Help with jack plate prop Tucson - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

October 26th, 2020     02:49 PM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fishing Chat

Old January 20th, 2016, 01:06 PM   #1
04Ranger519

Help with jack plate prop Tucson

Does anyone know of a good tech, or repair place, in Tucson to help set up a Rite Hite jack plate and propeller? Moved up to a 2004 Ranger 519 VX, 200 hp Mercury OptiMax. Had a 93 Tracker 17' with 60hp - so a BIG difference (Tracker still in the For Sale section if anyone interested). Added a pair of Talons and now with a fishing partner the boat will not get on plane. Boat gets on plane with one person - but not two in the boat. Thanks.
04Ranger519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2016, 02:09 PM   #2
Nitro

Go down about a 1/2" with the jack plate
Old January 20th, 2016, 02:53 PM   #3
Ranger

Go to here http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=117

or here http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=132
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2016, 05:06 PM   #4
Novice_Dave

Can you please describe in more detail what it is doing? Maybe we can help get you going in the right direction. Is the prop blowing out (spinning a bunch of RPMs but not moving the boat)? If this is the case then you can try some combination of the following: go down on the jackplate enough for the prop to bite. Add cupping to your prop. Try a prop with more cup and blade surface (as in going from a 3 blade to 4 blade). Try a prop with a different hub (over the hub props or props with holes in the hub will blowout more than thru the hub props).

If the prop is bogging and just plowing the water then you can try to go down in pitch. Go up on the jackplate until it allows the prop to spin up into a good RPM range (the engines powerband). Try a prop that has holes in the hub or is more over the hub.

If I know more about your setup then I can probably narrow some of the options above. I hope this helps.
Novice_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #5
redhammer

I would also play with the PVS plugs on the prop (take 2/3 of them out)....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
redhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 05:53 PM   #6
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhammer View Post
I would also play with the PVS plugs on the prop (take 2/3 of them out)....
Dude, you would play with anything. I got stuck fishing with you before, you tried playing with it all day.
Old January 20th, 2016, 06:00 PM   #7
04Ranger519

Will try and describe as best as I can. Only the second time on the water in the boat. First time was by myself - no Talons. Got up on plane - but seemed to take awhile, could have been me being to nice on the throttle.
25 pitch prop.
This time with Talons installed - Talon mount is about 1" thick and is between the transom and jack plate. Fishing partner - another 260 pounds (need smaller partner). Would not go on plane - about 3000 RPM only. Was at Apache so went to M&S Marine at Roosevelt and they helped. Lifted the Talons up as far as they would go and took out one of the prop plugs.
Next morning was able to get on plane - took awhile but got there. In the afternoon my fishing partner had to sit on the front deck to get us on plane. RPMs around 3800 to 4000.
Third morning could not get on plane no matter where he sat. Tried pulling out another plug and that did not help. Engine would rev up and shut down as I figure it over revved. Only did that twice, not going to keep trying something not working. Put plug back in - did not help.
With only one person in the boat it will get on plane - just seems like a long time to get there.
Specs I have found so far - boat weight 1495 lbs (best I can find). I estimate another 1200 in people and everything in boat. 2 Talons, 4 big gel batteries, 500 lbs people, plus 48 gallons of fuel (not included in 1200). Mercury prop calculator says go to a 23 pitch. Also thought about a hydrofoil. Appreciate any help and advice.
Old January 20th, 2016, 07:32 PM   #8
TD.

If your top rpms are 3 to 4 k you are way over propped .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
\]

Fillet & Release
TD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 06:05 AM   #9
5 keepers

Is the prop venting enough on holeshot? I don't think we can tell from your post. You are giving an RPM but we don't know if that is at WOT or what the engine is revving to when you try to get on plane. Also helps to know what prop is on the boat right now? A 25 pitch what? Fury? Tempest?
5 keepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 10:24 AM   #10
azrockman

Try it with the Talons in the up position.
azrockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 11:59 AM   #11
04Ranger519

Let me see if I can be a little more specific.
The Talons are as high on the bracket as they can go - only about 1/2" is below the brackets holding them
The prop is a Tempest Plus 25p.
Is WOT - wide open throttle?
The first plug taken out had a small hole in it. After that left the shop and went to Windy Hill. One person in boat and it got up on plane - RPMs (if I remember right) was 3500 to 3800 - WOT.
Then pulled out a second plug at Windy Hill - large hole in that one. Boat back out - one person, felt same as before the plug was taken out.
Went back to Apache.
Next morning was able to get on plane - took awhile but got there. In the afternoon my fishing partner had to sit on the front deck to get us on plane. RPMs around 3800 to 4000 - WOT.
Third morning could not get on plane no matter where he sat. Tried pulling out another third plug (anther large hole) and that did not help. Engine would rev up and shut down as I figure it over revved. Only did that twice, not going to keep trying something not working. Put plug back in - did not help.
With only one person in the boat it will get on plane - just seems like a long time to get there.
Thanks to all that are trying to help.
Old January 21st, 2016, 12:34 PM   #12
AZ fisher

If they had to pull the motor to install the Talon brackets maybe they did not get the motor mounted in the same holes in the jackplate as before. With the motor trimmed all the way down your prop shaft should be right about 3 1/2 inches below the pad of the boat. Your motor might not be low enough in the water. Just a thought.
AZ fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 12:52 PM   #13
bassinajm

Congrats on the new to you rig! did you test ride the boat with the previous owner? If you did , did it get up on plane then? I went from a tracker to a pad hull boat with a 150 on it. Like you said in your original post "big difference" so the biggest difference for me was the hole shot.

My question is are you having a driving issue or an equipment issue? Not trying to be snarky, just asking!

When taking off the motor has to be trimmed all the way down and as you accelerate (hit it full throttle) you should pop up and then adjust trim and speed to stay on plane and maintain desired speed.

Trim and speed adjustment has been the biggest learning curve for me!

Hope this helps...........
bassinajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:47 PM   #14
Novice_Dave

It sounds to me like you need to go down in pitch to at least a 23" pitch. The Tempest has good blade surface area and lifts heavy loads well. It is a thru hub prop which is good for heavy loads.

Can you please clarify the RPMs you are giving? Are those RPMs what the prop is spinning at hole shot? If so then that is about right as far as the prop allowing the engine to get into its power band and still have enough bite to move a load. It also sounds like you are finding the limit as far as blowout when you remove all the plugs so I don't think moving the prop up on the jackplate is going to help. If you try to move the prop down on the jackplate then I think you will only hurt holeshot more as the engine will bog down.

If it was me I would try a 23" pitch Tempest or Bravo. I don't think a Trophy or any smaller hub prop will work well in your application. Hope this helps and let us know if you get more information.
Novice_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 08:08 PM   #15
skunkoff22

I would check if you plug is in. Sounds like your hauling a bunch of water. What did the boat run before the Talons? I dont think just adding those would create such a huge difference. Could be a fouled plug,,, Prop isnt venting,,, jackplate or motor needs to go up or down .. Good luck and congrats on the new boat.
skunkoff22 is offline   Reply With Quote