Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Geese Buoys Down

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Roosevelt Mark 
#1 ·
Kasey and I had a few hours of great fun here at Roosevelt fishing behind the geese buoys. In a little over four hours we boated 18 largemouth bass in 5 to 15 feet of water, mostly on drop-shot. We loaded up around 1:30 and water temp was over 60 degrees. If this keeps up we could have the earliest spawn in recent years. Hope to see some "zoners at the show later this week!.....Art

#3 ·
Nice Art!! They haven't seen lures since November and were ripe!!

The geese buoys start across from Cholla ramp and go down to the islands across from the dam. From the middle of November to the middle of February a significant portion of bank on the "Tonto Side" is unavailable to fish for the sake of protecting Geese.

#6 ·
Not resident, migratory, that used to be a actual fish and wildlife refuge till g and f took it over in the 40's. Used to get 1500-2000 geese migrating to roosevelt yearly but when the lake filled to full capacity and due to lake of management by g and f and TNF the birds don't show up like they used to but they still get 300-500 birds there yearly in the winter, harvested one with band that came out of Wyoming.

Horse pasture is the 188 side with the shore line camping and that has a closure and goose flats is straight across the lake from cholla ramp and up that side of the lake going toward the dam all the way to the islands

#9 ·
No the geese still migrate down by the thousands but instead of going to the lake (due to poor waterfowl management by both agencies) the geese go to Payson where they create all sorts of problems during the winter.

#8 ·
Had a blast trying to stalk in on them back when I had the house boat.
They would leave the beaches early to go feed come back and hang out in the big cove on the north side of the lake across from Horse Pasture.
I would run up lake w/ the Ranger, Dec & Jan cold as hell doing 65 but I was dressed for it.
Had to sneek around the corner and glass them up then go back around the point and hike in. They are some tough birds to knock down but I managed to get at least one per outing.

#11 ·
Art I think geese, ducks and big game have a calendar of hunting seasons? or at least they sure act like it, they seem to know when bad things can happen and when it is safe to venture out;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.