Lake Mead dropped 8 Feet in the past 2 days! - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

April 29th, 2017     10:30 AM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fisheries/habitat

Old May 24th, 2015, 06:25 AM   #1
Diablo

Lake Mead dropped 8 Feet in the past 2 days!

Guys,

This is not your typical "Lake Mead Historic Low Level Story". This is water loss over the past two days of Historic Proportions if correct.

Typical water loss over the past month was 1 - 6 inches. Outflows and inflows stayed the same. On Friday there was an earthquake in the vicinity of Las Vegas. That day (friday) Lake Mead dropped an incredible 20 inches. Then last night the water level was updated and on Saturday (yesterday), according to US Bureau of Reclamation, Lake Mead dropped an additional 6.38 FEET!

I'm posting this in hopes that someone reading is at Lake Mead and can give a first hand account. If it dropped 8 feet in two days it would be very noticeable. According to US Bureau of Reclamation, Lake Mead went from 37% to 34% capacity in two days. Losing 10% of the water in the Lake. That's over 250 BILLION GALLONS of water lost in two days?

Is it just a bad gauge or is something really happening?

http://lakemead.water-data.com

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting......."holy shit!.......what a ride!!!"
Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2015, 06:34 AM   #2
redhammer

Wow hoping its a bad gauge....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
redhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2015, 08:41 AM   #3
BassTrix

If true, it's going to be interesting to see where the water shows up.

Old May 24th, 2015, 09:17 AM   #4
BassTrix

I called one of the marina's and they reported nothing unusual has happened regarding lake level.
Old May 24th, 2015, 10:14 AM   #5
DaPompous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassTrix View Post
I called one of the marina's and they reported nothing unusual has happened regarding lake level.
I checked the water levels. It did drop like 8 feet. This has happened before in history. Not to mead but other parts of the world. If that lake level starts going up again real fast with the lost water returning, a mega quake usually happens. I would.be watching Mead if I lived in Vegas.
DaPompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2015, 01:15 PM   #6
Bob La Londe

The guys on Wayne's World (another forum) seem to think its more likely sensor malfunction and/or a shift in sensors due to the quake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob La Londe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #7
Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
The guys on Wayne's World (another forum) seem to think its more likely sensor malfunction and/or a shift in sensors due to the quake.
That's the way I'm leaning. The hourly charts show the elevation in the 1077 range. The webcams show no drop from yesterday to today.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting......."holy shit!.......what a ride!!!"
Old May 24th, 2015, 04:40 PM   #8
Fishless

I would of thought something like that would of been on the news by now as that would be a major event?
Old May 24th, 2015, 05:25 PM   #9
DaPompous

It is a broken gauge. But some scientist was studying that area. He said there are lots of minor earthquakes all the time by the dam when it fills up. Makes sense because there is over 20 dormant volcanoes near the dam. The scientist didn't like the fact they built the dam so close to a volcano. He didn't think the load of the water on the side of a volcano was a bright idea. There is a hot spring close to the dam. Mile marker 4 on the arizona side there is a turn off that leads to a trailhead. You can hike to the hot spring. Not a bad hike. I think the water comes out at 118 degrees so it is a good winter hike. But the hot spring is a good indicator that area has magma real close.
Old May 25th, 2015, 10:02 AM   #10
BassTrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPompous View Post
I checked the water levels. It did drop like 8 feet. This has happened before in history. Not to mead but other parts of the world. If that lake level starts going up again real fast with the lost water returning, a mega quake usually happens. I would.be watching Mead if I lived in Vegas.
I find it interesting you'd believe an internet chart over an eyewitness accounting...
Old May 25th, 2015, 12:00 PM   #11
DaPompous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassTrix View Post
I find it interesting you'd believe an internet chart over an eyewitness accounting...
LOL lesson learned. Never trust a government website. The ground is still shaking up there. Caliente, NV and Saint George, Ut. keep having aftershocks. Next aftershock should be soon. There is two areas up there shaking. Hope it settles and this isn't a for runner for a bigger event. No one knows for sure.
Old May 25th, 2015, 12:01 PM   #12
Basser

I fished it last weekend and again yesterday it did not drop 8 feet. It was down maybe 2 to 3 inch's. The ramps at Temple and South cove are in bad shape but still luseable.
Old May 26th, 2015, 08:52 AM   #13
DaPompous

I did some research yesterday. The earthquake that hit Vegas had a epicenter that was located in the caliente caldera complex. There has been numerous minor quakes since the first quake in the Caliente caldera complex. Hopefully the super volcano is just settling and not coming back to life.
Old May 26th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #14
DaPompous

6 more quakes in the last two hours on that dormant volcano. The strongest was reduced from a 3.5 to a 3. There sure is a lot of aftershocks compared to earthquakes that just recently happened around the world.
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #15
Diablo

Volcano in Galapagos Islands blew today as well. I think that makes 41 volcanos erupting in the world at the same time. Things are shaking.