2 Stroke or 4 Stroke? - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

July 29th, 2014     07:57 PM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fishing Chat

Old November 26th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #1
BASS-MAN

2 Stroke or 4 Stroke?

I am going to be ordering my new boat soon (Lowe Stinger 170) and would like to get some opinions about the motor. I am going to have to choose between a Merc Optimax 75HP or a Merc 4stroke EFI 75HP. This is going to be my first "Big Boy Boat" and I don't know much about outboards so any ideas, opinions, notions, or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bryce

P.S.
Here is a link to the boat if it helps.
http://www.lowe.com/fishboats/stinger/170.html
BASS-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #2
Woefman

I am thinking of Doing the Same thing .

Here is My Analogy in that size Boat.

I have seen many Ads for Used Boats (bought boat trader, as well search dealers and online ).

many of these used Boat ads always Seem to State , 150 merc Fresh Rebuild barley Broke in...Blah blah .....

Well For me In this size boat , I would rather Have a 4 stroke.

4 stroke is a crankcase always submerged in oil like a car, and has an Oil Filter.

2 Strokes Get there Power From RPM's ( revolutions per minute).

If your buying this Boat , chances are your not buying it to Drag Race with those Skeeters and Such.

Just my opinion , and if you in the Same situation as me , the price for a Lowe Wont Break the Bank , which one could assume your buying one, cause you dont want the price tag of a new fiberglass full blown Bass Boat.

SO , this means you dont want to Overhaul your motor to often if your Budget is like mine.

The 4 Stroke is Aprox 1000 to $2000 more, but Mercury offers free 6 year Warr on 4 stroke.

I Really Liek the LOWE Stinger , however Dont over Look the Xpress http://www.xpressboats.com/

You can usually Go alot faster in a Xpress and get More motor for the same money as a LOWE.

Cheers

Last edited by Woefman; November 26th, 2006 at 09:53 PM. Reason: typo
Woefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 06:29 AM   #3
elwayoung

Lowe Boat

I purchased a used 2002 Lowe 180 with Mercury Optimax 150 in July. All I can say is it is my first big boy boat and I love it. I still wonder what a glass boat would be like but that goes away once I am on the water. Lowe is constantly improving there boats and my 2002 is nothing but quality so I can imagine how nice the new one is. Go with the Lowe and a optimax motor, Good Luck

http://www.loweboats.com/fishboats/stinger/170.html

John
Old November 27th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #4
elwayoung

ooops

Take a look at the 180 you get a bigger motor option to keep up with those glass guys!!!!

http://www.loweboats.com/fishboats/stinger/180.html
Old November 27th, 2006, 06:43 AM   #5
elwayoung

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/7/85845747.htm
Old November 27th, 2006, 06:48 AM   #6
jsnags

four stroke if youre going to bo going under 50 or so gps
jsnags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #7
jbarrett

Bass Man, Your doing the right thing by researching this up front and this site is a great place to get input.

I had a Lowe stinger 160/40HP EFi that we traded in on a glass boat with a Optimax. For me the aluminum just didnt handle wind and waves like I wanted. I think much of it was due to the Hull design (flat bottom) Also with the light weight the boat drifts much more and is tougher to keep positioned. As far as fit and finish, I wasnt overly impressed.

Pluses on the Lowe for me were a very shallow draft - I could float into finger coves a foot deep and didnt worry about running into rocks as much. The EFi motor was easy to start, ran quiet and very smooth with no vibration.

You may be aware of this already but some of the manufacturers are making glass boats to compete at a simular price point to the aluminums. Stratos for example offers a enry level bass boat for 12,995 with a 50 HP motor or something along that line.

In my case the Lowe was our first real boat and we bought cautiously. By trying to save money I just ended up with a boat we didnt like as much and it cost me more in the long run to go with what I should have in the first place (for my situation). Also beware of hidden charges; Shipping, freight dealer prep and so on.

A Lowe or any other type boat may be exactly what your looking for and I dont want to imply one is better than another for you.
Ride in all the boats you can, try out a EFi and Optimax and check out some Glass ones too. They all have good and bad points.
jbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #8
Larry all Forked Up

Location: RV slumming across this shaken yet still the greatest "U.S. of A."
I also moved from an aluminum with a four stroke to a glass boat with an 150 last year. jbarrett is right they are harder to control and drift more and don't handle the waves aswell just be more coutious of your surroundings. The four stroke was very fuel effecient and extermely quite when I would roll into the docks guys would ask if that was even running. Like everyone else I bought an aluminum for budget with a two year time frame to move to a bigger boat. Two years to the date almost I did. The boat served its purpose though and the guy that bought it from me was very glad to get it. I now have a Triton 185 with an 150 and this boat will serve its purpose for the next two years.
What ever boat you buy enjoy it, that makes it easier to own it.
Good Luck.
Larry all Forked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #9
StickBait

I saw an add in the last Bassmasters that was advertising the Stratos 17.5' fiberglass model w/ a 50 for 12,900. That may be an option

My opinion is to stay away from the 4-stroke. They have not been around long enough to know all the downfalls. I have heard that they have a ton more maintenance required. I do know that the don't respond like a 2-stroke and they are a little slower. But i have also heard that they don't drink as much gas.

My suggestion would to call or go visit as many marine mechanics as possible and try to get facts, versus be swayed by opinions. Of course there are always more opinions than facts, but getting an opinion from a mechanic is more valuable than mine or other people that don't know first hand. I would also suggest riding in comparable boats wit the two different engines, because although I may not like 4-strokes I am not the one buying it, you are and you being happy with your purchase is what matters in the end.
StickBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #10
Franklin J

4 strokes are good on gas....but when when to comes to sheer power and RPMS 2 strokes will kick thier ass everyday of the week...I have driven a 225 4 stroke and it just didn't have the power and top end of a 2 stroke....but hey they are good on gas....maybe we can get some verado owners to chime in

Franklin
Franklin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #11
Delw

for a smaller motor I would go a 4 stroke. the boat isnt going to be breaking any speed records but for reliabilty ( not to mention being quiet) its well worth any extra cost.

Woefman said it best.

Also Call Randy at performance marine in glendale he or brent can give you a heads up and a real honest opinion. its best if you have the time to stop by thier shop.
Old November 27th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #12
MATCOBASSMAN

Bassman I have owned 2 Yamaha four strokes, the first a 115hp and now a F225 four stroke on a 21ft Skeeter. I personally would be very hard pressed to go back to a 2 stroke. As far as maint is concerned, just normal lower unit oil changes and crankcase oil changes w/oil filter (just like a car), plugs and water pump impellers, thats about it! They are very reliable and start just like a car. They arent as fast HP to HP but I got mine for reliability and smoothness not for speed. The best I have gotten out of it for speed is 63mph. Hope any of this info helps you, good luck, Allen
MATCOBASSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #13
Franklin J

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATCOBASSMAN View Post
Bassman I have owned 2 Yamaha four strokes, the first a 115hp and now a F225 four stroke on a 21ft Skeeter. I personally would be very hard pressed to go back to a 2 stroke. As far as maint is concerned, just normal lower unit oil changes and crankcase oil changes w/oil filter (just like a car), plugs and water pump impellers, thats about it! They are very reliable and start just like a car. They arent as fast HP to HP but I got mine for reliability and smoothness not for speed. The best I have gotten out of it for speed is 63mph. Hope any of this info helps you, good luck, Allen
63 aint bad.....all you need is 60...
Franklin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #14
MATCOBASSMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin J View Post
63 aint bad.....all you need is 60...
Trolling anything above 50mph is a biotch
MATCOBASSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #15
Grinch

Something to keep in mind is that currently the EPA does not regulate carbon monoxide limits in 4-stroke outboards even though the 4-strokes are way over the EPA limit PPM. Rumor has it that the EPA is going to crack down on this issue which will result in 4-Stroke motors having to be changed again. The main thing is that the outboard is 3 Star compliant, which the Opti is. Personally I would go with 2-stroke. The changes needed to make the 4-Stroke meet EPA requirements would have to be something along the lines of a catalytic converter.....which will add more heat and more weight to an already heavy motor. I am sure that the current 4-Strokes will be grandfathered in, but this is definitely something to keep in mind.