AZBZ Forums

AZBZ Forums (https://www.azbasszone.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fishing Chat (https://www.azbasszone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Bringing Muskies back to Arizona... (https://www.azbasszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227562)

B SHEP March 18th, 2016 03:13 PM

It's cool BassTrix...

Yes, those locations in which the Muskies were studied are located in areas that experience cooler weather, but keep in mind that these studies were done during warmer months out of the season. These lakes are also very shallow, so they warm up quicker than the larger lakes in Arizona and do reach 80 degrees or more pretty much every year. The water temperature does not change the forage species either. Muskies do not prefer to eat gamefish and other predators have a good way of keeping out of the way of the bigger predators.

Skunko! March 18th, 2016 03:24 PM

You can wish all you want, and its not going to happen. Biologists have already figured out that introducing non native species can have lasting unforeseeable impacts down the road and they wont risk it.
Thats the bottom line.

B SHEP March 18th, 2016 03:43 PM

Skunko... All the fish we are talking about are non native species.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skunko! (Post 1796401)
I dont think I proved your point, unless your point is you want to fish for dink bass. Our desert lakes arent capable of supporting that much biomass because there just arent enough nutrients to go around. Introducing another big predator fish would do nothing but exacerbate an already existing problem.

Although I do believe Bartlett would be able to support a fish-able population of Muskies, it already has a large number of predators within a successful system.

Are the Flathead's the reason the Bass are small? I think it might have something to do with habitat rather than the 40 pound Flathead's.

The main point is... The Flathead is pretty much what you are trying to make the Muskie out to be. The Flathead is the eating machine some have described and they have not ruined Bartlett Lake.

Skunko! March 18th, 2016 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B SHEP (Post 1796457)
Skunko... All the fish we are talking about are non native species.

Although I do believe Bartlett would be able to support a fish-able population of Muskies, it already has a large number of predators within a successful system.

Are the Flathead's the reason the Bass are small? I think it might have something to do with habitat rather than the 40 pound Flathead's.

The main point is... The Flathead is pretty much what you are trying to make the Muskie out to be. The Flathead is the eating machine some have described and they have not ruined Bartlett Lake.

Is it successful? A bunch of rat bass with a sizeable population of stunted carp and runty shad?

DickValentine March 18th, 2016 05:19 PM

Maybe I'm late to the party...are we talking about stocking Bartlett with Muskie?

B SHEP March 18th, 2016 05:20 PM

The existence of Flathead Catfish within the same system is probably the least likely cause for what you might call less than ideal growth rates... Stunted growth is generally a result of habitat or water conditions, overpopulation, or a lack of predators within a system. Maybe there are not enough predators in Bartlett? :)

DickValentine March 18th, 2016 05:23 PM

HAHAHAHAHA, I just read this petition. Muskie in Pleasant huh?

B SHEP March 18th, 2016 05:24 PM

What are your thoughts, Dick?

DickValentine March 18th, 2016 06:27 PM

Well, I try not to get into mud-slinging contests, but you are living in fantasy land. To quote Skunko, it ain't gonna happen. Pleasant is considered to have a high fish density, and I know that the Striper situation has already caused concerns. Do you think they would add Muskie to the equation? As your argument for the Flathead - its a prized fish in AZ. Hell of a fighter, delicious table fare, and survives well in our climate. I get it man, you have a passion for a specific species. But, it isn't going to fly.

B SHEP March 18th, 2016 06:59 PM

I have a passion for all species of fish. I started fishing when I was a child. It is a part of me. I wake up thinking about fishing and I go to sleep thinking about fishing. I just so happen to have a favorite fish to target as far as sport-fishing goes. When it comes to recreation, all species are equal to me and the entire fishery is equally as important. I want what is best for everyone and I enjoy discussing ideas and common interests that have the potential to create opportunity and improve lives.

Why do you think stocking Muskies in Arizona will never happen again? All of the fish we target here in Arizona did not get here by themselves. They had to be introduced in order to be considered prized and valued. The Muskie is a very valuable fish with as much potential to bring positive influence to a fishery than any other species. Catching a Muskie is not only a valuable experience, but it is very rewarding.

What would one or two lakes hurt? There seems to be a number of people who support the idea. The idea that the Northern Pike and Striped Bass are an issue for some people makes stocking Muskies seem like an even better idea. Muskies could help regulate things.

midge master g March 18th, 2016 07:22 PM

Muskies will never be introduced to Arizona waters. Arizona Game and Fish is interested in trout fishing. They are interested in Haigler Creek, Canyon Creek, The Gila Trout, Removing Pike from lakes up north, Introduction of Tiger Trout, and other projects.

I would love to see some Muskies in Pleasant to keep the Striper population in check. It will probably never happen in my life time unless some back yard biologist does it illegally.

James March 18th, 2016 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieBoy (Post 1796313)
signed. Catching a shark would be cool too!

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...37&FORM=VRDGAR

Thank you RookieBoy.

Florida receives twice the tourist dollars than AZ. FLORIDA HAS BULLSHARKS AND AZ DOES NOT. Coincidence? I think not. If we get Bullsharks our economy will thrive.

And you have to admit it'd keep the wake boarder traffic to a minimum.

James March 18th, 2016 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B SHEP (Post 1796289)
Northern Pike do well in Ashurst, Striped Bass do well in Pleasant, Flatheads do well in Bartlett, and Walleye did well in the Salt River Chain when they were being stocked. Bass do well all over...

What makes you believe Muskies would not do well in one or all of those lakes if they can seek refuge and have a food source during the warmest months of the year?

Ahhh. can you source your info on walleye doing well in the salt river chain?Cause I seem to recall reading the exact opposite on the G&F website.

Pretty sure they couldn't hack the summers. Have you noticed how clear our lakes are? How void of vegetation they tend to be? Have you noticed the extreme flucuations in water levels? I'd suggest checking out all the issues we have with regards to dissolved oxygen levels in winter and summer.

This isn't much fun any more.

But man could you imagine if there were say just one or two bullsharks in each lake? That would be f***ing awesome. Of course we'd need catch and release only. Unless it bites your arm off or something. Then you know,,, karma and stuff,,,,

B SHEP March 18th, 2016 08:04 PM

I posted that Walleye "did" well in the Salt River Chain - which they did very well. I said nothing about the current state of the Walleye fishery. To my knowledge, they are no longer being stocked, so I would imagine the fishery is not in the same state as it once was. This is not due to the fish not being able to survive the climate, but more-so due to the fact that they are no longer being stocked and reproduction is thought to be non-existent.

I can most certainly share my source with you on this topic along with everything else I post. Here is the link: http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/research_walleye.shtml

Muskies do very, very well in reservoirs with ever changing water levels and less than favorable conditions. I find it odd that you do not believe Muskies would survive in the same lakes Striped Bass and Northern Pike survive. Like I posted earlier... The Salt River Chain would push the Muskies limits, but I think they would do fine if they were protected during the warmer months.

Franklin J March 18th, 2016 08:04 PM

Go ahead dude drop them in Pleasant. That lake is dead anyway. Not many would fish for Musky anyway, just like no one really fishes for striped bass

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!