Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Sonar Snapshot: Dropshotting 101

26K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  JNHoffman57 
#1 ·
Maybe not THE Dropshotting 101 but at least "How I Drop-Shot"

I had a pretty good day fishing on Bartlett yesterday. Caught some on drop-shot and I was able to capture the output of my LCX-16CI while drop shotting. As I did before, I transferred the images from my fish finder to my computer and I made a picture out of it that can be viewed on the web. Actually its a big picture, too big to insert in a post. To get the best view of the picture, make sure your browser window is expanded to full screen. Get your Bookmarks or Favorites windows out of the way too so the text I added to the picture doesn't look funny.

The image took about 2 and a half to 3 minutes to record. Time moves from left to right. The part of the picture on the far right was recorded as much as 3 minutes after the image on the far left. Think of the image as a paper graph output or the output from your printer. The image is printed one line of pixels at a time and then the paper advances. This goes on until the whole page is printed. That's similar to what my graph did to produce the image.

I added some narrative text to explain what your seeing and what I was doing. Hope you like it.

Click here to view Dropshotting 101

See less See more
#7 ·
Very intresting da keep it up.
I found your post on 320 settings and went to there website and tryed it on there simulator. Its much better than the setup i was using. This may be a silly ? but with the chart speed up so high I tend to sit in one spot quite awhile were does the graph get the readings from. Does the graph keep going over the same spot under the boat?
Thanks d a

Joe C

#8 ·
Joe, its not a silly question. Many people can't connect what's going on below the boat with what's displayed on the screen.

My boat is not moving in the above drop-shotting picture. The only things moving are the drop-shot bait and the fish that swim by. The graph simply displays whats below the boat, time after time after time. If the boat is not moving, it will show the same spot under the boat for as long as you're there.

Imagine a graph with a 20 inch wide screen and you let the screen scroll across for a minute or two. Then take a photo of the screen with a camera.. That would be like my picture above. If your boat wasn't moving the depth to the bottom wouldn't have changed so the bottom will appear flat on the graph screen.

Its hard to explain, but I hope this helps.

#14 ·
D A,
Youre on top of the electronics game. Good job! What unit is this again? Also, how do bass suspended a littl e off the bottom appear? Just a red blur? Since this thing is so detailed, how do you tell if they are bass? Sorry so many questions!
Jason

#15 ·
Thanks all, glad you liked it.

Bullet Head: No additional graph pics from Bartlett today. But we caught fish.

Jason R: Its a Lowrance LCX-16CI. They don't make them anymore but the equivalent new model is the LCX-19C.. A bass suspended a little of the bottom will be a red line a little above the yellow bottom. How can I tell if they are bass? Once I get 'em in the boat its easy! Seriously, I can tell somewhat by how the fish chases the spoon. But a single fish on the bottom? I don't know if its bass, catfish or carp. If I catch one then I can assume its another bass, but I still don't know for sure.

#17 ·
Sonar Snapshot Dropshotting 101

Thanks for posting these, theyre great Based on your description of the last item, it appears you need to be offset quite a bit to get these scans. About how far off the wreck do you need to be to get such an image as the last one at 45 deep? Looks like that sonar has pretty good range.

#18 ·
Thanks for posting these, theyre great Based on your description of the last item, it appears you need to be offset quite a bit to get these scans. About how far off the wreck do you need to be to get such an image as the last one at 45 deep? Looks like that sonar has pretty good range.
Ask your question at arizonabass.com you should be able to find da there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.