Saguaro Lake 7.10.15 (Pics) - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

October 29th, 2020     03:27 AM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Reports > Lake Reports

Old July 10th, 2015, 06:45 PM   #1
YELOSUB

Saguaro Lake 7.10.15 (Pics)

Well finally got out and made it to Sag, one of my favorite fishing holes...Feels like it's been forever...Jim (Phishinphool) and I arrived at about 4:05am and were on the water about 4:20...

Saw Gary (midge master) at the ramp and we all made the run up river past the no wakes...It was a beautiful morning, not hot and calm waters...I found a spot where the water was running pretty good and formed a little current break with the rocks...I hit anchor lock and pretty soon fish we're busting here and there around us...

I caught our first fish on a clear Super Spook Jr which was a nice 2# saguaro chunk...Soon after that I landed several more on the double fluke rig with the biggest going right around 3.5#...I ended up with (5) fish in this one location...

Jim finally connected with a nice 3.5# on a Senko, Jim's favorite bait...That was it for this spot...

I asked Jim if he wanted to check out further up river since he's never fished up there and he says sure...We motored all the way up to just shy of the Dam and start working the our way back...We came up on a shallow flat in front of some tullies and Jim spots a fish he thinks is a carp because it's a tank...I see it swimming slowly away and realize that ain't no carp...I grab my 10" triple trout and make a long cast in front of it and start burning it across the flat...The fish comes swimming fast at my bait and just starts following it...I try alternate my reeling but can't get him to bite...I do this several times and each time the fish chases my bait but won't commit... By this time we see several tanks swimming on this shallow flat, at least (2) eights and another one about (5) pounds...

Jim picks up his Hudd 68 special and makes a cast out to deeper water and reels it back up to the shallow flat...Yep, that damn fish is on it like a cheap suit...The fish is inches behind Jim's bait every cast and follows it to just a few feet from the the boat...I tell Jim to kill it and Jim does, the bait is just sitting there and the fish is nosed up on it and Jim is shaking the bait but the fish won't take it...This is all happening only a like 5 feet from the boat in 2 feet of water, I've got the boat on anchor lock...Man that feature kicks ass, the current was strong and it held us everywhere we went today...Anyways since the fish is not hitting Jim's bait and it starts swimming off, I fling my Deps 250 Flash Carp a few feet past a start reeling...As the fish is swimming off he turns and slams my bait and I set the hook...I see my back treble hook come free from the corner of his mouth, damn it I missed a 8+ but it was sure fun to watch...

I look out to deeper water and see an absolute submarine of a fish just cruising along, I'm thinking easy DD fish...The fish slowly drops down into deeper water so I chuck my Deps 250 out and start reeling reel slow, stopping it every so often...I can see my bait coming towards me and all of sudden the submarine is tracking my bait...It keeps swiping at it going back and forth behind it but not fully committing...I try everything to get it to eat it but she won't...The bait is getting closer to the boat and I'm running out of room...The fish simply turns away and swims back out to deeper water...I do the same thing and the same damn thing happens...I switched up several different swimbaits, retrieves, etc.., and after about an hour of frustration I gave up...Jim did have a hit on the Hudd 68 as he fished it fast in the current on top of the water, that was pretty cool...We left the area dejected and frustrated that we couldn't put a swimbait fish in the boat but it was fun and exciting to watch their behavior...

We switched areas and tactics and boated a total of (17) fish by 12 noon...Our (5) biggest fish limit would have been over 23# with a 7# kicker which I caught and a 6# kicker that Jim caught...I also caught a solid 4# and a couple 3.5# and Jim caught a nice 3.5#...It was an incredible day on the water and I had a great time with Jim as always...The weather was nice, it did get really windy at times but that kept it from feeling to damn hot...

Bigger fish were weighed on my Rapala digital scale...All fish were released...

I'm sure I forgot something, if I did I'll let Jim add it...

Here are the pics:

My 7#

My 4#

Jim's 6#

Jim's 3.5#

DATE: 01/07/15 @ 8:50AM
LAKE: CANYON
LURE: SWIMBAIT
NET BITCH: JUSTIN

Last edited by YELOSUB; July 10th, 2015 at 08:20 PM.
YELOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #2
gric_az

Sounds like an kick a** day
gric_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #3
Roosevelt Mark

Outstanding job and read, thanks Tim.
Roosevelt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #4
bksnaz

sweet
bksnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 08:46 PM   #5
AZMike49

Great report. That is a fun day and nice fish. Outstanding, I will have to further up the river sounds like great structure. Good job Tim and Jim.
AZMike49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 09:25 PM   #6
Handyman

Nice detailed report. Never fished Saguaro, I may have to make that drive someday soon.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 01:18 AM   #7
azhawaiian

That is awesome! Nice job!
azhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 06:31 AM   #8
gang cop

Don't tell Jim, but damn he's getting old ....
gang cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 06:54 AM   #9
HOLE IN THE WATER

GREAT REPORT, BACK IS GETTING A LOT BETTER. NEED TO GET OUT WITH YOU GUYS AND CATCH A FISH.
HOLE IN THE WATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 07:58 AM   #10
midge master g

I had a fantastic time out there as well. We boated 6 fish. I have a brand new rod that my partner built for me. It's like a noodle. I have it spooled with 6 pound fluorocarbon. The rod worked great. That 2 pounder felt like a whale.

We enjoyed seeing you guys. I liked seeing Jim with that fish on with his light rod.

Nice to here you were pulling out the big swim baits.

I like it it back up there in the river. There are some strange currents that really rip.

That Tatula rod works great. I am getting much better on it. No backlash the last 2 times on.

It was fun, can't wait to get back. Think I will bring a fly rod next trip.
midge master g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 08:21 AM   #11
AZ1800

Nice report. Sounds like a fun hunt trying to get the big ones to commit.
AZ1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 08:59 AM   #12
Powell Fain

nice job as always. Thanks for sharing
Powell Fain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 09:43 AM   #13
midge master g

Going back next Friday. Gonna bring a fly rod.
midge master g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #14
Lone Ranger

Great catch Tim and Jim! Great report!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #15
DRMNBIG

Good work! Loving sag rite now. .