Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Save Alamo Lake Efforts

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Decoy 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The Save Alamo Lake group is formed and is planning a major fund raiser for Saturday, May 15. As I have more information about times, etc, I'll post it. There will be an auction, super raffle with high-end prizes, and a great barbecue. I hope a lot of you on the Zone will support the event. We all love to fish the lake, and if we don't do a little effort, it will close. Lets gather to have fun, maybe win or buy something, and contribute to the lake as well.

Here is something I just got off the town's website.
http://www.friendsofalamolake.com/

Update: The amount needed is $30,000. Please see the latest information.
http://www.wickenburgsun.com/article...ews/news02.txt

"Donations can be sent to the Tri-Valley Improvement Association (TVIA); Attn: Denise Slawson, Treasurer. A notation needs to be added with each donation indicating the funds must be earmarked for the “Save the Alamo” campaign. They should be sent to PO Box 1703, Salome, AZ 85348-1703. If, for some reason, it is not possible to keep Alamo lake open, donations will be returned. Because this is a 501c3, your donation is tax deductible. This is the same 501c3 fund that will be used for upcoming fundraisers. Vice Mayor John Cook is heading up the local effort to Save the Alamo. Alamo Lake is one of many state parks around Arizona scheduled to close for budgetary shortages. State officials have said it will take $50,000 to keep it open, so citizens from around the region are working to raise the needed dollars. The deadline is June 3rd. A large fundraiser is scheduled for May 15th at the Wickenburg Community Center. Alamo Lake has a significant impact on the town sales tax revenue."

I just talked to Wickenburg Councilman, John Cook today and he confirmed pretty much all of the above. The amount needed at this point seems to be a little fluid, but it's for sure somewhere between 25K and 50K. As I get more details I'll post them. The key is that there is a fund for donations and if, for some reason, the amount isn't reached the money can be returned. That's good since we know that it can't be relocated to another effort.

At this point, be sure to save the date and come to the event. Also, please donate if you possibly can. By the way, John is a great guy and avid fisherman. He is on the Zone sometimes, and can be totally trusted. He is heading up the effort. I have no question that the effort will succeed.

If anyone has any donation items they would like to include in the raffle or auction, please pm me and I'll get word to John.

Thanks for the interest.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.