Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Late Jan Oviachic Report

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Charlie 
#1 · (Edited)
Lake Oviachic Fishing Report
Jan 26, 27, 28, 2016
AM water temp 58-60, Air 48-54
PM water temp 65-67, Air high 70’s
Island water depth out front of MDR was 8' on first day (13' 2 weeks ago)
I had to fly solo again with another no go compadre at the last minute, not so happy, but no problems coming or going on the roads but launching with that morning wind...another story.
First day (Tue) was about 70 fish boated and an increase about 10 more each day over the next two days. Not great but not bad. First day BF was 6 lbs on a lizard in late afternoon. Second day was 5 lbs on TW first thing, and then 7 lbs on a jerkbait the last day right close to noon. Mornings were usually better with a noticeable lag midday. Most of my fish seemed to come in 6-8’ until my shoulder problem screamed ‘no mas’ the last day about 10:30 am so I got in my rod box to get a LH reel rigged rod out as a righty was wearing me out and the hard jerkbait on my LH reel with 15 lb test seemed to be the ticket as the catching and size picked up immediately working water 2-4’. A whole lot more 3-5 lb fish than previous in the trip and the 7 lb BF of the trip! Too bad I didn’t get on this bite sooner.
I did go up above LR II the first day about mid morning and thought I was in a tourney again. I easily counted a dozen or more boats from the rock to the LH river turn on my way back and decided that not only was that too much traffic for me, but the catching was not impressive in size nor numbers so that I would not go back. The water is looking good again finally and even more clear than ever. I did go several miles up past the hard LH turn to where I could see the river water tower and there were some fish up there scattered around but with 3 pounds the biggest, it didn’t seem worth the run to me. I continue to be amazed at the good-to-great TW fishery this lake has turned into. With the water temps so much colder now than Nov, I thought it would be all done for awhile but many places still held a good TW bite, even with the water level falling. A popper was all I used.
Road construction has got more widespread with two 1-way road sharing experiences just north of Hermosillo, along with the multiple times back and forth from the Guyamas toll booth to Obregon. And they are in phase two of the road improvements on the turn-off road to the lake. It’s all a pain now but the finished product will be great and it does seem to be moving quicker for MX standards. That new concrete main highway ought to last for years without so many potholes.
PERMITS: Many of us think that vehicle and possibly boat permits are a thing of the past in Sonora but I’m not so sure. I wasn’t asked for nor hassled again in any way but some friends that came down late in the night Wed were asked to produce all of the above at a road block in Vicam and they had them so no problem but even if it is a law…it’s MX and the policeman that stops you may never have heard they aren’t required…? I think the road block had more to do with the late hour and I try not to travel at night anyway but you never know and if you’ve got a boat behind you, you could be a harassment target. The driving time was 8 ½ hours coming and going with a 33 minute US border stop on the way home. The local $ exchange rate is up to 19-1 so you’re dollars go further and with the price of USA fuel, it’s cheaper to go than in many years.

I forgot to add an experience I had my last day while finishing lunch and heard what sounded like a baby crying or a varmit call. I started fishing again and 30 yards down the bank in thick trees the biggest bobcat or small puma ??? jumps up and runs off followed shortly by a small deer out of the same thicket. That's a first!
Sam Sherwood
1/30/16

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Vertigo or not to go

Well...as it turns out, it may not have been a terminal Vertigo case after all. After consulting with competent medical help, they suggested I check what meds I might have used. Turns out I did get up out of bed the night before with an aching back and then laid right back down after taking 2 prescription strength 'Aleve' but when all else fails, READ THE DIRECTIONS SAM!. After a few days home, then I read the directions. It reads on bottle to take one, take with food, don't lay down for at least 30 minutes. I was 0 for 0 on all accounts. My bad!!

#8 ·
Nice report. Just returned today, 2/1. I too had heard vehicle permits were no longer necessary, but decided to stop at Empalme just in case. I figured if permits were no longer required in Sonora, then they would no longer be selling the Only Sonora vehicle permit, and therefore my stop would be short. Well, they were in fact selling the Only Sonora permit, so I got one. They said you still need it. A $50 permit is cheap insurance against a potential vehicle impoundment. Me and my buddy fished the Oviachic Bass Tournament, was a lot of fun met lots of great people.

#10 ·
Charlie, since we were fishing the tournament, we fished a little differently than what I normally do. We were specifically targetting big fish, and concentrated almost exclusively on points, not so much main lake but more interior points. We still caught probably 50-60 fish per day, but we caught 14 lbs (2 fish) on day 1 and 14.5 lbs (2 fish) on day 2 which was good enough for 1st place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.