How do they measure the length of a 5th wheel trailer - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

October 20th, 2014     03:46 PM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > General Forums > Other Topics

Old March 7th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Radar66

How do they measure the length of a 5th wheel trailer

I just sold my toy hauler and am looking to buy a 5th wheel trailer. I plan on towing my 20ft. boat behind it and not going over the 65ft. length limit.
I'm guessing that the 5th wheel will have to be 24-26ft. with the crew cab short bed truck.
Do they measure the length af a 5th wheel trailer from the king pin location or the front of the box?
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #2
DanW

You need to measure the entire rig when hooked up. Front bumper to the end of lower unit of the boat as it would be when towing.
DanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Radar66

From my understanding the length was to the transom of the boat and not to the back of the engine.
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #4
DanW

I've heard both, but I thought it was the motor. One of the LEO's will probably clarify. Lot of variables involved, definately need to get out the tape measure, or an RV place could probalby tell you what you need for a fifth wheel.
DanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Radar66

I hope the motor does not count. I'll lose another 4 feet off of the 5th wheel length.
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Paul Matthews

Measure your rig from the front of the 5'th wheel to the bumper if it has one. Over all length of the towed rig is from your front bumper to the transom. Motor and jack plate doesn't count. With a 20' ft boat you will need to keep it around 25' My rig is 26'9" and my boat is 19'6". 4x4 Dodge 3/4 ton s/b. Total length is right at 65'.
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Radar66

Thanks Paul thats the kind of info I need.
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #8
Garrettt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Matthews View Post
' My rig is 26'9" and my boat is 19'6". 4x4 Dodge 3/4 ton s/b. Total length is right at 65'.
That sounds like 65' of heaven!
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #9
AZ_PWE

You will not really be able to determine your total length until it is all hooked together due to several variables.
To get close without it all hooked together:

Measure from the front bumper of your truck to the center of your rear truck axle. (Center of rear hubcap)

Measure from the fifth wheel trailer kingpin to the back of the rear bumper.

Measure from the center of your boat trailer ball hitch to the back of your boat trailer.

Add these three measurements together and then add 5" (for the hitch ball between the fifth wheel and boat trailer).

This will get you within a few inches of total length for legal purposes of determining total length (for Arizona).

My combo is a crew cab GMC + 26' fifth wheel + Ranger Z-19 = 63.5 feet

The federal standard for length and combinations does not apply to recreational vehicles.

Individual States determine maximum lengths for recreational vehicles and permitted combinations.

ARS 28-1095
5. A recreational vehicle as defined in section 28-2153 if used in combination with two units and if the combination does not exceed sixty-five feet in length.

3. A recreational vehicle may pull two units if all of the following conditions are met:

(a) The middle unit is equipped with a fifth wheel and brakes, and shall have a weight equal to or greater than the rear unit.

(b) If the rear unit has a gross weight of three thousand pounds or more, it is equipped with brakes.

(c) The total combined gross weight of the towed units does not exceed the manufacturer's stated gross vehicle weight of the towing unit.

H. For purposes of this section:

2. "Recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle that is designed and customarily used for private pleasure, including vehicles commonly called motor homes, pickup trucks with campers and pickup trucks with a fifth wheel trailing device.

A. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 28-1095 that limit the length of vehicles and loads:

2. ...the load on the rear vehicle of a combination of vehicles shall not extend more than six feet beyond the rear of the bed or body of the vehicle.

B. The extensions beyond the front and rear of the vehicle as provided in this section are not included in determining the length of the vehicle for the purposes of section 28-1095.

Remember, each State has it's own rules and laws which determine maximum length and how it is determined.

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

http://www.woodalls.com/articledetai...icleID=1195129
AZ_PWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #10
Dieppert

if you get stopped and measured you will find out the motor does count, they will measure from yopur front bumper to the very end of your rig
Dieppert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #11
Mark of Lawmans Bass Club

I don't think they are looking for you...

I spoke to several commercial vehicle inspectors regarding this subject. I just had a hitch put on my new 5th wheel this week. The installation guy just put another hitch on a thirty-eight footer ahead of mine and told me the guys tows a trailer with a customized tractor for shows. His total length is over 75 feet!!! I saw another toy-hauler 5th wheel that had triple axles and with the trailer of toys it was carrying, it was over 80 feet!!!

I have not connected everything yet, but I am guessing I am going to be at 67 or so with my 28 foot 5th wheel, 202c Skeeter and GMC long bed.

The commercial cops will only become involved if;

a: you are in an accident.
b: go to california (I heard that if you are 65 ft and 1 inch you will be cited)
c: dragging something or making it look like your load is unsafe.

Other than that, I think, according to some of the rediculous lengths I have seen in this tandem towing region, do what you are comfortable with.

I would think about talking to the insurance man too. If you do cause an accident, they may say that you were out of policy and not cover you.

My opinion only, I liked PWE's real legal version better.
Mark of Lawmans Bass Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #12
Jeff W

I have a chevy crew cab long bed, 24' fifth, and a 21' boat and i am 66' from front bumper to boat transom
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #13
Scott S.

Put a shorter pin box on the trailer and use that slider. Some of those pin box's are way out in front of the cabin, could save around 12 to 14 inch's. Could also save a nice fine from some Dude having a bad day.
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #14
millsryno

I'm surprised how many guys think it is OK to tow over the legal limit. If you get in a bad accident, you better believe that there are going to be people coming after you. I'm pretty sure your insurance isn't going to help.

Screw the ticket issue, I am more worried about the worst case situation...get in a fatal accident and an "accident" turns into your being negligent. You risk losing everything. I know we all tend to go over the speed limit. How many of us have gone over the speed limit going down hill? Now they have something else to add to the case against you. A lot of guys with 3/4 ton trucks are towing over the GCVWR, too....just to throw that out there...so now they got you for that, too. It's not looking good for you at this point...

I bought a F350 so that I can eventually get a 5th wheel, but I assure you I will be keeping it within the 65' law.
millsryno is offline   Reply With Quote