Why is Bass angler satisfaction so low on Lake Pleasant according to some? - Page 8 - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

October 30th, 2020     11:31 AM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fishing Chat

Old March 29th, 2016, 08:40 PM   #106
Striper Mike

And NO, I don't want to read any of your damn articles or other BS.
Striper Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2016, 09:06 PM   #107
Franklin J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper Mike View Post
Wtf is wrong with this guy? Thinking Muskie would eat stripers and help the LMB population out. They must be trained Muskie. They are only fed live stripers so that is what they crave. Reality is all you are doing is adding another top predator to compete with and eat the LMB.
You want to make a difference with the bass fishing at Pleasant? Bring a fishing vessel in and net up and kill about 1,000,000 striped bass but make sure you throw back all the other species except carp. That is the quickest way to help the bass for about 5yrs.
But in all actuality, there are lots of bass in pleasant. What we need are more SMB. LMB don't compete well with the stripers which is why you typically find them along the outer edges of a school of striped bass. The stripers took over and have diminished the crappie and white bass population. Them and carp are slowly wiping out the LMB population.
I think a good idea is for game and fish to drop some of that expensive fish habitat in Pleasant....then stock smallmouth and put a catch and release deal on them for 7 years (plez is full of meathunters).....Havasu used to suck before the habitat went in.....

Flathead dudes would benefit also....at Bartlett big flats were all over the habitat

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Franklin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #108
Skunko!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin J View Post
I think a good idea is for game and fish to drop some of that expensive fish habitat in Pleasant....then stock smallmouth and put a catch and release deal on them for 7 years (plez is full of meathunters).....Havasu used to suck before the habitat went in.....

Flathead dudes would benefit also....at Bartlett big flats were all over the habitat
Why do you guys keep insisting there isnt any habitat? Are you looking for lilly pads and swamp grass?
Old March 30th, 2016, 12:04 AM   #109
Delw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunko! View Post
Why do you guys keep insisting there isnt any habitat? Are you looking for lilly pads and swamp grass?
cause its easy to say(it is being lost but there is still pleanty) . granted lots of the trees are getting cut and burned, but damn those firepits sure come in handy during the spawn.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

@#muskielivesmatter
@#bullsharklivesmattermore
Delw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 12:30 AM   #110
Franklin J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunko! View Post
Because more is always better.....

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Franklin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 08:57 AM   #111
camo

I agree with the habitats at havasu and Bartlett. They obviously work.
camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 11:08 PM   #112
B SHEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeEuge57
"Dude....who's asking us to pay? You are? What do you think our license money is going towards if this ever took effect? Muskie. "
HugeEuge57, There are a lot of things your license money goes towards.

Just about all of the free time I have ever spent on my own free will has been devoted to fish, fishing and the world wide web. The people I help, help support me. Everyone works together and that is why most things that are going on in the world - are working out.

If I can turn my free time into Muskies... which I believe I can... I will try. I would literally dig a hole the size of Lake Pleasant and fill it back up again if it meant I was allowed to take a break long enough in between each day to admire the efforts everyone can possibly put into making one lake in Arizona one of the most dynamic, freshwater fishing lakes in the world.

In reality, I would actually start building websites and spending ALL of the profits on fish of all species to stock into one single lake... Even baitfish. What a dream huh? If that dream came true... I could keep the dream alive for quite some time if I can find people willing to work with me. We can combine our ideas and all accoplish our personal goals within and outside of the common goal - if we are consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeEuge57
"And you're right...why get rid of pike altogether. Ask G&F since that's what they are doing at Ashurst lake. So my point again is if they are taking them out of there why on earth would they put Muskie in?"
HugeEuge57, Why would you want to get rid of the Pike? There are people who have spent a great deal of time fishing for Pike in Arizona. Pike in Arizona have created a lot of memories... I have heared some good stories about Pike in Arizona. What are the Pike hurting anyways? So, a few people want them gone... What about the people who want them to be left alone? Why eliminate when the potential to regulate exists. Looking at multiple options versus deciding on one option that includes blasting something into smitherines and out of existence should be considered. Stocking Muskie could help take care of a few Pike so thing's don't get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper Mike
"Wtf is wrong with this guy? Thinking Muskie would eat stripers and help the LMB population out. They must be trained Muskie. They are only fed live stripers so that is what they crave. Reality is all you are doing is adding another top predator to compete with and eat the LMB. "
Muskies, according to biologists, will target the most abundant fish within any system. The fish, of course, must be a certain size for the Muskie to eat. Shad and baby Striped Bass seem to be very abundant in Lake Pleasant and just so happen to be the perfect size for a Muskie to eat. The best part is, Shad and Striped Bass hang out and chill in the same areas in the highly oxygenated waters of Lake Pleasant, while Largemouth Bass are generally relating tight to structure and cover.

Quote:
"You want to make a difference with the bass fishing at Pleasant? Bring a fishing vessel in and net up and kill about 1,000,000 striped bass but make sure you throw back all the other species except carp. That is the quickest way to help the bass for about 5yrs."
3,000 Muskies per year over 5 years would be 15,000 Muskies. That would be all it takes to potentially start a population of fish that can be studied and fished for by anglers. We might be able to notice a change, good or bad, within that time frame and 5 years after.

Quote:
"But in all actuality, there are lots of bass in pleasant. What we need are more SMB. LMB don't compete well with the stripers which is why you typically find them along the outer edges of a school of striped bass. The stripers took over and have diminished the crappie and white bass population. Them and carp are slowly wiping out the LMB population."
Striper Mike, I believe each fish species prefers to hang out and chill in different areas based on a number of factors. Striped Bass are more water temperature and baitfish oriented where as Largemouth Bass will generally relate to a few pieces of structure and cover and eat whatever is available to them within a certain range within and around those pieces of structure and cover. The Smallmouth would most likely compete with the Largemouth more-so than the Striped Bass according to general experiences of several human brains.

Do you believe that adding thousands of tiny fish that eat lots of little fish is going to help the fish populations at Lake Pleasant? Adding more Smallmouth Bass to Lake Pleasant would be adding another more Predators to the system. This predator, the Smallmouth Bass, would exist in high numbers and has the ability to feed on any fish within it's preferred size range at any moment in time. They also reproduce and lay a ton of eggs.

With that being said... I agree. Lake Pleasant could use stocking of all species to go along with a new species to help regulate things. It seems like you guys might believe that Lake Pleasant is doomed regardless of what is done. Some believe that the Largemouth Bass population will eventually cease to exist. That is what words are leading some to believe anyways.

I think Tiger Muskies are giving some of you the wrong idea. While Tiger Muskies and Muskellunge (Muskie) are similar, they are very, very different as far as behavior and feeding habits go. Muskellunge are a more natural fish that help regulate a system versus get rid of an unwanted species to solve a problem. The top predator doesn't usually take advantage of a system. I think it has something to do with the extinct of knowing that you have to maintain an equal balance in order to survive.

There are some lakes that are stocked full of fish and loaded with habitat. The result is not what you guys might expect. The lake gets enough fishing pressure for the thought to be true that over stocking and over-cramming the lake with cover is not the answer to creating the best possibly fishery you can. The fishery is good and there are a lot of fish and a lot of big fish - but, good luck catching them. The fact that fish can escape through the dam does not help the situation much.

Discuss and support the idea to re-introduce the Muskie to Arizona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B SHEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 11:12 PM   #113
B SHEP

So... in a nut shell... Muskellunge and Largemouth Bass eat the same things, but they generally hang out and chill in different spots. A good number of Muskellunge would most likely share the same space with Striped Bass while they feed on the same forage.

Old March 30th, 2016, 11:15 PM   #114
B SHEP

Muskellunge have a preferred water temperature. Water temperature will dictate a Muskie's location more-so baitfish location where as cover location will generally dictate a Largemouth Bass's location. There may be some Muskies that never even have the chance to see what a Largemouth Bass looks like.

Old March 31st, 2016, 10:06 AM   #115
HugeEuge57

Nowhere did I say that I WANTED to get rid of the pike. What I said was G&F IS getting rid of the pike in Ashurst...so what makes you think they would put Muskie in there??? AZ is a trout state...albeit stocked trout. Whatever G&F can do to make sure people catch trout they do...and that includes removing pike out of Ashurst.

And yes my money goes to a lot of things...but I don't want the stocking of muskie to be one of them.
HugeEuge57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 12:02 PM   #116
Striper Mike

Yep he needs to go dig a hole but then lay in it. No freaking clue about pleasant and what stripers actually eat. They eat ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING, not just shad. Muskie do not fair well in warm water. They would have to hang out 60' deep in the summer and then suffocate. That lake level fluctuates too much for Muskie to be comfortable. I call bullshit that Muskie mainly prey on whatever species is more abundant. The stripers move miles each day so one day they are there and then they are gone. What will those poor Muskie eat then? LMB.
As for the SMB, again, you are incorrect. Even if all the SMB mated, delivered and fertilized eggs, only few would survive due to the large carp population. The carp cruise around the bass nests and as soon as the eggs come out they rush in to eat them. Despite having thrown a line in Pleasant 20yrs ago, you obviously have little knowledge of that lake.
You may as well take your musky kick elsewhere because it won't happen at Pleasant. G&F said a few years ago they would agree to stocking SMB but only IF it could be proven there were some already in the lake. I caught one weighing 2.88lbs during a Bill Luke Tourney, made some calls and a couple hours later G&F showed up with a photographer. They confirmed the species, asked where it was caught along with a handful of other questions and then left. They later stated that fish was illegally transplanted so no SMB were stocked.
There are SMB in that lake that came in from the CAP so stocking them does not turn into an invasive species argument. Your precious musky however would be and nobody at G&F is willing to put their neck on the block if the plan fails.
Start with an urban or northern lake. See how they fair there first because regardless of what the scientific data and the brains say, it won't happen at Pleasant.
Striper Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 12:18 PM   #117
spiderbrains

You guys do realize
B shep is never gonna stop
He is on a mission.
spiderbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2016, 07:21 PM   #118
B SHEP

Striped Mike... You might disagree with what I have said, because it goes against your belief's and you don't want it to be true, but nothing I have said has been wrong. Check out the Lake Pleasant/Striped Bass study... What makes you think Muskies would suffocate and not be able to tolerate the warm water temperatures? Striped Bass require cooler water and higher oxygen levels... As far as water fluctuations go... One of my favorite lakes in the Midwest can go from 10,000 acres to 20,000 pretty quick and Muskies have done well. Cave Run Lake in Kentucky also experiences water levels over 30ft high along with extremely high water temperatures in the summer... Muskies do very well in reserviors. Introducing Muskies to Ashurst would be a great method to regulate the Like population without eliminating the species from the system. There are people who cherish the opportunities and memories Pike have been a part of.
Old April 5th, 2016, 07:28 PM   #119
champ,204

Someone needs to do us all a big favor and put this coksucker out of his misery
Old April 5th, 2016, 09:38 PM   #120
badaz4570

Pike are Carp with a developmental issue!