Starter problems - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

July 23rd, 2014     09:16 AM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Motors, Electrical Systems, Graphs

Old July 5th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #1
bill8040

Starter problems

When trailering the '86 champion today at saguaro I heard a HUM coming from the engine area. Sounded like the trim motor. I quickly checked trim switches, ignition and ended up disconnecting the battery. At home, I used some electrical cleaner spray into the ignition key...no luck, the starter continues to kick on when touching the positive cable to the battery post. Is there a way to test the ignition switch or starter selonoid to see which is giving me a headache? or is there something else that could be causing this? Any help is appreciated.

Bill.
bill8040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Delw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill8040 View Post
When trailering the '86 champion today at saguaro I heard a HUM coming from the engine area. Sounded like the trim motor. I quickly checked trim switches, ignition and ended up disconnecting the battery. At home, I used some electrical cleaner spray into the ignition key...no luck, the starter continues to kick on when touching the positive cable to the battery post. Is there a way to test the ignition switch or starter selonoid to see which is giving me a headache? or is there something else that could be causing this? Any help is appreciated.

Bill.
I am thinking its the key switch and Not the soloniod never seen one stick on.

Disconnect the power wire from the solinoid. then all the other wires, Ohm the soliniod out and see.
if that checks ok its good, then its our ignition switch..

with out knowing motor year and type impossible to trouble shoot specifcially.
do you have a book? look in the wiring diagram
Old July 5th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #3
kmaysob

Take the trigger wire off the solonoid, if it stops, its the switch. If it continues it the sol

“If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility.”

― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
kmaysob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #4
StickBass

bang on it with a hammer?
StickBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #5
bill8040

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickBass View Post
bang on it with a hammer?
Considered. The motor is a mercury 150. I believe late 86 or 87? I pulled the switch. Will ohm the selonoid and if no luck remove the hot wire from the switch.
Thanks, Bill
Old July 5th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #6
kmaysob

what are you hoping to see with an ohm meter? unless you have a spec from the manufacturer , all you can really look for is a dead short( in which case the solenoid is bad), or an open (see above). at this point an ohm meter is gonna tell you what you already know. pull the trigger wire off of the solenoid, connect the battery. if the motor starts trying to spin or even clicks the solenoid, it's not the switch. if nothing happens,if you reconnect (or check the trigger wire for voltage with key off) and it trys to turn over again, you have your answer.

“If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility.”

Old July 5th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #7
Delw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaysob View Post
what are you hoping to see with an ohm meter? unless you have a spec from the manufacturer , all you can really look for is a dead short( in which case the solenoid is bad), or an open (see above). at this point an ohm meter is gonna tell you what you already know. pull the trigger wire off of the solenoid, connect the battery. if the motor starts trying to spin or even clicks the solenoid, it's not the switch. if nothing happens,if you reconnect (or check the trigger wire for voltage with key off) and it trys to turn over again, you have your answer.
An ohm meter will tell him everything he needs to know. with out putting juice on it and causeing more damage to the starter or himself while checking it out..

the soliniod on his motor is like the old fords
Old July 6th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #8
360 OR BETTER

Some folks just have no idea how usefull an ohm meter is.
360 OR BETTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #9
Delw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 OR BETTER View Post
Some folks just have no idea how usefull an ohm meter is.
Red Neck engineering, been keeping legit marine and autoshops and parts shops in business from the begining of time.
Old July 6th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #10
kmaysob

i use a meter constantly at work, ive tried telling a few on here how to check with a meter and it seems to go in one ear and out the other.

most dont know how to use a meter. if he doesnt know what he is looking for with it, it does him absolutely no good.

yes your right del, it will tell him what he needs to know, just the same as what i said to do.

and i have seen a few stuck solenoids in my career.

Old July 6th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #11
360 OR BETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delw View Post
Red Neck engineering, been keeping legit marine and autoshops and parts shops in business from the begining of time.
Better known as SWAGin it.
360 OR BETTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #12
bill8040

Seems the ignition switch was sticking. With the battery diconnected I shot some CRC electrical cleaner in it and freed it up. I do believe this will eventually become a recurrent issue so will try to find another one on-line. Thanks for everyones help. Bill