Budget bassing poll - Page 3 - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

October 30th, 2020     09:41 PM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fishing Chat

View Poll Results: Which budget bassing approach would you recommend?
Pimped out kayak 13 16.25%
Older 15' McCrappie Rocket Ship 6 7.50%
Newer 17' Crappie style tracker Rocket Ship 22 27.50%
"Oldie but a goodie" needs a lot of love tracker 33 41.25%
"Pimp my Gila River Trophy Hunder" Pelican Bass Raider 6 7.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 6th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #31
bigfrog789

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcoueshunter View Post
I've had a couple of the dingys and once you have a boat with all the goodies its hard to turn back - guys take their huge bass boats just to use the trolling motors on the little mtn trout lakes -

unless you have to carry your boat to water, to be able to stand up and walk around and not just sit in one spot all day , makes for a much more enjoyable day. go big as you can afford.

give me some room to fish
Agreed. I can stand up in my kayak all day long and can pull up on just about any shoreline if I need a walk. That's without stabilizers which you can add to just about any kayak these days. With them Im guessing I could do cartwheels on the damn thing. I can also toss an anchor out, lay down on the boat and take a nap if I want to. Id say thats more than enough room and flexibility for someone with a tight budget trying to get off the bank.

Did I mentioned it doesn't require gas, oil, maintenance, registration, batteries, a trailer, or even a truck for that matter?

As an avid kayak fisherman my opinion is obviously biased. But with that said, I think a LOT of people have a misconception about kayaks - specifically fishing kayaks. They're a lot more versatile than folks realize.
bigfrog789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2014, 08:40 AM   #32
VinnieTheFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfrog789 View Post
Agreed. I can stand up in my kayak all day long and can pull up on just about any shoreline if I need a walk. That's without stabilizers which you can add to just about any kayak these days. With them Im guessing I could do cartwheels on the damn thing. I can also toss an anchor out, lay down on the boat and take a nap if I want to. Id say thats more than enough room and flexibility for someone with a tight budget trying to get off the bank.

Did I mentioned it doesn't require gas, oil, maintenance, registration, batteries, a trailer, or even a truck for that matter?

As an avid kayak fisherman my opinion is obviously biased. But with that said, I think a LOT of people have a misconception about kayaks - specifically fishing kayaks. They're a lot more versatile than folks realize.

What model kayak do you have? Pics of the setup with the stabilizer?

Good comments guys keep them coming. Helping out the guys starting out or on a limited budget helps grow the sport.
VinnieTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 09:42 AM   #33
bigfrog789

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieTheFish View Post
What model kayak do you have? Pics of the setup with the stabilizer?

Good comments guys keep them coming. Helping out the guys starting out or on a limited budget helps grow the sport.
I fish from a Wilderness Systems Ride135. Ive attached a pic to give you some perspective on the boat size. Im 6 foot 210 lbs and have plenty of room to do what I need to do.

The Wilderness system boats have a "slide track" railing system, giving you unlimited possibilities to add accessories. Anything from graphs to a hydrowave if you wanted (yes they make some specifically for kayaks).

As for stabilizers - there's a bunch of kits on the market that adapt to different kayak/canoe makes and models. I think Hobie also has a stabilizer kit specifically made for their boats. I know a few of our local Hobie guys on here have one for their boats so maybe someone will post a pic. I dont have pictures (because I dont use them or have one) but you can find a ton of pictures on the net of different set ups, how they work, and what they look like. Here's one example:

http://www.kayakcity.com/scotty-kayak-stabilizers-302/
Old February 7th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #34
Forrest Webb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunko! View Post
Vinnie, you need to have at least an F-350 towing a brand new sparkle boat or youll get kicked out of the cool club. Im sure glad the catfishing community doesnt judge you by the image, but rather the functionality of your rig.
Not true, I tow my sparkle boat with an F-250 and haven't been kicked out yet...

Oh yeah and my boat only has sparkles on the inside...
Forrest Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #35
jay

As an avid fisherman from when I was a kid, I always wanted to get off-shore. I grew up fishing from the banks until I was around 15. I scraped up enough money to buy a canoe...even before I had a car..lol. When I finally turned 16, I got an old beater. I was able to tie that canoe on top and take it to the river and lakes...thrilled as hell. It at least got me on the water. Then, I saved up for a trolling motor. I was in about $800 total and it got me on the water, plus, I did not need a truck to tow. Next, I "upgraded"...go ahead an laugh :-) to a jon boat. I was still able to tie that thing on top of the car and go. Also bought a little used 5hp outboard. It was a little more stable and had more room. You could actually "stand up in it" without it tipping over like the canoe. Bought a couple of seat, carpet and customized it. Think that I ended up spending around $1500-1800. Until I got older and a real job...this worked for me. You can do a lot with a small budget and it is all about what you individually need. Thankfully, I now I have upgraded a lot more than 20 years ago :-). If you cannot afford the $50k+ bass rigs, join a club and fish as a co-angler. You meet a lot of great fisherman...and don't forget to kick in some $$ for gas :-)
jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 12:19 AM   #36
bksnaz

There are a lot of other variables at play here for the buyer. Do they have a tow vehicle, storage space, maintenance money, what kind of fishing, where, etc..

I have a small 16-17ft fiberglass sprint bass boat and it sits in the garage. Probably go up for sale here shortly. Bought my first used kayak about 1.5 years ago, bought a newer one 6 months later. I have fished every other weekend or so since. In the past, I would take the boat out 6-8 times a year max. Yes my range on the lakes in smaller now but the enjoyment is even better on the yak. Great exercise too. Like bigfrog789 stated, hardly any maintenance and the typical expense is minimal. We have 3 kayaks now and the wife and kids enjoy them. It enabled us to enjoy fishing and more family time in nature on a smaller budget. Win..Win - I wish I would have done it sooner.
I will probably buy another glass bass boat after the kids leave but I think I will always have a yak or something like it as well.
There is just something pleasantly different about it. Met some nice people along the way as well.
bksnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 08:48 AM   #37
NuDay

I like the newer BT, newer motor means I feel a little more secure . 9.9 lets it run up North. On a limited budget older boats would scare me if the motor blew I'd have a planter sitting in the yard.
Because this option was not in the pole, my first choice would be trying to find an open seat or join a club that does draws. Buying a boat is not a one time expense, at least it hasn't been in my experience.
Old February 8th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #38
catch'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfrog789 View Post
I fish from a Wilderness Systems Ride135. Ive attached a pic to give you some perspective on the boat size. Im 6 foot 210 lbs and have plenty of room to do what I need to do.

The Wilderness system boats have a "slide track" railing system, giving you unlimited possibilities to add accessories. Anything from graphs to a hydrowave if you wanted (yes they make some specifically for kayaks).

As for stabilizers - there's a bunch of kits on the market that adapt to different kayak/canoe makes and models. I think Hobie also has a stabilizer kit specifically made for their boats. I know a few of our local Hobie guys on here have one for their boats so maybe someone will post a pic. I dont have pictures (because I dont use them or have one) but you can find a ton of pictures on the net of different set ups, how they work, and what they look like. Here's one example:

http://www.kayakcity.com/scotty-kayak-stabilizers-302/
Also he's uncordinated and clumsy as phuck,... and I've never seen him fall out of it,... even without stabilizers
catch'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 05:44 AM   #39
bigfrog789

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch'n View Post
Also he's uncordinated and clumsy as phuck,... and I've never seen him fall out of it,... even without stabilizers
LMAO. Came close a few times
Old February 9th, 2014, 08:50 AM   #40
Flounder

Another vote for the kayak here. You can often pick up a nice fishing yak on Craigslist for under $500.00. I'm fairly new to kayak fishing but I love it for many of the reasons already mentioned in this thread. Maybe someone can take the OP fishing in a yak to see what it's like. I took a friend of mine fishing in my spare yak one time and he bought his own yak within a week.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 09:06 AM   #41
VinnieTheFish

Yesterday I stopped by Southwest Kayaks in Tempe as i wanted to see the Hobie Pro Angler 12 in person (compatible to the pimped out Native on craigslist minus the trolling motor). The Hobie looked nice but I just about shat myself when the sales guy said they are selling it for $2999.99. That price didn't 't even include the livewell accessory, and electronics, dolly wheel, etc. Then there was the question of how to get it from A to B with a Jeep Grand Cherokee on top and what would need to be purchased to secure it properly.

Suddenly I see why the $2000 obo kayak on craigslist seems like such a deal for one of the top end models. The peddle drive units look like something that would be fun to have to get some exercise while fishing but it seems relatively price prohibited for most people.

As for the 2 panfish stick steer boats they are both off the market already. Guess there is a bigger market for those than I thought.
Old February 9th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #42
Skunko!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Webb View Post
Not true, I tow my sparkle boat with an F-250 and haven't been kicked out yet...

Oh yeah and my boat only has sparkles on the inside...
Well, maybe a lifted pavement queen F-250 will do in a pinch.
Old February 10th, 2014, 10:03 AM   #43
Kcampbell

So I am going to look at 2 different styles of boat today that i want. One is a true bass boat style, the 2nd is a small bayliner type that i can still fish out of and has a trolling... not sure if i will enjoying fishing out of it though....

Thoughts?

(this not the exact boat... and in worse condition. but better images for threads sake)

http://www.midstatemarineinc.com/new...sp?pov=2620847

vs

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/boa/4317622449.html
Kcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 10:14 AM   #44
azcoueshunter

the first bayliner style is great for the "older guys " whom have trouble kneeling -bad back/kness etc. and need to be able to sit down and even take a snooze - the front fishing platform is gonna be similar - not much storage for poles and wheres the live well ? great for the trolling days - always see them going down the road with poles hanging out the back !?

the bass type is more modern "young guns " style of go fasat - get there first and stand up fishing with lots of deck space with great storage areas and better live well set-up - you rarely see this type boat just trolling around!
azcoueshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 10:24 AM   #45
VinnieTheFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcampbell View Post
So I am going to look at 2 different styles of boat today that i want. One is a true bass boat style, the 2nd is a small bayliner type that i can still fish out of and has a trolling... not sure if i will enjoying fishing out of it though....

Thoughts?

(this not the exact boat... and in worse condition. but better images for threads sake)

http://www.midstatemarineinc.com/new...sp?pov=2620847

vs

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/boa/4317622449.html

The front casting deck is your biggest issue there. If you only fish 1 rod all day long and don't put down another it's not an issue. Same with netting a fish. Seems a bit tight if someone needs your help to net a fish.

I'd say stick with the bass boat style boat. You'll be much happier in the long run and it will be easier to sell if you decide to upgrade.