Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Walleye stocking in Apache

7K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  Charlie 
#1 ·
AGFD stocked 1.5 million Walleye sac fry in Apache Lake on April 11
The sac fry were flown in from a hatchery in Pratt, Kansas.

#5 ·
Anyone involved with injecting these lakes with bass and walleye due to the fish kill has my admiration. I know the walleye do not reproduce in these desert lakes so a population of them is pretty much due to G&F and AzWalleye. Thanks to all of you. It's always a nice little bonus to nab a walleye or two when I hit Apache.

Jerry, just out of curiosity, I'm not catching the numbers of walleye at apache this year as I did a year ago. They seem smaller this year, too. Does that sound like normal for this year?

#6 ·
. . . . just out of curiosity, I'm not catching the numbers of walleye at apache this year as I did a year ago. They seem smaller this year, too. Does that sound like normal for this year?
Yeah. This time last year, they were all over crank baits. Haven't caught a single one this year. Now and again I see a school of fish on the esonar that I take to be walleyes.

#10 ·
Never been to Apache. Wondering how the road is if I go all the way through Payson and over to Rosey then down? I hear that's the safest and fastest although longest! Any recommendations?

#15 ·
Just got back this morning, Fish Creeks not bad, but the dirt road to and from is a wash board nightmare, always has been. But a lot shorter than going around to Roosy. Fishing was good Saturday caught 15 on pumpkin seed power worms. Sunday caught a couple till the wind came up.
Marina was full of our south of the border buddies. Loud music and kids everywhere.

#19 ·
its a total of 7mi to burnt corral ramp about half of the trip is not paved. ive been in there with boat . its not bad but you have to watch for dipsticks at blind curves. great lake and bass have been good so far this yr. if you have 4wd you may be able to launch from 3 mi. cove road is great to water but not paved ramp

#26 ·
12-1 lm to sm for us this weekend..very small smallie up river..one 3 lb lm off the reef at burnt corral..classic catch..standing in 2 ft of water with a modelo under my arm reeling it in..don't get much better than that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.