Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Feral Pigs

10K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  CubaMex Memo 
#1 ·
I am just curious, do you need a hunting license to hunt for feral pigs in Arizona. Or do you need just a normal hunting license. I have heard both. I might want some ham and it is only a matter of time before these ****ers are all over the state.

#3 ·
Feral Pigs

In recent years, feral pigs have been sighted near Mud Mountain and Black Rock Mountain. Very little is known about the numbers, habitat use and behavior of these animals, but it appears they are transitory between Mud Mountain and Black Rock spending much of the summer months on Black Rock and winter months near Mud Mountain. They appear to be closely tied to water sources in these areas, and track sign is common.
You are encouraged to attempt to harvest a feral pig in 13B. Keep in mind that hunters who have tried to harvest a feral pig have had mixed results because of the limited number of animals and a quick weekend trip to hunt feral pigs may not be successful.
If you choose to hunt these animals please keep the following in mind:
  1. No hunting license is required to hunt these animals.
  2. Harvest of sows is encouraged to limit population growth and adverse impacts to turkey populations (nest predation = no poult production) and wildlife habitat.
  3. This population is feral and is not actively managed by the Game and Fish Department.
  4. A packet will be available through the Arizona Stirp BLM office in late 2010 related to feral pig hunting. This packet can be received by calling 435-688-3200.
Off-road travel restrictions, wilderness access, and other public land use restrictions remain in effect. Please contact the Arizona Strip BLM @ 435-688-3200 for information about off-road travel. In essence off-road travel is not allowed in any area of the Arizona Strip.

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_units_13b.shtml

Looks like it is just the cost of gas to me, I just found it. No limit either. Sounds like fun to me. Some pigs get 300 to 400 pounds easy.

#5 ·
I used to do this back in Texas the farmers along the Brazos river let us hunt them all we wanted as kids. It was a blast and provided some damn good meat.
They have gotten into the central part of the state into Yavapai county. I have been doing research, but who knows. It looks like it open season as long as you are on Public land. No license required.

#7 ·
Would never had guessed you didn't need a license. Doesn't matter for me anyway I buy one every year.

Truth is everyone bitches about them and for good reason but all those ranches in Texas don't really want them gone it has become a big industry hunting hogs. $300 bucks a hog at some places, California too.
You can hunt them at the EZ ranch in Cordes Junction every now and then you can find them around Dugas Orem Rd I'm those hogs cam from EZ.

#8 ·
I have also heard that there is an estimated population of 500 in the havasu wildlife refuge area. Can't hunt them there. Not ok. That place is a breeding ground for them and the Bill Williams river is just a gateway for them to spread out. I have also heard there are some near Strawberry also.

#10 ·
They more then likely been released from the same place that released a few emu's yes I said Emu's You said 13b
a buddy of mine was deer huting 5 years ago and got a great pic of one, its posted in here somewhere.

invasive species you dont need a hunting licence for in AZ, kill them all.

I'll see if I can find the pic.

as far as feral hogs I would love to find them, I doubt you will find them that big in az, I am guessing 100-200 lbs max. there was a place north of blue creek resivour that had a bunch hanging around, lots of guys used to kill them in the late 80's and early 90's.
I have heard that there is a place south of safford somewhere that has a bunch of feral hogs as well

Delw

#12 ·
They more then likely been released from the same place that released a few emu's yes I said Emu's You said 13b
a buddy of mine was deer huting 5 years ago and got a great pic of one, its posted in here somewhere.

invasive species you dont need a hunting licence for in AZ, kill them all.

I'll see if I can find the pic.

as far as feral hogs I would love to find them, I doubt you will find them that big in az, I am guessing 100-200 lbs max. there was a place north of blue creek resivour that had a bunch hanging around, lots of guys used to kill them in the late 80's and early 90's.
I have heard that there is a place south of safford somewhere that has a bunch of feral hogs as well

Delw
Change of subject Del...why the hell can't I post pics? Says I'm missing security something or another.

#19 ·
Wild hogs spotted in 4 Arizona counties

http://www.ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=1248520

"LAKE HAVASU, Ariz. — Wildlife managers with the U.S. Department of Agriculture are keeping a close eye on the wild hog population in Arizona.

Millions of wild hogs are making their mark across the country, and the Arizona director for the USDA's Wildlife Services division says the last thing he wants to see is a damaging invasive species establish itself in Arizona.

Director David Bergman says wild hogs root up wetlands, damage agriculture crops, threaten endangered species and spread diseases to commercial livestock.

National feral swine expert Jack Mayer says there are estimated to be between 500 and 1,000 wild hogs in Arizona.

The wild swine have been spotted in Cochise, Pima and Yavapai counties. The biggest cluster is in the Lake Havasu National Wildlife Refuge in La Paz County."

I bet there is more than that.

#24 ·
Good chance they came from the hippy camp on the roosevelt side. Man you got my mind going 100mph down memory lane, going tp have do a pack trip up there again sometime. I still have a couple dutch ovens hiding up there and a bottle of cheap whiskey.

#27 ·
Pigs are smart ****ers though. Look at this ****er looking at someone's trail camera, the pig knows something isn't right. This is just another pic in Arizona. They are all over the State now, just need to find a good location to supplement my baccon diet. I have been reading that a 70 to 150lb sow is the best tasting meat. Is this true?

Attachments

#30 ·
That pic almost looks like a javilina not a wild pig.

Pig meat is fantastic

I dont know if there all over the state, but man if they are it sure would be fun to find and hunt.
Maybe one of the Game and fish guys could chime in about this, I would like to know more.

we watched that discovery channel movie on the pigs last year sometime. I think it was in Nov. I saw this one and thought it was a new one but it wasn.t

Delw

#36 ·
There are a bunch around the town of Mirana just north of Tucson. I have taken one down there about 10 years ago. I have also seen them in the tall grass along the railroad tracks in Nogalas while flying around looking for Illegal Aliens. You need to look where there is alot of standing water. Muddy swampy land along the San Pedro. I have spotted them on more than a few occasions.

#37 ·
There are a bunch around the town of Mirana just north of Tucson. I have taken one down there about 10 years ago. I have also seen them in the tall grass along the railroad tracks in Nogalas while flying around looking for Illegal Aliens. You need to look where there is alot of standing water. Muddy swampy land along the San Pedro. I have spotted them on more than a few occasions.
You don't want pigs in your water supply that is for sure. The Havasu wildlife refuge has a lot also. Not allowed to hunt there. They just get to multiply like crazy.

Attachments

#38 ·
I got in on the eratication hunts of feral pigs and sheep on Santa Cruz Island back in the 80's and it was a fun, fun, fun. We used our longbows because shooting them with a rifle was too easy. I believe they have done away with those hunts. Cali tree huggers I think had something to do with stopping them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.