Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Bringing Muskies back to Arizona...

29K views 145 replies 31 participants last post by  VTinAZ 
#1 ·
#6 ·
The best lakes would be some with large "flats" areas for spawning. Not so critical with tigers as they are sterile anyway.
I can see, from the information presented, why stripers are so hard on a trout fishery, they prefer the same temperatures. And get big enough to eat the trout.

#18 ·
Something does not sound right on that muskie post? I was up at NAU in 73 majoring in football and home away from home was Ruffs liquor in Flag and we were catching big northern pike in Upper Mary and Mormon as it had perineal water and everyone was bringing in the northerns for comparison on size etc. and there were some huge fish brought in. That would of been a big deal with people talking about it if it happened? and secondly I am almost positive g and f would not have planted threadfin shad in the lake as shad do not survive real cold water, and there were times there were 12" of solid ice on Mary and Mormon people drove their vehicles out on them so I don't think shad is possible. After the idiots have illegally transplanted northern pike all over the place I doubt g and f is going to be interested in bringing in another top predator to northern lakes? my personal opinion is if you want muskies and northerns etc. move back to where you came from and leave our fisheries alone.

#29 ·
I would like to see them in Roosevelt They would make short work of the huge Gizzard shad there.
Anywhere they are back east and north, they dont seem to harm either LM or SM bass populations. So harming bass should not be a problem.
I have a lake in Indiana that I used to fish on a regular basis 30+ years ago, that had the same shad problem as Rosy. They released Musky in it a few years ago, and withing 5 years it became the premier Bass lake in the state. They both seem to co-exist pretty well. Northerns too for that matter.
While in Canada this past October, I caught all species on the same structure situations. It was just a matter of staying on a bar, hump, or saddle, for a little longer than normal without leaving too soon. First the Musky would appear, then the Walleye, and then the SM bass. All using the exact same bar, just at different times.
Everywhere I have been back there where Musky have been stocked, has always been a great bass lake too.
FWIW

#30 ·
I've fished for musky in the St. Lawrence river. They are not prejudice in what they eat, they will not target just shad or strippers. They will eat whatever they can get into their mouth. I caught a nice one, 45" and fat, when I cut it open I found two good size smallmouth bass in it, over 12" each. They won't cure a problem, they'll create one.

#44 ·
All top predators are opportunistic feeders, those SM could've been dead or dying already. They definitely have there preferred forage though. there have been several lakes up here in CO they put T-Musky in to control sucker population... of course some trout definitely fall prey, but the suckers are much slower ... and dumber. Lots of perch become meals too but those things breed like rabits... or perch :)

#35 ·
I dont think there is anything more to talk about, I think you covered everything.

your best bet to put this foward is to get ahold of the sag **** so they can help you go through the process on how to get the commissioners on your side. for saguaro and canyon lake. ;)

Delw

#38 ·
Speaking of Minnesota... Here is a pretty awesome video by the Lindner's and Jeremy Smith. A lot of great information. Kind of helps correct some of the myths you hear about Muskies once in a while :)

Enjoy... Let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7kYBajmSsI&feature=youtu.be

#39 ·
Speaking of Minnesota...

Check out this video from the Lindner's and Jeremy Smith. I will keep the name of the biologist a surprise. Let me know what you think of the video. It kind of talks about some of the concerns some people have about Muskies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.