Why is Bass angler satisfaction so low on Lake Pleasant according to some? - Page 5 - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

October 30th, 2020     12:28 PM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fishing Chat

Old March 24th, 2016, 08:50 PM   #61
Franklin J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunko! View Post
Every time I go to pleasant all the good firewood is all used up.

Seriously dude, are you even talking about the same lake? You sure youre not talking about bartlett flats?
No Plez.....not the noethern coves so much as shit like 2 cow or cottonwood.....anywhere people camp...

Bartlett is worse, but I don't fish it much anymore...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Franklin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2016, 09:26 PM   #62
badaz4570

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbrains View Post
Are muskie any good to eat ?
I have always heard people refer to stripers as a carp in a tuxedo.
Never have eatin either fish.
Do stripers taste like bass or carp?
Stripers are excellent to eat. Just make sure when you fillet them to take the dark line out that is next to the skin! We just make a V-cut and make like two fillets out of one side.
Old March 25th, 2016, 04:32 AM   #63
Garret

im just going to throw this out there...... this guy is a douche.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Garret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 06:35 AM   #64
Skunko!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin J View Post
No Plez.....not the noethern coves so much as shit like 2 cow or cottonwood.....anywhere people camp...

Bartlett is worse, but I don't fish it much anymore...
Your boat wont make it that far north?
Old March 25th, 2016, 09:55 AM   #65
HugeEuge57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Dogs View Post
Ole Huge is right
WTF??
HugeEuge57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 12:50 PM   #66
BassTrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by B SHEP View Post
Yes. I want to improve the fishery. Stocking another fish is not going to hurt it. I have yet to hear a reason why it would. What would be the difference between stocking Muskies and Florida strain Largemouth Bass? I'm not a snowbird by the way. I've spent a quarter of my life here... There... And a few other places. I am an American. We all have a million things in common... One disagreement about Muskies and all of a sudden I'm the worst person in the world? This post was about improving Pleasant... Not Muskies. Glad you guys are interested.
What do your studies say about muskie survival on a body of water that as an average annual elevation swing of 50 feet?
Old March 25th, 2016, 01:05 PM   #67
midge master g

Don't forget the warm water temps in the summer.
midge master g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 02:35 PM   #68
B SHEP

BassTrix, like a lot of mine and your beliefs when it comes to just about any subject, there is not much "scientific"study out there to go off of. Sometimes you just have to make guesses whether it be based on science or common sense.

With that being said, while there are no scientific studies as far as Muskie survival in reservoirs that are identical to Pleasant or Pleasant itself, there are similar bodies of water out there that experience similar conditions where Muskies do very, very well. One could also argue that the conditions Muskies may experience in lakes such as Cave Run or Shelbyville may be less pleasant as far as Muskie survival goes.

Let's not just single out Pleasant... There are several bodies of water in the state where Muskies have the potential to do well.

Here is something to think about...

I almost want to draw a picture with calculated numbers attached, but I think you guys will get exactly what the idea is after reading this... I posted this on my Facebook page already, but I still gladly share it with you fine people - with a couple modifications

If Muskies are introduced, there is a possibility the Striped Bass will put less of a dent in the Largemouth Bass population due to the possibility of the Muskie putting a dent in the Striped Bass population.

Less Striped Bass in the system will put a smaller dent in the Largemouth Bass and baitfish population - which will possibility lead to healthier fish in the future.

Adding Muskie to the system may potentially put a small dent in the overall game fish population at first, but they may not put much of a dent on the overall baitfish population and allow the baitfish a chance to reproduce and sustain themselves at a better rate if the Striped Bass population can be regulated.

Less game fish and the same amount or an increased number in baitfish can possibly lead to less predator vs predator predation and allow for better numbers and healthier game fish in the future while Muskie populations can be managed and even eliminated over time if proper data is collected and scripted.

This idea could create a balance in the fishery and promote healthier fish due to less overall game fish populations and increased baitfish populations. Angler satisfaction as far as fish weight is concerned might possibly improve and a new sport fish opportunity may be added to the dynamics of Arizona's fishery.

With improved habitat, this gives Largemouth Bass places to hide from predation from game fish. Muskies may resort to open water to feed primarily on Shad, where Striped Bass will possibly become victim to the Muskie. Like Walleye, Largemouth Bass relate tight to structure or the bottom at times. Walleye are either not a preferred food source for the Muskie, or Walleye have a good way of avoiding predation in lakes where stomach contents of Muskies have been examined - on lakes where Walleye exists. Largemouth Bass are not a prefered food source for Muskies in bodies of water that have been studied.

Introducing Muskie to the system can possibly improve the overall numbers and improve the trophy size potential for all species of fish and may open the door to providing an environment that can possibly sustain a healthy Smallmouth Bass population without any negative effect on the other species.

If Muskies are introduced to Lake Ashurst, the Northern Pike population can possibly be regulated, but not eliminated.

If Muskies are introducted to the Salt River Chain, Muskies may regulate large Gizzard Shad that may use up valuable resources for younger Shad that smaller game fish like Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass feed on.

There are so many positives when it comes to this idea playing out and very few negatives - with half of the negatives being extremely unrealistic.

Discuss and support the idea to re-introduce the Muskie to Arizona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

B SHEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 02:39 PM   #69
B SHEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge master g View Post
Don't forget the warm water temps in the summer.
Striped Bass require cooler water temperatures and more energy (food) than Muskie. Water temperature will play a huge factor when it comes to survival if anglers decide to fish for or catch Muskie when surface temperatures are above 80 degrees, but there is no reason to suggest that Muskies will not survive when they can seek refuge in the cooler waters beneath the surface if they have access to energy providing nutrients.

That is when it comes to Pleasant... Lake Ashurst would present a perfect storm as far as water temperatures go for Muskie.

Old March 25th, 2016, 02:48 PM   #70
HugeEuge57

How does comparing a lake like Shelbyville or Ashurst compare to a warm water desert lake like Pleasant? You can't do it...you're talking about lakes that get iced over in winter compared to lakes that drop into the 50s in winter...and summer temps that get up into the 80s as compared to lakes in the low 70s.....you can't do it man.

Pike survive in Ashurst because of the climate of the lake and surrounding area. They would never stock it with pike when they don't want any other fish in there besides trout...and they proved that by getting rid of the pike.

You're picking lakes that make no sense to do it in....but picking a lake that gets as warm as the desert lakes do or trying to get somebody to introduce a species to control the pike in Ashurst?? That's a total joke dude...why do you think they want the pike out? For trout...so what do you think putting muskie in there would do? They'd eat the trout too.

SM, LM, catfish, stripers, crappie can all survive in warm water lakes that's been proven across the country....but for muskie it's a waste of money since it's not proven...and I don't want my license dollars going to waste for a fish that I don't believe would survive here. Plain and simple. I'd rather it go to stock fish that we know survive and thrive here.

Show me one article that shows the fish would survive in a desert type lake where temps get as high as they do and maybe you'd have some support...but you can't....so you won't get the support.
HugeEuge57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 03:05 PM   #71
B SHEP

Every comparison is a good comparison, regardless if there are similarities or not. You can compare anything you want.

Why does there need to be an exact comparison for any thought of success? This would be an experiment no doubt... You can not say there are any defining clues that hint to the chance of complete failure, so why are the clues to why this idea could be a complete success being ignored?

There are plenty of lakes that get almost as warm as Pleasant in the summer months as far as surface temperatures go. Look at Cave Run Lake in Kentucky. It gets very warm there and the Muskies do very well. A couple things a lot of these lakes have in common are fish species that exist in the lakes along with an area within the water column known as the thermocline.

Nobody is asking you to pay for anything... I have spent thousands and thousands of my own "hard" earned money on fishing equipment... Bought a boat, a couple trucks, tons of tackle... I am willing to put all of my extra time and effort towards earning money to support this idea. If I can do those things... I can certainly help with this idea and would love to do it.

If Striped Bass and Northern Pike survive in the lakes that they do... There is a good chance that Muskies will survive, too.

Old March 25th, 2016, 03:10 PM   #72
B SHEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeEuge57 View Post
Pike survive in Ashurst because of the climate of the lake and surrounding area. They would never stock it with pike when they don't want any other fish in there besides trout...and they proved that by getting rid of the pike.

You're picking lakes that make no sense to do it in....but picking a lake that gets as warm as the desert lakes do or trying to get somebody to introduce a species to control the pike in Ashurst?? That's a total joke dude...why do you think they want the pike out? For trout...so what do you think putting muskie in there would do? They'd eat the trout too.

Muskies could thin the herd as far as the Pike go. But, why eliminate the Pike completely? There are lots of people who have a lot of history when it comes to fishing for and catching Pike in Arizona. Why would you want to eliminate someones favorite past time?

Instead of eliminating, why not control the population with a more popular fish that will exist in low numbers?

The Trout are going to get eaten regardless... But, Muskie could bring down the number of total esox in the entire lake for a better experience for both Trout and for anglers who wish to target Pike and Muskie.

It makes more sense to regulate the population in a more natural and ethical way than eliminate the population by simply ending the life of every Pike caught for no reason other than to satisfy anglers who prefer Trout when there are a good number of people who prefer to fish for and catch Pike, too.

Old March 25th, 2016, 03:38 PM   #73
BassTrix

There's that one tiny factor I pointed out to you in a prior post about the thermocline. Flatheads can survive in lower DO than most fish....and I presume the muskie likes its share of DO.....so how you going to get around that one? The muskie will prefer cooler water but it will suffocate...it'll end up porpoising like many other species do I guess....but it won't "thrive".
Old March 25th, 2016, 03:48 PM   #74
champ,204

You are aware that you are pitching the wrong crowd for your musky wet dream right? You probably should be going other avenues than the bass zone where a bunch of bass guys could give 2 shits and a fuk about a musky. You're just waisting your time here and achieving nothing.

Like del said, try to get ahold of Jerry with the walleye guys or start pitching the fishery guys at Game and Fish for a opportunity at some actual results.

I'm all for stocking muskys here in az. More shit to catch is a win win for me personally.

Last edited by champ,204; March 25th, 2016 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Delw blows goats and gets corn holed by donkeys
champ,204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 04:21 PM   #75
B SHEP

BassTrix, if you want some examples of lakes that might not be well suited for fish that like their fair share of DO where Muskies thrive, there are several that fit that category.

I understand that most Bass anglers are not going to fully accept or appreciate the idea of stocking Muskies and creating a new dynamic to Arizona's fishery if they are stocked in just one lake - but, I wanted to get your guy's opinion on the subject rather than talk to people behind the backs of those who might not like the idea. We all deserve the right to speak out on the subject of fish stocking and improving the fishery.

A lot of people have discussed this idea and I have spoken with people from all over whether they are an average Joe* (who changed that?) like you and me to people who work for the Arizona Game and Fish and the US Fish and Wildlife service. I am not looking to speak to the man in charge... I'm interested in discussing the idea. I appreciate the time you guys have taken to post your comments.

Why shouldn't everyone discuss this positive idea that could provide a good influence on the overall fishery?