Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

2017 Phoenix 921 PHX (new) model

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Scott S. 
#1 ·
While I won't get any fishing time out of this new boat before I start my 6-month Florida mission in 2 weeks, I thought I'd share some info about it for those that might have questions or be interested enough to consider the Phoenix line if looking for a new bass boat.

This 21'6" model is no slouch to performance. After getting enough hours on the 250 Verado to open it up briefly, it gave me a 77.8 mph reading on the HDS-12 (yeah I know, here comes the naysayers) and jumped out of the hole to do it with a Fury 25P prop. The front middle compartment swallowed most all of my tackle boxes and is looking for more inc space for 8 rods in addition to the 14 on the front port side and an additional 4 on the rear port side box. I think I can take it all to Mexico next year! It also has a decent sized drained storage box just in front of the drivers console and is a bit wider through much of the front deck.

I had no problem with the gas fill-up as it never hiccuped once. I have had a few issues on some missing items from the factory but they've been fairly quick to respond to address the issues and Phil at Catalina Marina in Tucson has also proved helpful.

With less than 5 hours on the motor, only at Saguaro, I can't say I've been able to ride test this model much but I've heard lots of good things about it. I did wrap it and the motor cowling but I must admit to liking the original coloring better than the wrap but that look will stay nice and new looking until it's time to unwrap it down the road.

A new item that I tried out is the Mercury 'Active Trim' system that allows the trim to be operated automatically should you choose to do that. It is not for everyone and takes some time/$ to install and seat time to set up to one's liking but at the end of the day, it will probably save some gas money as the trim matches the speed throughout the day. Great idea for novices but probably bothersome to long time boat drivers, especially those that think they already know all there is to driving a boat and I suspect that a few dollars saved in fuel is not very high on the priority list for most of us. Still a good idea for those not needing to run at high speed all day long or are not familiar enough with the proper trim-to-motor speed setting.

I can answer questions if needs be at 480-797-9032. Thank you, Sam

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I was at germann marine last year, I was hoping to see one, not. They had them sitting outside covered up in a corner like a red headed step child. They said they were hard to sell, they even had them on craigs list and couldn't get rid of them. I've seen one up in Payson, but have yet to see one up close to inspect it.

Boat Speed Calculator

Weight Total Shaft Horsepower Constant Speed
Calculate Calculate Calculate Calculate

This information can be used to pick a starting point when propping out a new boat or engine combination. You can plug these results into the formulas on the Prop Slip page or use our Prop Slip Calculator and come up with a propeller pitch. Just remember there is no substitute for accurate testing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.