The smell at Bartlett dam - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

April 29th, 2017     10:28 AM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fisheries/habitat

Old May 31st, 2014, 11:17 AM   #1
BucketMouth

The smell at Bartlett dam

Has anyone notice the sewer smell near Bartlett dam? It's been there for years. I've long suspected the marinas leech field was seeping out of the ground somewhere, but now I think the marinas waste has been leaking into the lake this whole time. Either way there's been a serious leak there recently.

Here's the most recent (May,2014) google earth image from the marina.

If you follow that brown line down to the dam. You see it going straight into our water.

Yummy.

Looks like it's been leaking for a while. Thoughts?
BucketMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2014, 12:13 PM   #2
VIVIsectI

Not sure what you are pointing out here in these pictures, but I am highly doubtful of any such leak...
VIVIsectI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 12:40 PM   #3
QUANTUM

Noticed it last weekend fishing the damn area.....smells like a shithouse down there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"SLOW ROLLIN"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
QUANTUM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2014, 01:15 PM   #4
nolord

Wtf?
Interesting...
Debris?

Last edited by nolord; May 31st, 2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Del sold out
nolord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 01:30 PM   #5
BucketMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVIsectI View Post
Not sure what you are pointing out here in these pictures, but I am highly doubtful of any such leak...
The massive brown streak running out of the marina all the way to the dam. Go here on google maps to see it better. Don't believe it's sewage? Go give it a whiff.

All those houseboats have toilets. A PVC sewer system on the docks is prone to leaks do to wakes, high winds, lake level fluctuations etc. Small leaks are common. Big leaks are usually discovered quickly, because your system loses suction and stops working. Probably a medium sized leak that went (is still?) undetected.
Old May 31st, 2014, 03:57 PM   #6
catchandrelease

Where else do you think the waste goes, can`t go up hill.
I`m sure it`s the same as Rosy. The treatment plant is the building in the parking lot above the marina. Gets pretty ripe smelling in the summer and the reclaimed water goes right back into the lake below the marina parking at the camping area where people swim and camp all the time.
catchandrelease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 06:25 PM   #7
BucketMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchandrelease View Post
Where else do you think the waste goes, can`t go up hill.
It can and does go uphill. A pump sucks the waste from the slips, passes it thru a grinder then pumps it up the hill to a leech field. There is no treatment. I don't think a treatment exists that would allow them to pump it straight back into the lake.
Old May 31st, 2014, 07:26 PM   #8
catchandrelease

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketMouth View Post
It can and does go uphill. A pump sucks the waste from the slips, passes it thru a grinder then pumps it up the hill to a leech field. There is no treatment. I don't think a treatment exists that would allow them to pump it straight back into the lake.
The waste goes up hill like you said with a pump to the treatment facility from the marina but not from the boats directly , they come and pump out your boat with a tank on a pontoon boat at Rosy and hook up to a line to drain the pontoon boat tank up to the plant. No boats are directly connected to a waste line at the marina.
The plant also services the trailer park across the street with direct sewer line connections.
After it hits the treatment building it goes back down hill into the lake.
I don`t think any other marinas have boats in slips connected to sewer lines anywhere.
My HB came from Plez and went to Rosy no direct connections at either. Don`t think DEQ or park svs etc. allow that.
catchandrelease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 08:17 PM   #9
BucketMouth

Bartlett marina has pump-outs all along the docks for the houseboats.
Again, there is no treatment. Waste is sent into a leech field.
I've worked on their waste system. Unless they've completely redesigned it recently, it works as I've stated.
Old May 31st, 2014, 09:24 PM   #10
Onemorebite

Sure looks like something is coming out of the marina cove to the damn in the picture, and the nose doesn't lie! Do not know what is up but something seems wrong.
Onemorebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 10:01 PM   #11
Delw

Thats wood chips sand and other floating debri that is colored brown. its there every year at bartlett and has been for a ton of years even when there was a dirt road.
the smell usually comes when we get real high heat and humidity usually the smell is on the east end of the dam.
come july it will be worse then in aug and sept with monsoons and run off you will get that brown streak.

Delw

@#muskielivesmatter
@#bullsharklivesmattermore
Delw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 10:34 PM   #12
BucketMouth

I was hoping it was just floating debri from the recent lake level changes. The smell of course doesn't prove anything because it's been there for years. Still strange the way the smell builds up near the dam. Can't smell it near the marina.
Old May 31st, 2014, 10:34 PM   #13
camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delw View Post
Thats wood chips sand and other floating debri that is colored brown. its there every year at bartlett and has been for a ton of years even when there was a dirt road.
the smell usually comes when we get real high heat and humidity usually the smell is on the east end of the dam.
come july it will be worse then in aug and sept with monsoons and run off you will get that brown streak.

Delw
I don't need to hear about your summer time brown streak:0! Haaaaaaaha!
camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 05:53 AM   #14
Fishless

SRP has divers working on the dam right now along with surface crews, you would think if they were seeing and smelling anything unusual they would be reporting it to someone?
Old June 1st, 2014, 08:18 AM   #15
nolord

Shit happens..

nolord is offline   Reply With Quote