by yet another study. Is there even a action plan or proposal beyond putting fish habitat in the form of reef balls into the lakes?

Several years back after the (suspected) Golden Alga kills an impromptu plan to harvest smallmouth bass from Roosevelt lake and transplant them into Apache. The plan failed, anglers were suppose to catch the fish and then turn them in, into what I believe was a waiting transfer truck. Rumors were people up in Tonto basin were unhappy because Roosevelt lake has only a fair smallmouth bass population and those who fish for this species felt like they were being infringed upon. Then the time of year this was conducted was not the best time to catch smallmouth bass so this plan failed.

AZGF has presented their data at the Roundtable meetings showing a decline in bass as seen from their surveys and monitoring tournament catches like the FLW. One of their proposals is to purchase bass and restock the declining population. I support this as do most of us anglers, problem is we buy 6 inch Florida stain bass and stock the lake with these fish. How many from every 1000 fish transplanted will survive to maturity. How long will it take for them to have a positive impact and put a dent into the GS population. The old saying you have to fight fire with fire says we will need to be thinking of transplanting in the range of 6 digits, well over 100,000 fish. The cost can range from $2 to $3 per fish. And the fish must be certified as disease free.

AZFG has stated they want anglers to harvest largemouth bass from Bartlett lake. It is believed that the lake is overpopulated and that is suspected of being the reason most fish in that lake, a large percentage are in the 1 to 3 pound range.

So we have one lake that we are looking at stocking Roosevelt and another suspected of being overpopulated Bartlett. Why would it not be in the best interest to have anglers harvest bass from Bartlett lake and then AZGF transports them to Roosevelt. Yes the smallmouth bass harvesting at Roosevelt lake failed. But I think a plan to harvest large mouth bass from Bartlett I strongly believe has a better chance of succeeding.

As a suggestion use a boat slip at the marina and place a large net into the water securing it at the boat tie downs. Remove the fish limit from Bartlett for a few weeks, a month or more for just this program only not to stock your freezer or a neighborhood fish fry. Have the anglers drop off their fish into the net and the angler informs the marina of the deposit so they can keep track of how many fish are being dropped into the net. You will need to feed the bass with some shad ever other day, but that cost is pocket change. Then weekly (or as often as needed) pull up the net and collect the bass and AZGF hauls them up to Roosevelt. Collect the fish from tournaments. Anglers would be doing a large percentage of the labor and the out of pocket cost is to themselves. The cost would be for the net, shad, the truck to haul the fish, AZFG support and even anglers donating their time. The cost is almost negligible.

If we cannot get a warm water fish hatchery consider using Bartlett lake. Proceed with purchasing 6 inch Florida large mouth bass and even consider stocking Roosevelt and Bartlett with the same fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob
Obewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:58 AM   #20
crazy cranker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
Crazy Cranker - I seem to remember someone telling me 7-8 years ago that Saguaro also received some Florida strain largemouth bass back in the 1970's. Is it possible that in 1970 and 1972 that Saguaro was stocked also? Thanks.
It is possible but I have not seen any reports of that. I do know that as it relates to Saguaro in 2008 it was stocked with 50,000 northern fingerlings, 23,000 Florida strain and 1,000 smallmouth.

crazy cranker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:06 AM   #21
crazy cranker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obewan View Post
If we cannot get a warm water fish hatchery consider using Bartlett lake. Proceed with purchasing 6 inch Florida large mouth bass and even consider stocking Roosevelt and Bartlett with the same fish.
According the G&F the Bubbling Ponds hatchery focuses on Arizona’s native fish such as razorback sucker, Colorado pikeminnow, and roundtail chub which is a native sportfish, but the hatchery also produces a small number of largemouth bass, bluegill, and channel catfish. Why couldn't the focus on production at this hatchery be geared exclusively toward largemouth at least for the near future?

Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:58 AM   #22
Franklin J

Quote:
The Gizzard Shad (GS) problem has been under study by AZGF since around 2005, 8 years ago. About all that has been accomplished is a study, followed by another study, and then followed by yet another study. Is there even a action plan or proposal beyond putting fish habitat in the form of reef balls into the lakes?

Several years back after the (suspected) Golden Alga kills an impromptu plan to harvest smallmouth bass from Roosevelt lake and transplant them into Apache. The plan failed, anglers were suppose to catch the fish and then turn them in, into what I believe was a waiting transfer truck. Rumors were people up in Tonto basin were unhappy because Roosevelt lake has only a fair smallmouth bass population and those who fish for this species felt like they were being infringed upon. Then the time of year this was conducted was not the best time to catch smallmouth bass so this plan failed.

AZGF has presented their data at the Roundtable meetings showing a decline in bass as seen from their surveys and monitoring tournament catches like the FLW. One of their proposals is to purchase bass and restock the declining population. I support this as do most of us anglers, problem is we buy 6 inch Florida stain bass and stock the lake with these fish. How many from every 1000 fish transplanted will survive to maturity. How long will it take for them to have a positive impact and put a dent into the GS population. The old saying you have to fight fire with fire says we will need to be thinking of transplanting in the range of 6 digits, well over 100,000 fish. The cost can range from $2 to $3 per fish. And the fish must be certified as disease free.

AZFG has stated they want anglers to harvest largemouth bass from Bartlett lake. It is believed that the lake is overpopulated and that is suspected of being the reason most fish in that lake, a large percentage are in the 1 to 3 pound range.

So we have one lake that we are looking at stocking Roosevelt and another suspected of being overpopulated Bartlett. Why would it not be in the best interest to have anglers harvest bass from Bartlett lake and then AZGF transports them to Roosevelt. Yes the smallmouth bass harvesting at Roosevelt lake failed. But I think a plan to harvest large mouth bass from Bartlett I strongly believe has a better chance of succeeding.

As a suggestion use a boat slip at the marina and place a large net into the water securing it at the boat tie downs. Remove the fish limit from Bartlett for a few weeks, a month or more for just this program only not to stock your freezer or a neighborhood fish fry. Have the anglers drop off their fish into the net and the angler informs the marina of the deposit so they can keep track of how many fish are being dropped into the net. You will need to feed the bass with some shad ever other day, but that cost is pocket change. Then weekly (or as often as needed) pull up the net and collect the bass and AZGF hauls them up to Roosevelt. Collect the fish from tournaments. Anglers would be doing a large percentage of the labor and the out of pocket cost is to themselves. The cost would be for the net, shad, the truck to haul the fish, AZFG support and even anglers donating their time. The cost is almost negligible.

Drain Rosy and start over.........
Franklin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 02:49 PM   #23
Obewan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy cranker View Post
According the G&F the Bubbling Ponds hatchery focuses on Arizona’s native fish such as razorback sucker, Colorado pikeminnow, and roundtail chub which is a native sportfish, but the hatchery also produces a small number of largemouth bass, bluegill, and channel catfish. Why couldn't the focus on production at this hatchery be geared exclusively toward largemouth at least for the near future?
That was discussed in a Roundtable a few years back and to dedicate this hatchery for bass the cost was $9 Million in upgades.

Bob
Old December 22nd, 2013, 02:52 PM   #24
Obewan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin J View Post
Drain Rosy and start over.........
If Phil Gordon gets his way and we start building those saline plants in Mexico to pump fresh water North maybe they can use that to refill Roosevelt lake.

How's those TAD and SPU running?

Bob
Old December 22nd, 2013, 03:56 PM   #25
Franklin J

Quote:
If Phil Gordon gets his way and we start building those saline plants in Mexico to pump fresh water North maybe they can use that to refill Roosevelt lake.

How's those TAD and SPU running?
Oh geez you had to bring up work....

Im on vacation till friday
Franklin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 04:01 PM   #26
Obewan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin J View Post
Oh geez you had to bring up work....

Im on vacation till friday
Same here...BTW I installed a few of them!

Bob
Old December 30th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #27
crazy cranker

Quote:
That was discussed in a Roundtable a few years back and to dedicate this hatchery for bass the cost was $9 Million in upgades.
$9 million in upgrades? What the hell does G&F think LM & SM are - saltwater fish? Just another BS excuse. Suspend hatching bluegills, razorback suckers, Colorado pike minnows, round tail chubs and catfish and dedicate the whole thing to hatching bass.

Old December 30th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #28
crazy cranker

Quote:
$9 million in upgrades? What the hell does G&F think LM & SM are - saltwater fish? Just another BS excuse. Suspend hatching bluegills, razorback suckers, Colorado pike minnows, round tail chubs and catfish and dedicate the whole thing to hatching bass.
Michigan built the Oden State Fish Hatchery complete from the ground up for $11 million! So to do an upgrade shouldn't even be close to $9 million.

Old December 30th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #29
catch'n

Quote:
Have to say I chuckled a bit at that response myself. Warm water species should be easier to grow/maintain than trout. At least bass should be anyway. Trout are frickin panzies that die if you look at them worng. 9 mil in upgrades to grow bass??? ....
catch'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 03:20 PM   #30
crazy cranker

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch'n View Post
Have to say I chuckled a bit at that response myself. Warm water species should be easier to grow/maintain than trout. At least bass should be anyway. Trout are frickin panzies that die if you look at them worng. 9 mil in upgrades to grow bass??? ....
Yup, guaranteed now the only thing we will hear are crickets!