Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

What type of round do you use for home protection

5K views 36 replies 26 participants last post by  basman1313 
#1 ·
One of the big fears in touching off a weapon at an intruder in the home is the possibility of the round going through a wall or 2 and hitting your child or significant other.

I know some love Glasers but others say it stays in tact and will penetrate drywall.

I personally use "vampire killers". They are normal brass cased bullets with a full powder charge but the bullet itself is actually wood. They are made using dowel rod material. Within 30' I have found them to be very accurate. The destruction they cause would be enough to stop an intruder, especially with a double tap.

I am curious what others use?

#35 ·
All these light loads people are advocating, would you shoot a deer with one and expect to recover it? most likely not so why would you think youre going to shoot a feral human intent on doing you harm and come out unharmed?
never ceases to amaze me.

#37 ·
The average "gunfight" is less than 10' apart.

I would not use a shotgun to deer hunt, period. But high brass heavy 6 shot from 10' away, shot either in the lower chest, high neck or head would drop a deer in its tracks. At 10' out of a full choke, the pattern would be less than 6" in diameter and contain 1 1/4 ounce of lead.

Now my preference to shoot a human with would be my 500 mag with 700 grain T-rex killers but that is not very practical. Ill stick to my .40 or .45 ACP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.