Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Airforce Veteran interested in a day trip

5K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  ejsander 
#1 ·
Howdy all,

I guess I will use this as an introduction thread as well. My name Is Jason, I'm 26 years old and a former Airforce Veteran. I began fishing when I was a toddler growing up in Bakersfield, California. Grew up fishing the Forks of the Kern and Lake Isabella with my father. Moved out here to AZ several years ago and have finally gotten the itch to get into bass fishing. I've gone out to Saguaro Lake a few times over the past couple of months and caught a beautiful large-mouth weighing in at 8lbs/22inches, from there I was hooked!

Had the privilege of meeting Gary Senft at Bass Pro a few weeks ago and he was kind enough to walk me around the store and suggest some Bass tackle. Thank you again, Gary! Also spent a couple hours speaking with David from the Bass Pro fishing department and absorbed all of the knowledge and recommendations he had to offer. Another special thanks goes out to him.

Anyway, I'm back in college pursuing a degree in Cisco Network Administration and would love the chance to head out to the local lakes on my free time. Teaming up with an experienced fisherman would certainly be an added bonus as well. I look forward to chatting with most of you and picking your brains and hope to get the opportunity to spend a day on the lake with a fellow angler!

Take care and good luck to all of you on the water!

See less See more
#2 ·
If you wanted to look into a bass club, the new year is about to start. Check out Chandller Bass Club at ChandlerBassClub.com. There is always someone that has an open backseat and you will learn alot. I fished for a little over a year out of the backseat and learned quite a bit about fishing in the desert. We do one tournament a month and about half of those we do 2 day tournaments where we camp at the lake. We also do the night tournaments during the summer, so you will learn night fishing also.

I would say joining a club would be the best bet to learn as much as possible as fast as possible. Plus a great bunch of guys that have backseats open outside of fishing the club tournaments.

Good luck

#8 ·
someone will take you out, these guys are pretty cool. some are also queer so watch your back.

While you were at Bassproshop's did you See or speak to "Cartman" in the crappie section? ;)

#9 ·
JWoods,
what was your role in the AF? I have a son the same age as you, he was AF TACP.

Should be good conversations in the boat.:D

#10 ·
Jason, welcome aboard the Zone where opinions are many. There are alot of good guys on this site and things get lively here as well. It pays to have a thick skin but most of the jiving is in fun and jest.

Thank you for your service to this country. I too have a son in the Air Force. He's a Viper Driver as they say. Are you free most weekends to fish?

#11 ·
Right on guys, thank you for the warm welcoming. I'll definitely take you guys up on the offers, PM's will be sent shortly.

RookieBoy, I was a boom operator on a KC-135r out of Altus, OK. I was medically discharged after a few years and sure do miss it, but onto bigger and better things now I guess.

#14 ·
Right on guys, thank you for the warm welcoming. I'll definitely take you guys up on the offers, PM's will be sent shortly.

RookieBoy, I was a boom operator on a KC-135r out of Altus, OK. I was medically discharged after a few years and sure do miss it, but onto bigger and better things now I guess.
A freaking Boomer, all you guys did was lay on your belly and pass gas to my planes. I've worked on both sides of that boom.

I have fished Lake Isabella a lot of times - my parents live over the hill from there. Planning fishing that lake again in the spring - I bet there are some big friggin fish in that lake these days.

Welcome to the Zone - a lot of good people on here.
Yes Mark I would like to go back and fish it too. Maybe this Spring.

#12 ·
Altus, Ok. Bakersfield, Ca. almost the same shit. Lots of Okies. Had 5 local pd.s pull us over at gun point for running a red light in my bros. caddie in Altas on our way to Duncan, Ok. to see our dad. Last yr. That is Air Force Town.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.