Arizona Bass Zone

January 25th, 2021     07:14 AM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fishing Chat

Old June 10th, 2016, 01:44 AM   #31
Fishman420

Quote:
Originally Posted by basman1313 View Post
Not sure which way you are going in but if you go through Point of Pines be sure and fish it. TONS of trout, small but fun on a fly or Zray. Also go up a little higher and take a look at Dry Lake.
Thanks Randy. We are staying south this time around, but might chase the bows if we don't get on the smallmouth bite. I am keeping all options open.
Fishman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2016, 09:49 AM   #32
jbv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman420 View Post
I am keeping all options open.
Lke going to tribal jail for having the wrong permits?
jbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 11:04 AM   #33
Delw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbv View Post
Like going to tribal jail for having the wrong permits?
LMAO it will be like a scene out of deliverance.

I dont think he realizes he got permits from the white mountain indian reservation and he is going to san carlos indian reservation.
or maybe he does and he is going the long way to the black river.

I'd love to be the bug on the windshield of that drive if he goes to the san carlos res.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

@#muskielivesmatter
@#bullsharklivesmattermore
Delw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #34
Fishman420

We'll know soon. We leave in about two hours.

From what I read on the White Mountain Apache Site, They said the fishing permits are good for both reservations and both sides of the river, I only have to make sure I camp on the right res.

Only questions is this "special use area" permit they are referencing. I don't know what "special use" areas they are talking about.
Old June 10th, 2016, 02:07 PM   #35
jbv

jbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 05:52 PM   #36
kinja

you need a black river special use permit. You got the wrong ones.
Old June 10th, 2016, 06:01 PM   #37
zxc

I don't know what you need but here is a link with several places to buy them at the bottom.
http://www.sancarlosapache.com/Permits_Information.htm
zxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 06:17 PM   #38
Catfish Campbell

Have fun...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0937.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	843.7 KB
ID:	94633  
Old June 13th, 2016, 03:31 PM   #39
russellweight

So did you guys slay them on the Black?
russellweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 01:29 PM   #40
Fishman420

Hey guys,
Sorry for the late post, but my kidneys are still recovering from the road. The Black River was a blast! Get ready, long ass Fishman Report below:

Tick Flats, Lower Black River 6-10 -6-12-2016

Friday night we rolled out late. Around 4:30pm, we didn't get past Cedar Creek until almost 8ish since a rainstorm came through and slowed everyone down. It was pouring at the Salt River bridge. We missed the R9/TickFlats Black River Crossing turnoff the first time. Everything was foggy. You guys were right about this place. The last two miles or so to Tick Flats was some sketchy S**t. At some points we were sliding downhill in the mud with all four tires spinning. Our neighbors were watching a movie on a sheet hung from the trees as we finally rolled in. Made it easy to know we had reached the campground area. Never saw where we actually camped. Got to Camp at around 1030pm. It took us almost as long to get to camp as it did to get to the dirt road. We couldn't see the river, but could hear it as we slept. I woke up at a campsite right by river.

Saturday morning: 5:45am, the boy and I woke up to paradise. Everything was green, lush, and amazing with 100+ year old trees everywhere and a cool 59deg. A bit of fog hovered just above the trees. Awe inspiring. We fished all day. First fish came mid morning and it went all day from there. We caught them on cranks, grubs and creatures just like everyone said. Biggest fish came on the hardbaits in the wider parts of the river. The fish were small, but every last one of them had the shoulders of much larger versions of their largemouth kin. I watched a 12 inch smallmouth jump 5 to 6 feet in the air just to spit my lure. It was worth the fight. I was amazed that in this area the water was no deeper than 5 feet at the most! Water was clear from top to bottom, even in the rapids and small pools. My son retired a bit early to take a nap at the truck and had an encounter with a small juvenile black bear who was attempting to reach our trash, little guy left before he "could get his camera out". Freakin kid was nuts. After lunch and a nap we fished out the day. The water was so nice, clean, and warm that going into the river to recover a hung lure was a pleasure and something you actually looked forward to. That evening involved scaring off a bear hovering around camp boundary at night, and a bull steer who moved in and would not leave until midnight.

Sunday 6:45 we got up packed and bailed. HOLY CRAP. We made the mistake of coming in to the river and to a place I was not familiar with at night. Once out of Tick Flats I missed the R9 road not once, but twice. The first time put us through a 30min detour to the top of a mountain after a good rock crawling and thorough testing of my Dodge Ram's stock suspension. The second time I crossed the road the other way and actually ended up on a way better, more established, graded road that turned to asphalt. Twice my boy and I left this road because we did not come in on asphalt and thought we screwed up worse. Second time I stayed on it and it took us into a neighborhood where some real cool Apaches showed us to the main road. That detour added an extra hour and a half to our trip. On the way out on the dirt road we spooked a tom from under a juniper, this was the biggest turkey I have ever seen in the wild. It looked like a small EMU. I am not kidding, this thing was so big it was scary.

All in all it was a bad ass trip that my son and I agreed will become an annual tradition. Though I think we may want to check out some other spots along the river now as well. I ended up with more fish caught, and my son ended up with more lost than landed, but his numbers will improve with my sense of direction as we spend more time here.

What I Learned:
1) You DO need the special Black River Use Permit for either res, on either side of the river. It costs $15 per day, but it does cover fishing permit for one person per day, and one camping pass per car per day. By paying for a camping permit and two fishing permits per day separately, I ended up paying more money. Don't do that. You can get all passes online, so no more need to find an open gas station in San Carlos or the White Mountains. Passes work on both sides of the river, but camping is limited to side you bought pass on.

2) There are NO Markers on the road at all. You are on your own. Get a good map. I know I am gonna get one. Go in during the day if you can. Do not discount the stories about this road. They are all true. This place was no joke. Google earth shows open spaces, not true. this place is heavily wooded and the oaks and junipers will block views of landmarks. You will need at least four wheel drive and decent ground clearance. Even a small amount of rain turns these roads to a muddy mess. The soil is real light, it gets muddy easily. And when you are going down the incredibly steep road to Tick Flats, you will slide all over the place in wet conditions. I have 21" wheels with brand new BFG AT KO6's and there were a few times where either bumper made contact with the road on a climb or decent. You will get your ass kicked. Just be ready for it, Go Real Slow (most of the time we were going under 10mph) and take your time. The road is worth it believe me. Just when you are about to give in, this place surprises you.

3) The smallmouth on the lower black tend to be small, but they fight REAL HARD and will hit almost ANYTHING if you present it properly. I got hit on almost every small hard bait in my tackle box. Brand and action did not matter, just size. If they could fit the back half in their mouth, they would eat it. Same with grubs and creatures, small sized was the only unifying pattern. Don't go too small of a line though, they are not line shy, I broke off some fish and I was using 6lb test. I lost my biggest of the day, a 2lb smallmouth right by the rocks as I was landing it. It just shook its head and broke my line! The rocks took their toll alot, but don't discount the fight in these small fish. Their mouths are super rough and they are real strong. Even the sunfish will rip a lure good in the pools. Most quantity of fish came from the small pools up and down the river, but the biggest were in the large wide open areas of the river.

4) This is one of the cleanest rivers I have ever been to in Arizona with pristine forest and clean beautiful campsites. Please, Please, Please clean up your mess and take it with you. Leave this place for future generations. There isn't a lot of space for a bunch of people, so even a small camp can have a big effect on this river. I would recommend catch and release since these fish are mostly juveniles and not worth the effort to clean them. If you want eaters, go up river to the showlow area and catch trout from the head waters. That's what they are there for.

5) Take bear spray with you and be ready to use it.

6) Oh yeah! Truck Tents ROCK! I will never sleep on the ground again. I haven't slept that good in the woods in at least 20 years! I bought the cheapest one from Sportsman's, it didn't fit perfectly, but it worked, and I loved it. If you can, get one.

Good Luck Guys Tight Lines.
Old June 16th, 2016, 06:30 PM   #41
Bayou

That is an awesome report Fisherman420. Thank you for it.
At first I didn't plan to read it all due to length. However, it was awesome and made me feel like being right there.
Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 06:37 PM   #42
YELOSUB

Man that was a great report...Looks like you and your boy had a great time and found a new place to venture... Thanks for sharing...Tim
DATE: 01/07/15 @ 8:50AM
LAKE: CANYON
LURE: SWIMBAIT
NET BITCH: JUSTIN
YELOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 07:16 PM   #43
catchandrelease

Great report , and good time with your son.
Welcome to the Black River. You don`t really know how it is until you go. There are many other great areas to explore in the future, Many lessons learned from your report for your future trips.
catchandrelease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 07:55 PM   #44
Roosevelt Mark

Very nice, it's on my bucket list for sure.
Roosevelt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 09:03 PM   #45
catchandrelease

Get a San Carlos map and look for Glenwood Canyon. The best ever on the Black.
Good dirt road going in from the main road that runs from Point Of Pines all the way north west to the turn off north about 5 miles from Point Of Pines, turns into a rocky / boulder road and dead ends about 300 ft above the river , steep hike down but no one goes there and the fishing is awesome. Lots of bears.
catchandrelease is offline   Reply With Quote