Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Ya just cant make this shit up!

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  jonny'sdad 
#1 ·
Whats some of the strangest things that have happened to ya'all while in camp huntin or fishin, the weird shit, shit ya just cant make up.
So we roll into camp 2 weeks ago for our annual Late Nov archery bull elk hunt that we seem to get drawn for every year, get the trailers set up, some mule tape stretched out for a laundry line, this that and the other, Jack Lewis is sittin in a camp chair all camod chillin, and no shit, out of the forrest walks a bird toward camp, but this thing is huge, it walks right up to Jack and just stairs at him, I thought it was a turkey at first from far away, but as it strolled into camp I can now see its a freakin peacock, and it seems to think it just found home cuz it settles into camp like we are all family, so we feed it, and water it and it just becomes camp bird, Now I know someone got sick of it and took it out to the forrest and let it go, but ya gotta admitt, when yer out elk huntin and a peacock rolls into camp its weird, thats the kinda shit ya just cant make up.

#2 ·
Just today I caught a little dink on a shaky head, caught me off guard so I gave a truly terrible hook set. Managed to stay on throughout the fight, I even gave him the the little flip up into the boat. When I reached for him the whole shaky rig plopped out of his mouth. The hook was still buried in the skin of the worm. I never did have the fish hooked, he just held onto it himself the whole time! Cactus Wren Outdoors must make some tasty plastic!

#5 ·
Bout 25 years ago we are in 6a on an elk hunt. We get in 3 days before opening day. Get camp set up, horses in the catch pen next to us, etc. then eat and get to bed.

We get up Tuesday morning, step out of the camp trailer and there are 50 plus elk IN our camp. There are 3 cow elk IN the catch pen with our horses. As we start moving around the elk SLOWLY ease out of camp.

Wednesday morning, same thing but no elk in the catch pen.

Thursday morning same thing and Thursday evening they start feeding into camp before its even dark.

Opening day, same damn thing (there was 4 bulls in the group and all 4 were rag horns or spikes).

After that we didn't see that group again.

Damndest thing ive seen.

#8 ·
Years ago we were camping up in 6A near Mormon lake. We had camp all set up with some tents, music playing and some afternoon beer drinking underway. Suddenly, a lone cow elk comes running right through camp.....50 feet from the fire ring. This chick who was with us screamed out..."Look, a camel !!!!". We all had a ball with that.

FYI she was from Tucson, U of A grad...typical lol

#10 ·
About 30 years ago the wife and I took a few days in early fall and were camping up at Chevelon lake. Not too crowded back then. Anyhow, we had a small tent. Made camp, settled in etc... Through the course of the day, we heard a couple bear growls in the distance. Anyhow, about 3:00 in the morning, the whole side (my wife's side at that) of our tent caves in. A bear had decided to sit on it. My wife was so scared, she couldn't speak and starts punching at the "cave in". Anyhow, I grabbed the .38 and went flying out of the tent. It was a full moon and about 15 feet from me is a bear. She was as startled as I was. Anyhow, I popped off a couple rounds and it took off running. In the corner of my eye, I see a cub jumping out of the bed of our pickup running also. Never forget that night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.