Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Say good bye to the river at Pleasant till June

6K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  Garret 
#1 ·
River closure at Pleasant starts tomorrow for the stupid eagle nests, goes till June 15th unless hopefully both nests fail, unless the water goes up enough to have the Table Mesa access open again like last year. Had a fun year in the river this year.

#8 ·
Your above post would apply to the argument, if there was a shortage of eagles. THERE IS NOT. They have been removed from the endangered list also.

There are a number of eagles at Sag and Rosie. I guess we should all be grateful they aren't closing both those lakes down.

#11 ·
Not sure why everyone complains about the closure. Giving that area a break during the spawn seems to help the fishing on the lake. As soon as it opens back up the bite is wide open. Just learn to fish right outside the closure with a heavy spoon and you can still catch stripers. Should be good for the Kayak and tin boat guys if they open up the Table Mesa side if they are willing to make the drive, but the roads are kind of sketchy for a bass boat.

This year the bite has been off since this summer. My buddy Derrick & I posted way too much on Facebook about how to catch the stripers on swimbaits with frequent 100+ fish days in the fall and now it seems everyone is throwing the same baits. The last 2 years with most of the tournaments avoiding Pleasant the bite was really good and we started seeing the largemouth numbers make a comeback. Now that word got out it's seems like it was getting too much pressure even during the mid week. A 6 months closure and some high water could really help improve Pleasant right about now. The low water and lack of cover has been making it tough so the fish have gone deep into 60'-120' of water. Last year we were catching them in 10' or less in flooded brush during Xmas which is all out of water now.

It's going to suck for a lot of guys who don't know the lake when the Wild West tournament arrives if we don't get some more water in Jan. I predict a lot of donuts with the closure/low water and probably a few tickets if they are patrolling that area with guys from out of state.

#35 ·
My buddy Derrick & I posted way too much on Facebook about how to catch the stripers on swimbaits with frequent 100+ fish days in the fall and now it seems everyone is throwing the same baits. .
As if there is no other explanation as to why people are throwing certain baits or who they learned it from. And "we" are not the ones that said it...you are....so in all fairness this isn't about him and his fishing experience.

#16 ·
I think you're misunderstood his clients only caught 5 fish, he doesn't fish every trip. Sometimes you can put the right bait, rod and show someone how to catch fish but having them execute can be a difficult task. Doesn't really matter at the end of the day does it other than how much money you made on those 15 fish, right?

#26 ·
Nah I've moved onto Trout fishing and too busy raising a family. Going to be the first Elite Series Pro Trout fisherman. Wait till my tournament jersey comes in then those stocked trout won't have a chance. My fairy wand is getting a workout dropshotting those beasts with my kids. Team Liquid is making a
come back as the Troutmaster haha!

Attachments

#31 ·
little frog do you even know what the word context means? The thread was about the river closure.

The pressure on Pleasant the last few years especially from bass tournaments had been on the decline and the last 2.5 years Pleasant was my lake of choice every time I went out. I got tired of getting skunked and sucked it up to focus just on that lake. Instead of fishing for bass I started chasing stripers with bass techniques and sure enough figured out the bass. Every time the river was closed that portion of the lake was better and it's been starting to rebound. Just like Sag was the last couple of years, but is now getting pounded 7 days a week.

That's why Fishless was pissed as he and others have been having a great time fishing the river, but it has to have time to rest. You'd be surprised how far those schools of stripers will migrate in single day looking for food as they are eating machines. Sometimes even with the trolling motor on high you can't keep up with them and the bigger schools will run from the river to the northern coves and back when they are ready to feed. There's no magic spots on that lake you have to fish the moment every time you go out. In the warmer months during the full moon you'd be surprised to see how a striper with 20 craws in it's stomach would still hit a 6" swimbait like a freight train.

I doubt you'd take the time though to figure this out with time of the water. Easier for you to be a keyboard cowboy than to figure something out for yourself. Maybe you should try booking a guide trip so you can see first hand during the spring.

#33 ·
little frog do you even know what the word context means? The thread was about the river closure.

It was until you decided that the 2 of you were Gods of Lake Pleasant and the stripers there. You still haven't addressed the "we've given out too much info" part of it and seem to avoid it every time.

Insert foot in mouth please.

And as for learning the lake. I've won 2 tournies and took 2nd in another in the last 18 months on that lake....and I learned it from a float tube....without electronics.

#37 ·
Vinnie you forget we've met before. I actually bought my first decent bass fishing rod from you about 4-5 years ago. Kind of odd for a guy whose 5 ft tall and built like a russet potato to be calling anyone "little" don't you think?

Let's talk about context. The thread was about the river closure, and some how some way, the conversation turned into you and Derrick single handedly ruining the fishing at Pleasant because of all your 100 fish trip days and posting on social media. Please explain again how you, Derrick, social media, 100 fish days, or throwing 1.7 oz spoons in 80 ft of water has ANYTHING to do with the the river being closed due to bald eagle nesting.

#43 ·
River talk

I saw a plane skimming the lake and head back into the river Sunday afternoon. Eagle reproduction is over.....we can all get back in the river soon to catch our 100 plus striper trips.

IMO.....most guys that truly know how to fish plez....don't say shit. Guys that think they do or don't have a clue.....talk a lot.

Call it like you see it.

#44 ·
I saw a plane skimming the lake and head back into the river Sunday afternoon. Eagle reproduction is over.....we can all get back in the river soon to catch our 100 plus striper trips.

IMO.....most guys that truly know how to fish plez....don't say shit. Guys that think they do or don't have a clue.....talk a lot.

Call it like you see it.

The river is currently closed due to eagle closure.... it will be closed until june if the eagles nest..... maybe a little sooner if they don't. Just because people talk about fishing a certain body of water does not mean they don't know anything about the lake......That's ****ing retarded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.