Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

swivel on dropshot rig w/ SPINNING tackel?

• No, I do not use a swivel

Votes: 238 79.3%
  • yes, I use a swivel

Votes: 62 20.7%

dropshot swivel poll

15K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  northeastbasser 
#1 ·
How many of you use a swivel on your dropshot rig with SPINNING tackel?

This is only my second season dropshotting and line twist has been a pain in the ass. So I started using a swivel, line twist eliminated, but man what a pain in the ass to re-rig if you break your hook off in a tree. So I start making leaders with a quality snap swivel to get my bait back in the water quickly, but what a pain in the ass that is to!

Thinking about saying screw it, deal with the line twist.

#6 ·
From personal exp, a swivel is less strong than a direct knot or connection. Using a hollow braid or uni or albright has always been my choices. In ds'ing, I use a sinker that has a swivel. I also close the bail by hand every time I cast & let line out behind the boat unweighted to untwist after each trip. I also use alot of braid w/ a fc leader for shakeyheads & ds. Widespool reels are awesome.

#9 ·
From personal exp, a swivel is less strong than a direct knot or connection.
...not when you're using 8 pound line... even the smallest swivel will hold before the line breaks, even a small high quality snap swivel will hold before the line breaks.

Now with that said, using anything above 12 pound I'd be concerned about swivel failure. But then again, I remember when carolina rigging was king, you never heard anyone concerned about swivel failure with that rig....

#8 ·
I know this isn't the best picture, but if you can see how he has the worm hooked, it cuts down a lot on line twists.
I've rigged it that way and it works, but it sucks if you are fishing around brush.

:biggrin: Yup....I saw that on a BASS tourney one time[ ESPN] last year. I dont remember the pro[ I think it was Aaron Martins], but he was making very sure he had his bait hooked just right everytime & I rewound it several times just to see what he was doin. It works excellent..The hook actually works like a keel. I use a texposed ds in trees or bushes though. Not open hook.

#13 ·
you don't need a swivel at all....

use a quality line and make sure it is spooled onto your reel correctly----if your reel spins in a clockwise direction, make sure the line comes off the refill spool and onto your reel in a counter clockwise fashion.
use a quality ds weight with a free spinning swivel in the tip of it
ALWAYS close your bail by hand no matter what technique you are fishing--engaging the bail by cranking the reel handle will put at least 2 to 3 twists in your line everytime !!!!!!!!
NEVER reel against the drag of a fighting fish---wait for the fish to stop pulling drag before reeling in line.

apply these simple steps and you will make your present line twist problems a thing of the past

#16 ·
As a precaution for DS I elected this year to try a swivel. I use both PLine FC and Gamma FC. My equipment is a Loomis DS rod the 822 and a Shimano Twinpower reel. But last year in the FLW loosing a good over with my Senko spinning rod, a Loomis GLX 844and a Shimano with another Twinpower reel I went to a swivel for a little more comfort. And if you are going to throw a Senko in a river such as the Black a swivel is a must.

And I like what I seen using the KVD conditioning.

But keeping it simple to each their own and what you find comfort in might not work for someone else.

#17 ·
I always use a P-Line swivel when I dropshot, either when I'm nose hooking a Roboworm or dropshotting with a Texas-rigged worm/with offset hook. I use either a size 10 (31 lb. test) P-Line rolling barrel swivel or the size 10 (31 lb. test) high speed rolling trebel swivel. I'm not sure if one is better than the other for dropshotting but both are pretty tiny swivels and greatly reduce the line twist when dropshotting.

and

[URL="http://www.fishermanschoiceproshop.com/product/P-Line_P-Line-Rolling-Barrel/ST-20526"]

I also close the bail on the spinning reel by hand and use 2500 size spools on my spinning reels, which are a little larger diameter than the 2000 size spools.

I use 6 lb. test Seaguar InvizX fluorocarbon line. When there is grass or trees around, I use a Texas-rigged Roboworm with a No. 1 light wire offset worm hook. It greatly reduces the snags and breakoffs.

#18 ·
After you tie your knot are you putting the tag end back thru the eye of the hook so it sits up right? I almost never get line twist when DSing and i dont use the best line nor do i use a drop shot weight or a swivel. When i do get line twist its usaully cuz i have my bait rigged crooked on the hook.

#19 ·
After you tie your knot, are you putting the tag end back thru the eye of the hook so it sits upright?
Yes, always. Put after tying on the hook, put the tag end of the line through the eye of the hook, from the top down and pull the line through. The dropshot weight is then connected to the tag end of the line.

#20 ·
I pretie the leaders and wrap them around styrofoam sheets with slits in them. I feel small swivels don't detract from the feel and help eliminate line twist. It sure makes retying easy and fast. At night it is especially effective for us old guys who can't see our hand in front of our face.

#21 ·
I have used a swivel for years on my dropshot rigs and also for senko fishing with braid and a floro leader and i have NEVER had a swivel brake on me. I never have line twist. I also pre make my dropshot rigs with swivels attached prior to going to the lake and put them in the smallest zip lock bags i can find and that way i can easily store them in my pocket. Most times when i brake off a dropshot when using braid the swivel is still attached to the main line so all i have to do is tie one knot back on the swivel still attached to the braid and im back in business.

#22 ·
I have been tying up these and it works well:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_30025____SearchResults

But I don't like spending that much time at the kitchen table tying knots just to go fishing.

I use good line, spool it correctly, flip my bail, put tag end threw the eye, use quality ds weight and all that stuff everyone is suggesting.

BUT, after fishing a drop shot for 4 straight hours or more without a swivel, I almost always have to cut off my bait and fire up the big motor and take a line un-twist spin. Not sure how you can avoid it even with all those previously mentioned tricks.

I think I will try the braid to flouro leader, seems to be the best option, and you gain sensitivity. But I think it will require a lighter tipped rod then the one I am currently using...

#23 ·
I have evolved into:
7' Med/XF rod, 10 lb braid, 8 lb fluoro leader of ~7-8 ft. attached to braid with double uni knot, (10 lb leader if in lots of brush), worms nose hooked,.
The double uni was suggested by other Zoners. Good hint. Took some practice @ home tying knot, but sure like it now. Have never broken off on a fish, just on trees & rocks.

No twist probls, beautiful sensitivity.
Also threw it with senkos -- weightless and 1/4 oz.
Am averaging having to tie on the double uni knot leader once a trip. More difficult to do at night, but by then I usually leave the DS for a TR bait caster with 15 lb fluoro.

I do a swivel with my BubbaShot rig. It's my crankin/spinnerbait BC rod with 12 lb fluoro, swivel, and 10 or 12 lb fluoro leader.

Bob C., Globe, Az.

#24 ·
See above.....+1

Only difference is that I prefer fireline to braid, and I use a surgeon's knot. More semantics than anything else. I'm sure rcorley and I could switch gear and never notice a difference.

#26 ·
I never use a swivel. If your line gets twisted you can fix it. Take off your lure so nothing is attached to your line. Get on your trolling motor and let your line out. Once your line is out far enough pinch it tightly and reel it in. Your line should untwist if you use good FC.

#28 · (Edited)
Braid for DS because I change it once a year and change the leader regularly. Just makes sense to use a 30.00 spool of Sugoi 15 feet at a time instead of 100+yd. You will notice that my preference has changed since my last post on this when it was current. I now use Samurai braid instead of Fireline.

#31 ·
I have to share this experience. I have several poles in spinning and bait casters and try to keep up on the new and current baits and techniques. My brother who I fish with most of the time uses an (one) old heavy pole with an old open face reel. I keep telling him he should update to some newer gear but he always replies with, why should I, I still catch more fish than you with all the rods and gear you have. True!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.