Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

passenger or guest with no fishing liscense

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  VinnieTheFish 
#1 ·
This may be a wasted question because I am not sure anyone, aside from some urban lakes, ever checks for a fishing license. In 10 years I was checked once at an urban lake.

I take guys out and always ask if they remembered to get a fishing license. They have always said yes.
Something a guy said that I take out quite often made me think he never has had a fishing license. He doesn't have much so I never take anything from him.
My question is what do you guys do. Do you ask to see your passengers fishing license? Does the owner of the boat have any responsibility if you are stopped and checked? Will they just take his cheap zebco gear and leave mine alone?

Might just be a mute point here. I don't think they ever check here.

#2 ·
I know several individuals who have never bought a license. They theorize that if they do get caught theyre still money ahead with all the money they saved not buying licenses over the years.

#3 ·
Dont ask dont tell ;)

I dont ask as its none of my business, if they are stupid enough to fish with out a fishing licence they deserve to get the fine.
you are not responsible for them having one or not. you are however responsible for laughing at them when they get a ticket.

having said that theres been a few times I been hunting and fishing with out buying my licence over the years. usually its in jan sometimes as late as feb. As I always bought my licence in dec for the following year. sometimes I have forgotten. or checked and seen my old one in my wallet thinking it was my new one.

Delw

#5 ·
Go to a movie and spend 25 bucks for a flick,popcorn and soda. In 2 hours it is gone. You can fish every day if you want all year. All you need is a license. I don't get it. I buy the combo fish and hunt and I stopped hunting years ago. I figure the $ goes to a good cause,habitat and such. Plus someone has to pay so all the hikers and bird watchers can have a free pass.

#9 ·
Your boat your responsibility?

So I'm supposed to be a baby sitter for somebody I bring on my boat? Am I also supposed to make sure they don't speed to the lake if they meet me there? What about before they get to me....should I make sure they never did anything illegal before allowing them on? What a joke.

#15 ·
In the past 10 years I've been checked for licenses at Rosy/Saguaro right after the new year (within 2 weeks), Pleasant during a holiday weekend and urban fishing for trout after they have stocked. As the boat operator you're fine so long a you're not a guide. They will ticket the individual not the boat operator so long as you have yours from what I've encountered. Even then it was more like a fix it ticket as the guy cited in my back seat at Rosy didn't have it on him but got it excused after showing proof to the judge.

I think they were more concerned with checking the boating safety items and happened to ask for the fishing license than anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.