Repowering - Mercury vs. Yamaha - Suggestions Needed - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

October 26th, 2020     03:19 PM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fishing Chat

Old April 17th, 2016, 12:41 PM   #1
Mean519

Repowering - Mercury vs. Yamaha - Suggestions Needed

I have a 1997 Ranger 519 SVS in great condition. It has a 2004 Merc Optimax 225 and no jack plate. I recently lost a powerhead (at only 274 hours! Thanks, Merc!!! Yes, I add all their %&*$#@& fuel additives and run their high-dollar oil, too.) and I am considering repowering. Maybe new or used with very low hours and a warranty. My boat has a Smartcraft read out on the dash and all original gauges.

I was planning on going with a new Merc 225 Pro XS, but I am strongly considering a 4 stroke now. The Merc 4 stroke Verados are 130 lbs heavier than the Pro XS and Yamaha SHO 225. So, Yamaha's 4 stroke weighs the same as a 2 stroke Merc. Wondering if 2 strokes may be phased out in the near future.

Which 225 hp motor would you recommend for both reliability and performance? Are Yamaha's SHO 4-strokes better than the Merc Verados 4 strokes? If I were to switch over to the Yamaha SHO from the Merc Optimax, would this add a lot of expense to my rigging costs? Does Yamaha have their own version of a Smartcraft digital gauge? Can Yamaha's motors hook up to my Lowrance HDS Touch 9 graphs for engine performance monitoring? Just trying to gauge how difficult and expensive switching motor brands would be.

Thank you for any suggestions or answers you may offer.

Also, anyone need a blown Opti?
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2016, 01:00 PM   #2
rscustomrods

The short answer is yes if you switch from merc to yamaha it will cost you some extra money and time to rig it. As for which is better, they are both good motors but as with all brands, some people have had good experiences and some have had bad experiences. Both motors can be read on your graphs. Personally, I would go with whichever be I could get the best overall deal from, provided you are comfortable with your service options for the brand you choose. I am partial to Brent at performance marine so I try to go with mercury whenever possible. Jmho. Stand by for more
Old April 17th, 2016, 02:21 PM   #3
Franklin J

Whatever you can get a good deal on. They all blow up. HPDI'S seem blow for most people, but I've ran them for 10 years...no blown powerheads..

Yet

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Franklin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2016, 09:34 PM   #4
badaz4570

Why not get a new or rebuilt powerhead?
Old April 18th, 2016, 05:08 AM   #5
ringer

The rigging kit to change brands will add $1800 to the deal. I would rebuild the powerhead.
ringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 07:26 AM   #6
Garret

Am i missing something here? why would you buy a brand new motor when you could rebuild the current? or why whould you buy a brand new motor and put it on a 20 year old boat, when you could get a boat that was newer for the price of the motor your going to buy??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Garret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 08:20 AM   #7
Nitro

Have Ken at holiday marine put a new power head on it, and call it a day...
Old April 18th, 2016, 12:07 PM   #8
kevin

rebuild bud
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 01:11 PM   #9
Lone Ranger

Rebuild the Mercury 225 HP Optimax power head versus buying a new power head:

1 - get a cost quote for each - rebuild versus new.
2 - check the warranty for each. One might have a much better warranty.

When I bought a new power head for the 1999 Mercury Optimax 225 on my 1999 519 Ranger, it cost me $7,100 in total to have the work done. That was 7-8 years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 03:06 PM   #10
zxc

I would check out the Factory rebuilt power heads from Mercury Marine. The best deal is not always the best thing. You can buy a power head and get a quote from qualified places here in town to have it installed. Don't forget to have it diagnosed as to what caused the failure, without fixing that the original cause will still be there on you fresh power head.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...emanufacturing
zxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 05:33 PM   #11
AZROOFER

I threw a rod on my 00' 225 Merc, New power head was 10 Grand and 1 year warranty at the time , I went with a New 250xs for 15 G's and got a 5 year warranty...No brainer...check out Bass Boat Central.....Can always find a deal.
AZROOFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 07:44 PM   #12
5 keepers

Pro XS are different than Opti Pops...just saying. Ken can probably make it as good or better than and Pro XS if you rebuilt. Either way...popped power heads suck. Good luck.
5 keepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 08:35 AM   #13
Garret

not sure about you guys...... but if my opti blows a powerhead my insurance company covers my motor up to 16k..... i just pay the deductable and i either get a new motor or mine rebuilt.

you guys need to check your insurance and switch to BoatUS.

Old April 19th, 2016, 08:58 AM   #14
redhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret View Post
not sure about you guys...... but if my opti blows a powerhead my insurance company covers my motor up to 16k..... i just pay the deductable and i either get a new motor or mine rebuilt.

you guys need to check your insurance and switch to BoatUS.
I never heard of them covering power-head loss what policy is that under....

I have used them for a while and they are a solid insurer (stand behind there policies).

Last edited by redhammer; April 19th, 2016 at 10:45 AM.
redhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 10:10 AM   #15
Garret

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhammer View Post
I never heard of them covering power-head loss what policy is that under....

I have used them for a while and there a solid insurer (stand behind there policies).

I was blown away also when i called them yesterday to confirm. Ive had a few people tell me about them covering the motor in case of a powerhead....... so i called yesterday and she informed me that the motor and electronics are covered up to 16k on my boat. I asked if the powerhead blows up is that covered and she yes it is, but i would need to pay the 500 deductable. She said they would either replace the motor or have it rebuilt.