Stripers and cloud covee - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

October 22nd, 2020     11:07 PM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fishing Chat

Old June 24th, 2015, 08:21 AM   #1
triton1

Stripers and cloud covee

I had a question for the Lake Pleasant Striper fishermen ... I've been targeting the Lake Pleasant striper boils at first light and notice that the fish turn off and go deep as soon as the sun hits the water. Is this the norm? and.. What have you guys found on cloudy days and/or monsoon season? I'm hoping they are active longer so I can get more for tacos Thanks for any advice
triton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2015, 08:51 AM   #2
Handyman

I can't speak much on cloud cover but I've seen more shad boils between 7-8 pm than I have the times I've been on the water at first light.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 08:55 AM   #3
sphynx99

I haven't seen much topwater action lately, but I haven't been chasing it either. It seems to me that everything feeds (birds, bass, shad) at first light, and things slow down as the sun starts to come up.

My technique for catching stripers is that I have identified a number of spots on the lake where it seems to be a "fish highway". I think stripers are always on the move, and if you're in their way, they will come eventually. If you chum with anchovies, you can get them to show up, or make them stick around.

The only factors that seem to depress striper fishing for me are:
1) a day or two after a big storm blows through
2) a full moon that is up all night, and is still in the sky at sunrise
3) heavy winds

I haven't noticed any difference on cloudy days. The short storm bursts we get during monsoon season don't seem to matter, either, unless there is a lot of wind during the day.

Night fishing is great during monsoon season, the water is usually calm, the temperature is great, and it's so peaceful.
sphynx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2015, 07:32 PM   #4
Striper Mike

I have found the topwater bite to last longer with very overcast days but the fish will eat regardless whether at the surface or 70' deep they will eat. I had the kids out last Saturday on the ski boat and at 2pm we saw fish hit the surface for a few minutes and then back down they went.
Striper Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 05:42 AM   #5
eo3510

When I'm anchored, I notice the bite shut off at a little after grey light, then 50/50 whether or not another flurry just after the sun hits the water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blah, blah, blah, that's all i got to say about that~! roadkill46

You're a vile piece of shit. ThereHeIs
eo3510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 01:21 PM   #6
triton1

Thanks for the replies... What do you use for chum besides anchovy pieces and how much do you throw out at a time??
Old June 25th, 2015, 01:49 PM   #7
eo3510

Mostly anchovy. cut up 2-3 in 3/8" slices and broadcast them around the boat every 5-10 minutes. If I have sardines for bait I'll do some of those as well. It won't bring them to the surface though. I just use this to get the bite going when there's not a lot of baitfish early in the evening or later in the morning after they've dispersed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blah, blah, blah, that's all i got to say about that~! roadkill46

You're a vile piece of shit. ThereHeIs
eo3510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 05:39 AM   #8
Fishless

not that many years ago if we had this typical summer heat and sun and we got a monsoon storm at night with cooler temps and cloud cover in the early a.m. the next day it used to be something to look forward to as the surface action was crazy and often the larger stripers and other species, now in recent years it does not seem to make a difference if they are up and feeding they are if not clouds or no clouds it is slow, lately they have been up and playing way after sun rise even when it is getting terribly hot out.
Old June 26th, 2015, 05:44 AM   #9
triton1

thanks for all the replies. Bruce, let me know if you need a partner. Jim
Old June 27th, 2015, 08:34 AM   #10
Skunko!

I dont understand people. If you want a noon topwater bite, move to kentucky.
Fish bite at first light and last light in arizona.
Skunko! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 10:58 PM   #11
Wouldhe

I have a spot up on the north end where I anchor, put out a green crappie light and fill my live well every time. Of course it is night time.
Wouldhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 01:41 PM   #12
jaronk

I fished last sunday and the stripers boiled from 10-noon. No clouds. Just depends on the day.And skunko is an idiot that wants to respond with some jibberish on every post he can.
Old June 28th, 2015, 02:54 PM   #13
Skunko!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaronk View Post
I fished last sunday and the stripers boiled from 10-noon. No clouds. Just depends on the day.And skunko is an idiot that wants to respond with some jibberish on every post he can.
Why thank you. I appreciate and respect your opinion as much as you do mine. Ive been fishing pleasant all my life and have never known there to be some miraculous topwater bite at noon.
Old June 28th, 2015, 03:21 PM   #14
basman1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunko! View Post
Why thank you. I appreciate and respect your opinion as much as you do mine. Ive been fishing pleasant all my life and have never known there to be some miraculous topwater bite at noon.
From 1997 to 2005 when Plez was full of 5lb LM and bigger you could always catch buzz and rico fish mid day. Just needed to find shade. Cliff walls were pretty consistent. Hell, you can do that right now at Sag.
Old June 28th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #15
Skunko!

Quote:
Originally Posted by basman1313 View Post
From 1997 to 2005 when Plez was full of 5lb LM and bigger you could always catch buzz and rico fish mid day. Just needed to find shade. Cliff walls were pretty consistent. Hell, you can do that right now at Sag.
Yeah, shade.
At noon.