Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

POWELL

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  jwal 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Great pics Dave, I can see you are not in the pontoon boat, is that your tracker? long boat ride from Walweap to San Juan, how fast does your boat go?

#9 ·
Lake Powell trip

Lake Powel/San Juan is a lot of fun right now. The numbers are there but we couldn't find the big fish on this trip. Caught lots and lots of 10" to 14" SM and LM with a few Larger ones thrown in and some really nice healthy Stripers. Dave caught some nice fat Walleye, where are the Walleye pics Dave?

Decided to drive up Saturday afternoon and get the boat tag, eat, and get some sleep at the Motel 6 before launching about 0515 on Sunday. The wind was calm and we made good time through Wahweap bay. The plan was to get most of the way to Dangling Rope running a fuel conserving 3000 RPM but after about 20 minutes I decided to screw the mileage and get to our spot. We fished the first rocky flats we saw and caught fish right away on jerk baits and grubs on 1/4 oz jigheads. The fish were not holding at any particular depth, we caught them shallow and deep. We caught them on flats, in small cuts, smaller deep bays. Color didn't seem to matter. We also used 3" Kietech jigs, Senkos, Drop shot Robo worms,Crank baits, all worked well.

After a short time we headed to Dangling Rope and fueled up. Took on 6.8 gallons to top it off again. 6.8 gallons to run about 33 miles at WOT (52mph with a FULL load) in my 2015 Skeeter TZX 190 with the 150 SHO. If any of you have made the trip and recorded your mileage let me know how it compares. We ran approx 150 miles and burned 31 gallons total.

Ran up to the San Juan and stopped a couple times along the way, catching fish every time. We caught Walleye, Stripers (on jigs and jerkbaits), LM Bass, SM Bass, and Dave added a Crappie, catfish and bluegill to the mix. 7 species in one trip, never done that before.

The weather was pretty good, although it did get windy Sunday and Monday afternoons with a little rain on Monday. Padre bay is a little bit like Lake Mead and some of your other larger lakes. When a storm is brewing on the other side you get the rollers and chop even when it's not storming like hell where you are. The wind did gust to 40 at times but my little 18 1/2 foot boat did ok. After a thorough inspection I found no damage to the hull or transom.

All in all a really nice relaxing trip. We caught about 240 fish (140 on the front and 100 on the back of the boat :D) during our 1 and 3/4 day trip. Thanks for the company Dave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.