Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Flatheads / Pleasant:

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Skunko! 
#1 ·
Hello all. Figured I'd try asking.

I've been fishing stripers non stop with a lot of success this summer.....all live shad.

I wanted to switch gears for a night and target flatheads. Anyone done this as of late? I know they are there.....I just have not fished them.

My intention would be to catch some gills.

Just not sure if I should go up in river.....or in the back of castle....humbug...etc.

My brother scuba dives their regularly, and he sees huge ones.

I will post full report with my success.....or lack of.

#5 ·
Past the no ski buoys and just past the cliffs that are on the right side as you're going up river, not quite to the no ski buoys...Nasty looking chunk rock bank that was steep with nothing else...

#9 ·
Yup have seen him up river just before the (no wake buoys) at the bend which they moved down some last week.

Have caught several flathead on spoons this year buddy had one at 12lbs right with a school of bigger stripers, normally catch them on spoons quite often in coles

#7 ·
Up river is good... what you are looking to do is anchor on a shallow flat, maybe 12-20 ft deep, near the shore and near the main channel or deeper water (this is why the river is good, plenty of areas like this). If there is submerged timber nearby even better. I drop the blue gill straight under the boat or maybe a very short cast, carolina rigged with enough wait to keep the bait from moving it. I sometimes cut the tail fin and pectoral fins down to make the bluegill more spastic. Turn off your lights and your electronics and be quiet.

#14 ·
yeah, be like the rest of the lawless convenience store robbing, meth smoking
, insurance fraud committing assholes on catfish1. KIDDIE FIDDLING, ex con parent killing asshats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.