Sinking Fly Line - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

October 20th, 2020     06:57 AM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fishing Chat

Old July 1st, 2015, 09:34 PM   #1
DickValentine

Sinking Fly Line

I've scoured the interwebs high and low for info....and can't find anything - what action fly rod would you use to cast it? Being a different density, the rod has to be different than what you'd use for floating line, correct?
DickValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2015, 10:35 PM   #2
Crankbait

You can use sinking fly line on just about any fly rod. A faster action rod will handle it better but you can certainly use it on most rods. Sinking line is rated for use on in specific weight ranges like any other flyline so an 8 weight rod would utilize the appropriate line weight ( usually measured in grains). Just match the line weight to the rod weight like you would with a floating line.

The AFFTA line chart makes it easier to convert grains to a standard rod action http://www.affta.org/wp-content/uplo...ight_specs.pdf

Casting sinking line is not graceful, the stress comes from trying to haul up all that weighted line. The line needs to be brought to the surface more by stripping it in or roll casting it to raise it up until you can go into a back cast and get the line back out.
Personally I don't care for sinking line however if you want to dredge deeper for stripers it will work.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 03:55 AM   #3
midge master g

I have the Rio In Touch deep 6. I use it on my wt. It work very nice. It sinks around 6 inches per second. Rio has other lines that don't sink as fast. I wanted a line that gets deep fast. This line lets me fish15 to 20 feet with no problem.

Your other option is to purchase sink tips. They work quite well to and are very easy to cast.

Good luck to you.
midge master g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2015, 06:44 AM   #4
DickValentine

Thanks for the info guys.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 11:18 PM   #5
HitACraw

Location: Where opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work...
If you need to get it deep enough that you need sinking fly line, you might as well just nut up and buy a good baitcasting rig, or if you must, a spinning outfit (notice I said outfit, because that's what chicks go shopping for).

Not trying to be a prick, these are tools to catch fish. I see this no differently than trying to make a flat blade screwdriver work on a Philips head screw - sure you can eventually fine a flat blade that might work but why not just do it right the first time?

Sorry, possibly getting too deep in thought for the 'zone over here.
HitACraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 11:33 PM   #6
Skunko!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitACraw View Post
If you need to get it deep enough that you need sinking fly line, you might as well just nut up and buy a good baitcasting rig, or if you must, a spinning outfit (notice I said outfit, because that's what chicks go shopping for).

Not trying to be a prick, these are tools to catch fish. I see this no differently than trying to make a flat blade screwdriver work on a Philips head screw - sure you can eventually fine a flat blade that might work but why not just do it right the first time?

Sorry, possibly getting too deep in thought for the 'zone over here.
Thats exactly how I feel about people spending 25 dollars on a swimbait when I can hook up the real thing for free and catch more and bigger fish.
Skunko! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 11:39 PM   #7
Handyman

Why does everyone knock spinning reels?

I don't understand why everyone knocks spinning reels. They are one of the most versatile setups for someone who doesn't want to haul several rod/reel combos. With interchangeable spools you can switch from 4lb test to 12 lb test in a few seconds. I've used them for years for everything from big northern pike in Canada to ultra light setups for crappie and trout. Maybe it takes too much coordination to hook the line with one finger and flip the bail with the other hand??
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 11:53 PM   #8
HitACraw

Location: Where opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunko! View Post
Thats exactly how I feel about people spending 25 dollars on a swimbait when I can hook up the real thing for free and catch more and bigger fish.
You have a damn fine point there, nonetheless I'm guilty as charged!!

How long does a trout last with a through eye hook job, or do you lip hook em? Also - no regs on fishing gizzard on a hook... just sayin'
Old July 2nd, 2015, 11:56 PM   #9
HitACraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
I don't understand why everyone knocks spinning reels. They are one of the most versatile setups for someone who doesn't want to haul several rod/reel combos. With interchangeable spools you can switch from 4lb test to 12 lb test in a few seconds. I've used them for years for everything from big northern pike in Canada to ultra light setups for crappie and trout. Maybe it takes too much coordination to hook the line with one finger and flip the bail with the other hand??
All setups are tools. Some tools are just better suited for different people. Like how skirts look better on women than men. You could use a skirt as a tool of sorts, but I'm not sure what you'd be going after with it. At least with a spinning rig I would know your intentions, so I guess the spinning rig has an advantage over a skirt. You're making progress with me.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 12:15 AM   #10
Skunko!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
I dunno, I fish the shit out of them. In fact, Im switching back from conventional reels to spincasts on my heavy rigs I use for flatheading.
Skunko! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 06:11 AM   #11
Scott S.

A bait casting reel or even a spinning reel can't cast a fly. Look at size of the fly's used in the San Juan...The San Juan is to fly fishing as the Delta, Guntersville, Lake Okeechobee is to bass fishing. Depending on the time of year, weighted lines are need to fish for trout, and the water being fished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K-CgbS9k_c

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pro-Tech mat Distributor..
Sparta Carpet 20 oz plush 24 oz Ultra Plush , Distributor, Installer
Marine Vinyl flooring, 2 weights, 20 colors.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 06:21 AM   #12
midge master g

You would have to put a casting bubble on to do it.
midge master g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 09:03 AM   #13
augnmike

Using a fly rod for deep water is fine, of course a lot depends on the definition of deep. I have caught lots of tuna, dorado and billfish on fly gear. I have caught most every species of freshwater fish (not all, but most) in deep water as defined as 20 or so feet and shallower. There is something especially fun for some people in catching fish on fly gear. To each his own.
augnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #14
DickValentine

Yeah, just thought I'd pose the question. I can definitely see the diminishing return on sinking fly line, when you could just very well throw a sinker on a conventional set-up.