Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Lake Havasu

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  HARDWARE 
#1 ·
I'm going to Lake Havasu for a week in mid January. Never fished there before but plan on fishing a few days. What kind of bass are in Havasu? What are some good places to fish? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Lake Havasu Information

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lake Havasu Information

Phoenix pro John Murray calls the tournament’s mid-March time slot the best time of the year to fish Lake Havasu. Anglers will likely be targeting the lake’s prolific largemouth-bass population, but according to Murray, the number of Havasu bronzebacks is on the rise and could flesh out several anglers‚ limits. Largemouths will probably be relating heavily to tules, buried in the heaviest cover they can find, and tubes, jigs and the Kinami Flash should be productive lures. Competitors will likely find the smallmouths, however, on rocky or sandy main-lake points, with anglers tempting these harder-to-find bass with drop-shot finesse worms in oxblood or watermelon patterns.

http://www.yumabassman.com/

http://www.basstraveler.com/lakeprofile2.asp?lakeid=30

http://www.citlink.net/~jimocker/

Lake Havasu City, Arizona, London Bridge Area

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=14&Z=11&X=231&Y=1192&W=1&qs=|Lake+Havasu|Arizona|

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=14&Z=11&X=231&Y=1192&W=1&qs=|Lake+Havasu|Arizona|

Good Luck And Have A Great Time Fishing....

#6 ·
hookfin,
Fishing has been pretty slow here lately what with the normal cold
weather of winter and some of the storms. Water temp has been
about 50-53 degrees. I haven't been up in the river lately but reports
on the river say fishing there is pretty slow. If you're just coming here
to do some fun fishing, I would stay in the main lake and concentrate
on main lake points and some of the deeper fish habitats (they're all
over the lake). For baits I would suggest lipless crankbaits, slow rolling
spinnerbaits, 1/2-3/4 oz. jigs in brown or brown/purple with a green
pumpkin trailer, or try drop shotting with Aarons magic,mm, or oxblood
worms. Areas around the island have been producing fairly good lately,
especially around the site six area.
There is an ABA tourny here on Jan. 12 and an Anglers Choice tourny
here on Jan. 19, but these circuits usually only get around 35 boats
so neither of these should be a problem.
I would suggest you call the tackle shop here when you know the
dates that you will be here and ask them what's going on at that time.
They have been very helpful.
Anglers Pro Shop
928-854-2277
Good Luck,
Ron

#9 ·
hookfin...I didn't say it was a bad time to go...anytime you get to go fishing is a good time! What I said was I wouldn't go there on a casual basis. Fishing there is tough that time of year. Why do I say that...because I'm very good friends with a family that has lived up there for over 30 years. They have taught me way more than I could have ever learned just fishing there by myself. If you want to catch numbers of fish in January, I suggest Bartlett or Roosevelt or find a striper/white bass bite at Pleasant.

#10 ·
This is a great time of year to target smallmouth bass out of Havasu. I will agree it is terrible for largemouth and stripers, but the smallies are active right now. Nobobdy really fishes for smallies though. You can even catch smallmouth on the surface in the winter. For smallmouth, I fish around the cap canal pump station. Any point with pea gravel or chunk rock. A few boat docks on the California side are full of smallmouth.
I will also say that a nice size largemouth is possible right now too. Especially around the London Bridge in the marina area. Spinner baits is the key around the boat dock. And if you don't have a good spinner bait go to the fishing store in Lake Havasu and just ask them what they would recommend. This works everytime. Those guys give out great advice. Or if you got a couple extra hundred dollars book a trip with Jim Oaker and he will teach you how to catch fish out of havasu.
The only problem with Havasu right now is if a cold front is moving through, it is going to be rough water. It is important to check the weather, I wouldn't want to get caught in white caps this time of year.

#11 ·
Here is a fishing report from Lake Havasu from the 28th of december. I just found it after my first reply. The only reason why I am posting it is to let you know how full of shit most people on this site are. That is because most of them are donators. I would seriously book a trip with Jim Oaker because I guarentee you will have a great day with him. I am so confident in Jim if you go out with him and you don't catch a fish I will give you fifty dollars towards the bill.

Conditions : LAKE HAVASU – The shad are becoming more prevalent and have been sighted in large quantities in the Site Six Marina and on the north end of the lake. They are beginning to increase in quantity at Sand Point Marina. They can be easily netted with traditional shad nets they are quite active right now and quick. If you are missing out on catching and retrieving shad because of this, consider crimping on additional net weights to enhance and increase the speed of nets descent.Another method of retrieval is to make and/or purchase an umbrella net. Toss this net out and let it sink to the bottom, then quickly pull upward on the net and the shad will be pulled inward toward the center of the net. This technique is quite a successful method for catching increased quantities of shad. Load up your shad bait bucket and add a bait preservative such as Shad Keeper to prolong the life of the bait. Avoid handling the shad and use a dip net when possible to catch them to rig.
Stripers are hitting and chasing shad and shad-colored crank baits right now.

The smallmouth bass are feasting on them as well. Target areas are 12 to 15 feet near rock points and natural wood habitat up river in the current.

Largemouth bass are not as active due to the water temperature declining but they can be caught during the early morning hours using Carolina rigs with 4-6 inch curly tail worms over or on the edges of the remaining weed lines in the backs of the coves.

#12 ·
Just curious have you ever actualy fished a tmx at Havasu in Jan. If you look at the results from the last 3 years of FLW the weights say it all. Not saying you cant catch a fish its just alot tougher than some other lakes. As for your donater coment i would love to have a side bet in the next tmx you enter just let me know when and where.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.