dropshot swivel poll - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

November 29th, 2020     09:26 PM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fishing Chat

View Poll Results: swivel on dropshot rig w/ SPINNING tackel?
No, I do not use a swivel 238 79.33%
yes, I use a swivel 62 20.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:58 PM   #1
desertbird

dropshot swivel poll

How many of you use a swivel on your dropshot rig with SPINNING tackel?

This is only my second season dropshotting and line twist has been a pain in the ass. So I started using a swivel, line twist eliminated, but man what a pain in the ass to re-rig if you break your hook off in a tree. So I start making leaders with a quality snap swivel to get my bait back in the water quickly, but what a pain in the ass that is to!

Thinking about saying screw it, deal with the line twist.
desertbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:15 PM   #2
Obewan

Went to the SPRO swivels and great little package they got there. I also throw a Senko on both types of rods and on the spining rod have the SPRO....very noticable difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob
Obewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:21 PM   #3
desertbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obewan View Post
Went to the SPRO swivels and great little package they got there. I also throw a Senko on both types of rods and on the spining rod have the SPRO....very noticable difference.
Do you have a link to the spro rig?

Also, are you saying you have better feel on the spinning tackel with the spro swivel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Vanillagurilla

Spro makes swivels, ball bearing swivels.
Vanillagurilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Obewan

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbird View Post
Do you have a link to the spro rig?

Also, are you saying you have better feel on the spinning tackel with the spro swivel?
The difference is in spinning tackle on baits like a Senko and DS rig there is less line twists which have experienced with and without the swivel.

http://www.spro.com/ProductDetails.a...ode=SPSB%2DALL

Also I suggest using KVD line conditioner.

If you live in the East valley Liars Lorner should be getting these in soon if he does not already have them.

Bob
Obewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 03:03 PM   #6
FISHFEARME

From personal exp, a swivel is less strong than a direct knot or connection. Using a hollow braid or uni or albright has always been my choices. In ds'ing, I use a sinker that has a swivel. I also close the bail by hand every time I cast & let line out behind the boat unweighted to untwist after each trip. I also use alot of braid w/ a fc leader for shakeyheads & ds. Widespool reels are awesome.
FISHFEARME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 03:07 PM   #7
LoweRider

I know this isn't the best picture, but if you can see how he has the worm hooked, it cuts down a lot on line twists.
I've rigged it that way and it works, but it sucks if you are fishing around brush.

LoweRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 03:20 PM   #8
FISHFEARME

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweRider View Post
I know this isn't the best picture, but if you can see how he has the worm hooked, it cuts down a lot on line twists.
I've rigged it that way and it works, but it sucks if you are fishing around brush.

Yup....I saw that on a BASS tourney one time[ ESPN] last year. I dont remember the pro[ I think it was Aaron Martins], but he was making very sure he had his bait hooked just right everytime & I rewound it several times just to see what he was doin. It works excellent..The hook actually works like a keel. I use a texposed ds in trees or bushes though. Not open hook.
FISHFEARME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 03:40 PM   #9
desertbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHFEARME View Post
From personal exp, a swivel is less strong than a direct knot or connection.
...not when you're using 8 pound line... even the smallest swivel will hold before the line breaks, even a small high quality snap swivel will hold before the line breaks.

Now with that said, using anything above 12 pound I'd be concerned about swivel failure. But then again, I remember when carolina rigging was king, you never heard anyone concerned about swivel failure with that rig....
Old July 3rd, 2010, 03:54 PM   #10
Vanillagurilla

I use the smallest swivel spro makes for trout and its rated at 30lb, I think the smallest size with a beating is in the 60-70 lb range.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:22 PM   #11
Justin95

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHFEARME View Post
From personal exp, a swivel is less strong than a direct knot or connection. Using a hollow braid or uni or albright has always been my choices. In ds'ing, I use a sinker that has a swivel. I also close the bail by hand every time I cast & let line out behind the boat unweighted to untwist after each trip. I also use alot of braid w/ a fc leader for shakeyheads & ds. Widespool reels are awesome.
+1 Braided line with a floro leader is the way to go. In clear water high pressure lakes such as pleasant, Havasu, mead etc I tie about a 20-30 ft leader of 5-8 lb floro sunline to 20lb power pro. I use the double uni and it is soooo Sensitive. Plus I can reel the knot onto the spool through the eyes so u dont have to cast that 3-4 ft leader where your swivel is. Another plus is that braid doesn't twist and with KVD conditioner I hardly ever replace the main line braid just my leader. Good way to make that expensive spool of floro go a long way!
Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:33 PM   #12
Vanillagurilla

I do the same except I tie a 8-9' leader. What good is braid if it dosent leave the spool?
Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:41 PM   #13
QUANTUM

you don't need a swivel at all....

use a quality line and make sure it is spooled onto your reel correctly----if your reel spins in a clockwise direction, make sure the line comes off the refill spool and onto your reel in a counter clockwise fashion.
use a quality ds weight with a free spinning swivel in the tip of it
ALWAYS close your bail by hand no matter what technique you are fishing--engaging the bail by cranking the reel handle will put at least 2 to 3 twists in your line everytime !!!!!!!!
NEVER reel against the drag of a fighting fish---wait for the fish to stop pulling drag before reeling in line.

apply these simple steps and you will make your present line twist problems a thing of the past

"SLOW ROLLIN"
QUANTUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 05:10 PM   #14
Vanillagurilla

A good reel helps to, my fav is stradics.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 05:34 PM   #15
Justin95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanillagurilla View Post
I do the same except I tie a 8-9' leader. What good is braid if it dosent leave the spool?
Lol True but I tend to cast further than 20-30 ft. Plus a little extra leader gives a little shock absorber for hook sets. I start them long so when I re-tie my hook I get three or four ties before I use a new leader.