Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Bringing Muskies back to Arizona...

29K views 145 replies 31 participants last post by  VTinAZ 
#1 ·
#126 ·
Oh I read the article alright. I read it with an open mind and a positive mood. That always allows you to take the best and the worst of every situation and walk away with something positive. In this case, there are absolutely no negatives. Stocking Walleye in Arizona was a great thing for our fishery and I'm sure those involved with the project had an absolute blast.

"Our findings indicate walleye in the Salt River reservoirs live to approximately 6 - 7 years of age, and reach up to 13 inches by the end of their first year, and 21 inches by the end of their third year of growth."

That is some pretty successful data if you ask me.

"Findings from this study enable managers to effectively stock and manage walleye in the Salt River reservoirs, thereby providing a unique angling experience to the state."

More signs of success.

Now we can take into account that people have caught some very large Walleye out of those waters.

Why are they no longer stocked? I'm sure there are a few reasons I am unaware of. I can take a wild guess like the rest of you and assume it might be due to the fact that there was not enough interest to keep the program alive.

#127 ·
I still don't see anything which states walleye did well. In fact there's quite a bit of the article that you've chosen to ignore. Likely because it conflicts with your distorted view of reality.

So walleye survive in the salt for 6-7 years? How does that compare to other bodies of water? I seem to recall they usually live MUCH longer. Decades maybe?

You can't just keep making shit up.

#128 · (Edited)
I like this idea...

By stocking pure Muskie in Apache Lake, we may find out if a fishable population will leave the lake by escaping through the dam.

Stocking Tiger Muskie in Canyon Lake might give us an idea if Tiger Muskie will leave a lake at a similar rate.

We will know which fish in Apache Lake and Canyon Lake are resident fish.

We will also know that both pure Muskie and Tiger Muskie found in Saguaro lake would not be resident fish.

This approach may influence a Muskie management plan of attack for similar lakes where escapement is possible. Survival in the lower Salt River will ultimately be non existent. I also would question the chance of survival in Saguaro Lake.

Of course Muskies should be stocked at a rate kept within reason and consideration to the existing fish community.

What do you think?

We all have our own and we all have opinions based on our own thoughts and ideas. I apologize for upsetting some of you. I just believe that there is still time for improvement. There are still ways we can add to something that is already great. We can accomplish a lot if we work together.

Florida Strain Largemouth Bass and Leech Lake Strain Muskie in the same body of water? Can you imagine the world record for both species coming out of Lake Pleasant after all of this? Can you imagine if Garret caught the Muskie on a purple worm and a "snowbird" (as in a person who visits Arizona over an extended period of time during a certain time of the year) caught the Bass on a 12 inch Weagle? That would be pretty awesome.

#129 ·
I am trying to figure out if your totally clueless, dilutional, or just plain dumb.
But reguardless if you want any and all information on walleye. Do a search for the nick azwalleye aka jerry
Coolest man to ever walk this planet and the walleye guru of arizona he is the reason we have walleye in this state. Hes the one who made it happen.
Thelast walleye stocking that I remember was in 2014 and like 2million

Delw

#130 ·
That is good to hear. I love Walleye fishing. I have done a lot of Walleye fishing and guiding. The Walleye program is a complete success in my opinion - regardless if they reproduce or not.

#131 ·
What do you think about this idea?

Stocking Muskie in Ashurst Lake can potentially create a trophy fish opportunity for anglers, biologists, and lake management programs. By stocking both pure Muskie and Tiger Muskie, anglers would have the opportunity to help collect data to go along with any possible netting that might take place in an effort to record growth rates and other information to help determine the status of this imaginary fishery we have been talking about all day. :bong:

#135 ·
I live in Arizona. I have lived in Phoenix, Fountain Hills, Casa Grande, Gilbert, Coolidge, Hidden Valley, Mesa... I'm sure I'm missing one or two places... I probably went to school with someone you know.

#136 ·
are you a guide in the northern states or is it someone with the same name?
Seems I saw a few people talking about b shep as a guide up in the Chicago area

#137 ·
I would not consider myself a guide. I fish with other people from time to time. We all learn things on our own... We just share our different experiences with each-other and focus on things that catch our interest.

I have been around. Town to town... State to state. Pond to pond. Lake to lake. Creek to creek. River to river. Caught a fish out of a drain off of the street once. Worked on some projects with people from Belgium and Serbia today. Now I'm sitting on the computer hoping to accomplish something positive in this life we share with other organisms and life forms.

#138 ·
I wanted to say thank you to those who have shared their views on the subject - both negative and positive.

If you are interested in knowing more or discussing the topic, please, feel free to send me a message.

#141 ·
If only you shared the same passion as me and other people - maybe you guys wouldn't be complaining about the current state of the fishery and bad mouthing the AG&F over things they either have no control over, or things they need help with.

#143 ·
Just wanted to say thank you for all of your feedback. It's about time to move forward and see where things have the potential to go. I believe asking everyone I possibly could about the idea was the most considerate thing to do. Putting things all out on the table versus going behind people's backs is generally a positive route to take. Each and every one of you are important to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.