Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

boat???

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  bass adventure 
#1 ·
came across a deal today i picked up a 1987 bayliner bass striker trophy boat with a125 force motor after cleanig carbs it fired right fwd/rev all work fine but the inside is another story needs alot tlc dont know to mutch about the force motors good bad etc...... btw only spent 100.00 boat trailer , deal are no deal?

#3 ·
Good deal as long as the motor keeps running. I hope this wasn't somebody's nightmare that you bought. Getting the Force serviced and finding parts might be difficult when that time comes.
In the mean time you're not fishing from shore, and that's huge!!!!!

#7 · (Edited)
came across a deal today i picked up a 1987 bayliner bass striker trophy boat with a125 force motor after cleanig carbs it fired right fwd/rev all work fine but the inside is another story needs alot tlc dont know to mutch about the force motors good bad etc...... btw only spent 100.00 boat trailer , deal are no deal?
I have a 1990 Force 50 and have had no problem getting parts for it... Ebay has been my friend. Eventually the take off parts will dry up, but I think not for many years. I have been running this motor for 6 or 7 years now. I have had to replace the head gasket twice, but then I realized the boat shop was giving me the wrong head gasket, and have had no issue with that since. I have a complete spare motor of parts that I have bought cheap sitting on the shelf including a good powerhead. Lower unit? $100-150 on Ebay. Water pump? New parts available anywhere. Seals and Gaskets? Sierra has them all, and iBoats has a decent look up system. Reeds? Standard metal ones. Will probably never fail, but they can be made or found as needed.

I was exchanging e-mails with Rick Pierce at Bass Cat Boats last year about this topic, and he said those old Forces were pretty tough. All the rental houseboats used them on his home lake in the late 80s and early 90s and they got a lot of use out of them.

My dad has had twin Force 150ws on his walk around cuddy cabin since the 80s and has had no issue that regular annual maintenance does not take care of.

The only real negative I have heard about the Force outboards was that the tended to be lower powered for their rating than other outboards. My 50 probably puts out 40. Based on top speed when running my Merc 50 on the same boat that is about right.

#8 ·
yea the kid i bought it from never finished up the boat the motor seems fine cranks right so i guess ill give it a little tlc and maybe make buck btw do know of aplace to get replacement wind shields for for this boat ive looked every where ?

#10 ·
I've had several Bayliners with Force outboards and I haven't had any problems at all. Just make sure the oil is mixed right and don't ever overheat the engine and you'll be fine. In those years Bayliner didn't use a temp guage, they used a buzzer. Just make sure the buzzer and the sending unit is in working order. The buzzer is located in the console and the sending unit is on the back of the motor. If you take the cover off, it should be staring you in the face.
Good luck with it.
Here is mine. I paid $1000.00 for it and I've enjoyed every second on the water with it. I wouldn't trade her for anything.

Attachments

#16 ·
SWC-1 here is a link for windshields I found for you. http://www.bizrate.com/boatskayaks_...ts__keyword--plexiglass+boat+windshields.html I had an 85 Bayliner and replaced the windshields on it but I can't remember where I ordered them from. I know I just measured the width decided how tall I wanted them and found a matching pair to replace them with. I know I was unable to find originals but the replacements worked great. Good luck with the boat - nice find.

#17 ·
Hey SWC-1,
Nope, it's not an 1810. I think it's a 1710. It's a 16 footer with an 85 horse Force. It's a 1984 model.
I got it cheap. They guy selling it was asking $2500.00 for it. I didn't know a thing about bass boats at the time. My girlfriend wanted me to look at it for her. She loves to fish. I wish she was still around. lol. She passed on it but I went and looked at it a 2nd and even a 3rd time. He fired it up for me and I noticed it wasn't peeing any water out of the engine. I told him about it and he thought that was a big fix so he said "give me a grand and make it go away". I did a double take, went to the bank, took it home and called the local boat shop. The water impeller was 17 bucks. Took me about an hour to install it and I was on the water the next day. My girlfriend said that was one of her big regrets. Not picking up that boat.
The way you see it is the way I bought it. It's not that pretty but everything works. The only thing I did to it was to install a Hummingbird 565 up front and I was good to go.
Other than a fuel pump diaphram (less than 2 bucks), I haven't had a single problem with it and it doesn't use much fuel at all. It tops out around 30 mph. Plenty fast enough for me.
Once I make the move to Phoenix, I'll install new seats and put new carpet in it. Among other things, I'm a carpet layer by trade so it isn't a problem.
I'm REALLY looking forward to getting down there and checking out the waters. I can't wait.

And hey Bass Adventure. I was joking too. Well, sort of anyway. I do own a gun and she is only 15 but to be honest, if you're a bass fisherman at 18, you can't be all bad. lol.
Where is Snowflake????

#19 ·
thanks guys

Hey SWC-1,
Nope, it's not an 1810. I think it's a 1710. It's a 16 footer with an 85 horse Force. It's a 1984 model.
I got it cheap. They guy selling it was asking $2500.00 for it. I didn't know a thing about bass boats at the time. My girlfriend wanted me to look at it for her. She loves to fish. I wish she was still around. lol. She passed on it but I went and looked at it a 2nd and even a 3rd time. He fired it up for me and I noticed it wasn't peeing any water out of the engine. I told him about it and he thought that was a big fix so he said "give me a grand and make it go away". I did a double take, went to the bank, took it home and called the local boat shop. The water impeller was 17 bucks. Took me about an hour to install it and I was on the water the next day. My girlfriend said that was one of her big regrets. Not picking up that boat.
The way you see it is the way I bought it. It's not that pretty but everything works. The only thing I did to it was to install a Hummingbird 565 up front and I was good to go.
Other than a fuel pump diaphram (less than 2 bucks), I haven't had a single problem with it and it doesn't use much fuel at all. It tops out around 30 mph. Plenty fast enough for me.
Once I make the move to Phoenix, I'll install new seats and put new carpet in it. Among other things, I'm a carpet layer by trade so it isn't a problem.
I'm REALLY looking forward to getting down there and checking out the waters. I can't wait.

And hey Bass Adventure. I was joking too. Well, sort of anyway. I do own a gun and she is only 15 but to be honest, if you're a bass fisherman at 18, you can't be all bad. lol.
Where is Snowflake????
snowflake is north east of phoenix up on the rim can be some pretty good trout fishing up there pm when you get into town maybe hit up a couple lakes:O

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.