Why is Bass angler satisfaction so low on Lake Pleasant according to some? - Page 6 - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

October 30th, 2020     12:23 PM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fishing Chat

Old March 25th, 2016, 04:42 PM   #76
B SHEP

Tons of great stuff here

http://ag.arizona.edu/limnology/PleasantLimno.pdf

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/documents/T...edBass2008.pdf

Discuss and support the idea to re-introduce the Muskie to Arizona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B SHEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2016, 04:47 PM   #77
DickValentine

We got it. Your having the discussion. I think we should introduce the Asian carp and snakehead. ESPECIALLY the snakehead. Its delicious, can survive anything, and would take out muskie in a heartbeat. B SHEP, would you support my Snakehead initiative? Plus...I'm terrible at fishing, and I hear snakehead will hit any lure. I need that advantage.
DickValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 05:06 PM   #78
B SHEP

I'm not sure how a Muskie can be put in any category that consists of Asian Carp and Snakehead. Both would pose a serious threat to the existing fish community and would not benefit anglers in any way... Unless you are someone who wishes to utilize Asian Carp and Snakehead for any positive reason... The negatives outweigh the positives in that made-up scenario where as there really are no negatives to stocking Muskies in a lake like Lake Pleasant.

Old March 25th, 2016, 05:29 PM   #79
DickValentine

I just told you the positive reasons. Delicious, and easy to catch. Are Muskie delicious? Are they easy to catch? The answer is no. And snakehead can live out of water. Since I'm not that good at catching fish in water, I figure once the snakehead go ashore, I can club it.
Old March 25th, 2016, 05:40 PM   #80
B SHEP

Muskie are not easy to catch, which is one reason people love to catch them. There are plenty of other things we can eat in the world. There is no need for another human food source as far as the fishery goes. The Trout serve the idea for a fish food source quite well... while adding entertainment to the equation. Bass and Flathead anglers preach catch and release while some still keep. Muskie anglers generally catch and release everything they catch and dedicate as much of their resources to the fishery as possible.

Asian Carp and Snakehead would overwhelm current populations of fish. This idea alone should cancel out any possible positive. Muskie populations can be managed - within reason.

Asian Carp and Snakehead do not share the same elusiveness, mystique, and popularity as the Muskie.

Old March 25th, 2016, 06:44 PM   #81
DickValentine

But I want to eat them. Delicious. Easy to catch.
Old March 25th, 2016, 06:46 PM   #82
DickValentine

Not to mention your argument is subjective. The beached snakehead had plenty of mystique.....and is delicious
Old March 25th, 2016, 07:28 PM   #83
basman1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickValentine View Post
I just told you the positive reasons. Delicious, and easy to catch. Are Muskie delicious? Are they easy to catch? The answer is no. And snakehead can live out of water. Since I'm not that good at catching fish in water, I figure once the snakehead go ashore, I can club it.
Club it..........:
Old March 25th, 2016, 08:08 PM   #84
B SHEP

A catch and release only regulation and closed season from June until the end of September to insure the best chance for survival would be a good idea. This will allow the opportunity to see the absolute potential these efforts can provide. This will also allow for realistic, scientific results from catch rates and studies done on the lake and the fish. People who do not fish, fishermen, scientists, Lake Pleasant, and the Muskellunge species can all benefit from this idea.

Old March 25th, 2016, 08:10 PM   #85
B SHEP

These are two great studies. Lake Pleasant Muskellunge data would make for some great software for the overall system.

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/documents/T...edBass2008.pdf

http://www.nwrc.usgs.gov/wdb/pub/hsi/hsi-148.pdf

Old March 26th, 2016, 09:36 AM   #86
BassTrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickValentine View Post
We got it. Your having the discussion. I think we should introduce the Asian carp and snakehead. ESPECIALLY the snakehead. Its delicious, can survive anything, and would take out muskie in a heartbeat. B SHEP, would you support my Snakehead initiative? Plus...I'm terrible at fishing, and I hear snakehead will hit any lure. I need that advantage.
And....the snakehead can be used in a sacrificial ceremony to save a dying family member! Can a muskie be sacrificed to save a dying family member?

That, by the way, is supposedly how the damn things ended up in one of the rivers back east...
Old March 26th, 2016, 10:47 AM   #87
RookieBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B SHEP View Post
It seems that plenty of Largemouth Bass survive to the point where they are too big for a 4-6 pound Striper to eat them.
There's 25+ pound stripers in that lake.
State record came out of there I believe 2010. It weighed 29 - 30 pounds. Bob caught that fish.
RookieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 01:38 PM   #88
B SHEP

Absolutely. I'm sure there are bigger... but, a Largemouth Bass can reach a certain size to where even a 40 pound Striped Bass would not be able to fit it in it's mouth, too.

Old March 26th, 2016, 01:42 PM   #89
badaz4570

Quote:
Originally Posted by B SHEP View Post
Absolutely. I'm sure there are bigger... but, a Largemouth Bass can reach a certain size to where even a 40 pound Striped Bass would not be able to fit it in it's, too.
Wanna' Bet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	striper.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	91625  
Old March 26th, 2016, 01:53 PM   #90
B SHEP

Even that fish would have a tough time fitting a 5 pound Largemouth Bass in it's mouth