Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Jackplate install question

2K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Azacguy32 
#1 ·
Going to install a jackplate on the Ranger, any reason to not reuse the old motor mounting bolts? The original SS bolts had brass nuts. I haven't taken the bolts out yet to know if anything is wrong with them. Just asking

#5 ·
risky to reuse is my .02. cheaper to replace than have it f-k up at the wrong time. i'm with beep and garret on this one.

#14 ·
+1

Make sure you get SST bolts. If you decide to go with SST nuts, liberally lube the threads and don't use any power tools to run them down or they will probably gall....they might gall anyway (hence the brass). I have SST (because it's convenient) for both but always lube the treads when installing/removing...occasionally, I'll have to break one to get it off. Buy an extra if you go the all-SST route.

#16 ·
lol yeah, SST is for Stainless STeel. Another reference you'll see in aerospace is CRES, which is corrosion resistant steel.

The bolts you have are probably fine thread...fine threaded fasteners are slightly stronger than the equivalent coarse thread. They require less torque to achieve the same preload and they have less tendency to come loose.

The strength of the brass is surprisingly good. Your bolts are probably 1/2-20 they usually are when brass is used...comparing torque values for brass vs 18-8 SST, the brass is only about 20% lower.

Contrary to popular belief, common SST fasteners (18-8, 304, 316, etc) are not very strong compared to hardened steel alloys. A grade 8 1/2-20 bolt will take over 2-1/2 times the torque of same size SST bolt. Probably a lot more than you wanted to know lol

Edit: If you stay with the fine thread, I suggest staying with the brass nuts. The fine thread SST is even more prone to galling than coarse threads.

#22 ·
The install went well a lot easyier than I thought It would be. The hard part is going to be adjustment. Its harder than I thought trying to measure propshaft to pad I used a sting taped to the hull and eye balled it best as I could being flush with the bottom of the hull. I was trying for 3.5 bellow pad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.