Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

How to avoid a boat crash

22K views 39 replies 35 participants last post by  kjolee 
#1 ·
BOATING RULES OF THE ROAD
When overtaking and passing another boat, the boat being passed has right of way, and the passing boat is required to stay clear.(100ft)
When meeting another boat head-on, stay to the right. Many bass boats will run faster then 70 mph and the drivers often take short cuts by running the left side of bends and turns. This means they may meet a boat driver doing the right thing, keeping right, head on. If it is another bass boat and both are running 70 mph plus, there is not much time to avoid an accident.
When two boats are crossing paths, the boat on the left must slow down and allow the other boat to pass.
This is just a few rules that boaters don't seem to follow,there are a few more.As fisherman we spend countless hours learning all we can about catching Bass but it doesn't seem that most fishermen will spend 15 minuets to learn the rules of the road for operating our boats or in some cases just don't care.If you are not sure of the rules please take the time to read them.It only takes a few minutes of your time and we will all be safer on the water.Here is a good website to learn the rules of the road http://fishing.about.com/od/basicfishinginstruction/a/aa040525a.htm
Good Fishing

#7 ·
The regs also say passing on the other side is permitted if doing is safe.

The really big deal is for the driver to keep his eyes open and use good judgment. It's that last part that's the challenge for some drivers out there.

#14 ·
Was at Sag a few weeks ago fishing with the kids. Took off at first light and got to our spot and a wakeboard boat was already going back and forth. Must of had the same idea of trying to get out on the water before everyone else. Fished with my kids for a bit trying to ignore the wakeboard boat going back and forth. After about 1 hr, I couldn't count how many were going back and forth and they were as close as 30 yards away from us. Trying to manage the boat from taking in water was not fun. Finally one wave got us pretty good and I had enough. Some people don't have any courtesy.

#15 ·
The crossing paths and the boat on the left yeilds part is one I think most dont know. I almost got in a nasty accident on havasu in 05 as the boat on the left did not yeild to me. Learn the rules before taking your boat out. Thank god I was aware and causious of other idiots or I might not be here now and I am sure most of you can say the same.

#16 ·
My Experience:

Had to comment here......first off I am super safe. I've boated all my life mostly in the midwest. I'd have to say the "weekend warriors" here in AZ are the most unsafe bunch of boaters I've ever seen anywhere....period.

I was anchored by the 1702 last year for stripers......literally along the cliff walls (not in the middle). A ski boat (drinkers????) passed by at full speed so close that I needed to reel my jigging rod in. This jag off actually tried to give me a high five as they passed by. I almost shat myself. I've never been so pissed. I waited for him to come back....I was ready to rumble......but there were 6 - 7 of them......& 2 of us.

S

#19 ·
Had to comment here......first off I am super safe. I've boated all my life mostly in the midwest. I'd have to say the "weekend warriors" here in AZ are the most unsafe bunch of boaters I've ever seen anywhere....period.

I was anchored by the 1702 last year for stripers......literally along the cliff walls (not in the middle). A ski boat (drinkers????) passed by at full speed so close that I needed to reel my jigging rod in. This jag off actually tried to give me a high five as they passed by. I almost shat myself. I've never been so pissed. I waited for him to come back....I was ready to rumble......but there were 6 - 7 of them......& 2 of us.

S
Remember that most people that live in AZ are from somewhere in the midwest or California...... Just sayin'

They're the same everywhere, but here there are only a few bodies of water for them to congregate on. In the midwest, there are hundreds...

#34 ·
Exactly. Know of a guy through a friend that decided to get tough and wave a glock at a lady on the freeway who cut him off and then proceeded to extend the courtesy of her middle finger. CCW carrier, responsible dude, no record, got sentenced to 1 year in the slammer for that one little flash. Keep it concealed unless your life is in danger and there are no other options. Firing at passing boaters or even waving a firearm will most certainly land you time in the big house.

#40 ·
Exactly. Know of a guy through a friend that decided to get tough and wave a glock at a lady on the freeway who cut him off and then proceeded to extend the courtesy of her middle finger. CCW carrier, responsible dude, no record, got sentenced to 1 year in the slammer for that one little flash. Keep it concealed unless your life is in danger and there are no other options. Firing at passing boaters or even waving a firearm will most certainly land you time in the big house.
:Iconrotfl

You quoted someone that is probably in prison...

#21 ·
Always good to know the rules of the road...and what all those bouys, and colors really mean!

As an offshore sailor and racer, I am certified in rules of right of way, navigation, etc...and yes, even on small bodies of water, they apply, and usually make sense.

Simple to remember...think of driving your car...stay to the right when head on (we drive in the right lane)....when you pass, you are the 'aggressor', and the other guy gets the right of way....when (crossing paths) at a 4way stop sign, the car on the left gives way to the car on the right....

All the above apply to boats, too.

Of course, driving in the valley, not too many people know the rules of the road either!

=)

#22 ·
Seems like there's an exception to that "crossing paths" rule....I think if the boat to your left is significantly larger then they still get the right of way? I think it's because boats don't have good brakes or something....

#23 ·
i always slow down when passing people , especially when they are in smaller boats than i am

#27 ·
I agree with Team Triton

Not that fisherman are perfect but the jet boaters are much worse and the jet skiers are just plain oblivious. I pulled an all nighter at Plez last summer and was nicely anchored at the end of the point by Waddell when some jack ass in a ski boat made about three passes by us at full speed and then parked 100 yards away with his music blasting. So much for a peaceful evening outdoors. The real funny part was his bragging to the girl on board about how bad ass he was being the only guy on the lake at that hour.

#30 ·
Several times I have. Been out me and family on my boat and seems the worst ones are the wake boats many times and almost at least once a time we are out a wake boat will pass by with in 20 to 30 yards away! The wake off there boats are so big! Sometimes water comes over! One time had family with me flag up wife and kids in water a wake boat comes by 20 yards from us ! I yell at the guy hay can't you see the flag? He just waves and smiles ! Think the get a kick out of it. This guy went by again with another boat with him always out numbered ! What should a guy do? Call it in ? Will the really do anything about it? By the way this was all at Roosevelt lake!

#31 ·
the last five decades or so, I've had more than my share of run in's with idgits, last time was ugly, damm near got my arse handed to me. but the two youngun's underestimated the ole guy, expecting him to be a push over, i'd turned the other cheek the first time they pulled their fly by, the second time they douched me, and the race was on, having a very fast boat, i chased them to their landing, and had it out. they assumed the old guy would fight fair, hehe, dumb fudgeheads.
NO respect is the problem, with the pwc idiots, and some in their cruisers, I have no problem letting them know, but now being a lot grayer, pick my battles. lol.
Rj

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.