Construction Pictures - Waddell Dam, Lake Pleasant, AZ - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

July 25th, 2014     08:05 PM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fisheries/habitat

Old January 5th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Lone Ranger

Construction Pictures - Waddell Dam, Lake Pleasant, AZ

Cool construction pictures from the Library of Congress of the old dam at Lake Pleasant. Even the detail drawings are shown. Pics date back to 1903. Enjoy!

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?...allery&sg=true

Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #2
eko1

Thanks for posting. Really cool to see........
eko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #3
DesertBilly

Wow way cool I like stuff like this
Old January 8th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #4
RedRanger

Info about Lake Pleasant Dam

As far back as the 1890s, the Lake Pleasant region was bustling with the activity of miners and ranchers. A settler by the name of William B. Pratt built a small dam across the Agua Fria River to hold water for the miners in the area, but unfortunately a flood washed away his dam the following year.

In spite of this, the small town site of Pratt held on. Plans dating back to 1903 indicate a desire to build a dam in the area, known as Frog Tanks Dam.

By 1925, a group of local farmers headed up by William Beardsley was ready to move forward. They raised $3.3 million dollars to build the Lake Pleasant Dam by selling bonds to a group of investors in New York. The group recruited Carl Pleasant to design the dam which would finally control the Agua Fria River.

Dams were a hot ticket in Arizona during the early 20th century. Some of the major projects completed include the Granite Reef Dam in 1909, Roosevelt Dam in 1911, Gillespie Dam in 1921, Mormon Flat Dam in 1925, and Horse Mesa Dam in 1927.

The project took on the name Carl Pleasant Dam as construction began in 1926. Although it was not funded by the Government, this was not a two-bit project dreamed up by a bunch of farmers. The dam was a record-breaker by all accounts.

When completed in 1928, the Carl Pleasant Dam was the largest multiple arch concrete dam in the world. The massive structure stood 76 feet tall and 250 feet long with a crest length of 2,160 feet. The total storage capacity was 157,000 acre-feet of water. At last the river had been tamed, but the story doesn't end here!
RedRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #5
RedRanger

The Transitional Years
The Carl Pleasant Dam underwent a retrofit in 1935 when steel ties were placed in the dam's buttresses to provide additional strength. In 1964 it was renamed the Waddell Dam.

In 1968, President Lyndon Johnson signed the Colorado River Basin Project Act. This piece of legislation was the beginning of the Central Arizona Project, arguably the largest and most complex engineering project in Arizona's history.

The Central Arizona Project (or CAP) is an elaborate system that brings water from the Colorado River to Phoenix and Tucson. It consists of 336 miles of concrete-lined canals, underground tunnels, piplelines, pump stations, and storage reservoirs.

The Central Arizona Project would dramatically change Lake Pleasant forever. For 45 years, Lake Pleasant held water to be used for irrigating crops and farmland. Now it would play a critical role as a water storage bank for Colorado River water brought down from Lake Havasu. The water would be piped into Phoenix as needed via a new 30 mile canal called the Beardsley Canal.

As work began on the Central Arizona Project in 1973, it became clear that Lake Pleasant's storage capcity would need to be increased. The solution was to build a new, larger dam one-half mile downstream of the old dam. The new dam received the very appropriate name of "New Waddell Dam."

The New Waddell Dam began construction in 1987 and was completed in August 1992 at a total cost of $625 million dollars. The new 440 foot tall dam is made of earth and has tripled the size of Lake Pleasant. With a storage capacity of 1.1 million acre-feet of water, Lake Pleasant is now the second largest body of water in Central Arizona after Roosevelt Lake. The lake reached its new full capacity for the first time in 2005.

So what happened to the original Waddell Dam? As a matter of fact, it's still there! The old dam now sits 100 feet below the surface of the water. A large section of the old dam was cut out using a diesel-powered, diamond-tipped saw so that water and boats could pass between the two when the level of the lake is low.
Old January 8th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #6
Evilmonkey

Cool Thank's for posting this guy's,,
I remember one year it came out of the water I even have pic's I'll try and post them later ,,, people were bouncing off it in there boat's ,,like what is this line of hazard marker's doing here ??
Evilmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #7
Fishless

how many of you remember the "flues" we used to go swimming in and going through the tunnel out into the canal, always had to have a look out for the security guard, man the good old days, that and standing below the gates of the main lake in the stream going into the lower lake in the spring and catching incredible numbers of white bass
Old January 9th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Lone Ranger

Thanks for posting that Red Ranger. That's some cool history for those of us that are not native to Arizona.

Old January 12th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #9
goldenglory18

Where is the old dam located on the water?
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #10
RYCO

under it
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #11
RedRanger

I think the fish maps show the old dam, but am not certain. It runs parallel and in front of the new earthen dam.
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #12
Evilmonkey

The old damn run's from Waddell point towards the 10 lane boat ramp looking from east to west ..
I hope this answer's your ? Kenny..
if not I'll show you sometime on one of my maps ,,still tryng to find my pic's from 97 or 98 with the old damn out of the water..
Evilmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #13
azcoueshunter

i worked out there almost 3 yrs - mostly right on the dam itself! was an awesume experience
azcoueshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #14
Lone Ranger

I have also put these pictures of the old Waddell Dam in the Gallery under Misc. Pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Waddell Dam 1.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	24719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Waddell Dam 2.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	24720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Waddell Dam 3.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	24721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Waddell Dam 4.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	24722  

Old January 12th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #15
azrockman

Spent many nights out there throwing electric blue salt lizzards and black/yellow westys at the old dam. Caught hundreds of bass and whites there. I miss it.
azrockman is offline   Reply With Quote