Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Buying first used aluminum boat

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  paulm 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy an aluminum boat, 12'-14', starter boat. I'm looking at craigslist and finding boats between 1500-2500, how do I determine quality? Do you guys have any recommendations?

#7 ·
Ive got a Fisher14 Avenger SC with Merc 25 hp (cowling sticker says 8hp for up north reasons)
Motorguide up front and Lowrance 520.

Im the second owner. It was built at Steel Marine for a friend of mine.

Id consider selling it for $3800.

#13 ·
I fished out of my little 14' modified v jon boat for years on saguaro, canyon and apache:

I did a bunch of mods to that little boat building out the decks, installing a cooler, etc, etc. With the 25 yamaha on there "little jon" would just touch 30 mph, LOL. Now it just sits in the yard since I got a real bass boat :)

Plenty of toads laid on the deck of that boat :)

#14 ·
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Paulm you v hull jon boat is something I am looking for to be honest. That is what I grew up on in iowa. We have an old jon boat that was actually 60 in across believe it or not and you could stand on the edge and the boat wouldn't come close to tipping. I guess I'll keep looking on craigslist for the best deal...

I am going fishing tomorrow using my brother in laws ascend fs12t at canyon lake or Bartlett.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.