Transmission Temp hauling boat - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

October 25th, 2020     09:01 PM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fishing Chat

Old June 7th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #1
TeamK

Transmission Temp hauling boat

Just got a new truck that displays trans temp, can't find anything in the book that tells what normal range should be. Can anyone tell me what temps you get in town driving vs. pulling your boat to the lake?
TeamK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #2
redhammer

what truck/transmission?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
redhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #3
BassTrix

Yesterday mine was running ~190 towing the boat @65-80...was about 105 out. Engine was ~210. That's about as hot as the tranny ever gets on my rig.
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #4
Griz

Within my prior reading, I see that you want to keep it below 200 degrees. Above that and apparently damage will start to occur. I found this link, so it may be where I read it, but am interested in hearing what everyone has to say.

http://www.trailerboats.com/images/e...%20TACTICS.pdf

My tranny temp gauge does not provide a digital readout, so 200 means little to me. I just ensure it stays within the “normal” range…
Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #5
TeamK

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhammer View Post
what truck/transmission?
'10 Avalanche, 2wd, 5.3 litre, 6 spd trans,
Old June 7th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #6
azfshrmn

I have a '08 Silverado and when I haul my boat, I always drop it into the next lowest gear once the OD kicks down you can also press the button on the end of the shift lever for better performance from the tranny, this puts the tranny in the trailer towing mode. I have never thought to look at my tranny temp, but now I will.
azfshrmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #7
Scott S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamK View Post
'10 Avalanche, 2wd, 5.3 litre, 6 spd trans,

Do you have a trans cooler on that thing? Couple of guys I work with have the v6 silverado, no cooler and they run 230 all the time. My 2500 has hit 230 up a big ass hill with the 5th wheel behind it. A trans cooler will make a big difference in temps. Mine won't hit 110 in the winter months, were those v6 chaps are still hitting 230.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pro-Tech mat Distributor..
Sparta Carpet 20 oz plush 24 oz Ultra Plush , Distributor, Installer
Marine Vinyl flooring, 2 weights, 20 colors.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #8
TeamK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
Do you have a trans cooler on that thing? Couple of guys I work with have the v6 silverado, no cooler and they run 230 all the time. My 2500 has hit 230 up a big ass hill with the 5th wheel behind it. A trans cooler will make a big difference in temps. Mine won't hit 110 in the winter months, were those v6 chaps are still hitting 230.
I have the heavy duty towing package, trans and engine oil cooler. I'm also curious about towing with this transmission, it's 6 speed, only shows "D" and "M" on the dash, and has the + and - buttons on the shift lever. I can set it on "M" for manual, and it allows me to limit the top end of the gearing while towing. It allows me to set the trans for 1 to 6th gear, and I'm assuming I would limit it to 1 to 4th gear while towing. Is this how you guys do it?
Old June 7th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #9
Scott S.

hmmm

Old June 7th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #10
Scott S.

hit the tow haul mode on the end of the shift lever, set the cuise and go. I have the older 4 speed so when I come up on a hill I will drop it into 3rd, hill being the one that takes you up on the rim. My z71 with the 5.3 would take it in 3rd as well. Temp will hit 190-210. Or pulling the hill out of bartlette with the pedal on the floor.

Old June 7th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #11
BDEL

Another thing to consider is when going down hill and not using the accelerator, the tranny fluid does not circulate through the cooler. A good example is going down Slate Creek.
BDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #12
Franklin J

Well first off most of these trannys probably are not built the best, except for the Allison.

Your tranny temp should not exceed your engine temp, assuming you have a heat exchanger mounted to your engine block+tranny cooler. Most trannys run hot because you have a cheap torque converter that slips like crazy and causes heat.

Here are some tips.

Dont be cheap, buy the best tranny parts you can afford
Get a super efficient torque converter
Get a high capacity tranny oil pan, Mag Hytec makes a good one, it's got awesome heat fins which cool the oil greatly

My tranny only gets 180 going to Rosy at 80-85, 140 in the winter, I have a gauge on the hot side going to the cooler, which gets about 200, then after the cooler its 180

For the diesel guys, what I have found is the faster you go, the more air you get across the cooler, so when you pull those grades stay in the throttle

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Franklin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #13
BassTrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDEL View Post
Another thing to consider is when going down hill and not using the accelerator, the tranny fluid does not circulate through the cooler. A good example is going down Slate Creek.
I'm curious as to why this is the case? I haven't built an automatic since the 90's, but they were all pretty similar in that the engine was directy bolted to the torque converter (TC), TC has a drive lug which rotates the drive rotor in the tranny's Front Pump, so as long as the engine is running, the FP is pumping fluid....as long as the FP is pumping fluid, fluid is circulating through the cooler?

It wouldn't be difficult to shut off flow to the cooler during coast, but the reason why isn't obvious to me.
Old June 8th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #14
J1mbo

Bass Trix you are correct. In fact you can do a flush using the engine running method. You take a line off the cooler or the radiator start the engine as the old fluid pumps out you pour new fluid in at the same rate.
In this Arizona heat I only run synthetic fluid it will not break down and varnish. It will last twice as long between changes.
J1mbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #15
brushnjigs

TeamK
I have the same 6 speed trans,(silverado) Stick it in drive and go. If in hills push in the toe/haul button and let her eat. The hi readings I have seen are around 180 degrees. I did see the Denali (wife"s toy)trans temp hit 201 one day when it was 100 degrees outside.
brushnjigs is offline   Reply With Quote