The hidden cost of cheap labor. - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

October 30th, 2020     09:53 PM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > General Forums > Current Events

Old November 18th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #1
Skunko!

The hidden cost of cheap labor.

I love how liberals want abortions, but dont want the death penalty. I also love the fact that most neocons are against a minimum wage, traditionally saying "let the market bear". Now, they are against tax increases and welfare, but love it when corporations can dig deep into their pockets to the tune of one billion dollars a year for government subsidized labor costs?
Quote:
The majority of Walmart employees reportedly make less than $25,000 annually, and many of them rely on food stamps. A case study compiled by the Democratic staff of the House Committee on Education and the Workforce found that employees in one Walmart location received between $96,007 and $219,528 in food stamps over the course of a single year.
“I know a lot of people who experience going to food banks,” wrote Walmart employee Tiffany Beroid in a comment posted on the Plain Dealer website. ”I actually have a lot of food bank numbers written down that people ask me for on regular basis because they know I’m active.”
Beroid is a member of OUR Walmart, the labor-backed organization demanding higher wages and improved working conditions from America’s largest employer. On a conference called organized by OUR Walmart, MoveOn.org’s Anna Galland accused Walmart of “essentially asking taxpayers to pay for what they should be paying their workers.”
Walmart is not alone there. Last month, a McDonald’s representative advised a low-wage employee to apply for food stamps after the employee said that she was struggling to make ends meet. The families of fast food employees receive about $1 billion in food stamps per year, according to researchers from the University of California Berkeley and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #2
AZ_PWE

"…….according to researchers from the University of California Berkeley and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign."

Who are being funded by……….?
AZ_PWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Stevtech

From someone who complains about posts from unrelibles sources. A case study compiled by the Democratic staff of the House Committee on Education and the Workforce found that employees. Yea I am sure that is an unbiased study. Done by the same poeple who go out and push food stamps.
"the labor-backed organization demanding higher wages and improved working conditions from America’s largest employer." If I go to my boss and "demand" a higher wage he will tell me to go find and another employer that will pay me what I am worth."
This stuff will not improve the standard of living of our society.
As the rest of the world gets more productive we are going in the opposite direction. Increased productivity = increased wealth. Demanding more for less decreases wealth.
Stevtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #4
BassTrix

I wonder how an increase in minimum wage plays out...maybe something like this: First the wage is increased by a couple bucks an hour, the min-wagers enjoy a little extra cash and loosen their proverbial belts just a tad... then prices are increased to make up for the additional cost to do business....oh well...it was fun while it lasted. Wages, eventually, catch up for the rest of the workforce...but it takes some time.

In the end, what does everyone get for their bigger paychecks?

Nothing! Well....I guess inflation IS something...so that's it...they (we) get inflation.

The retired folks on fixed income get screwed the most. Their income can't increase, so they are the ones that suffer....the minimum wager earners enjoy a short-lived improvment to their standard of living...but in the end, it all balances out and they're back where they started....but wait....there is a group that benefits from this plan... Oh, that's right, the politicians.....they get VOTES....and that's what this nonsense is all about
Old November 19th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #5
champ,204

You're paid what you're worth. Plain and simple!
champ,204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #6
Skunko!

You guys just dont get it. In the case of these companies, youre paid what they think youre worth, plus 1001.76 in housing allowance plus 347.60 in federal food stamp benefits which YOU morons directly pay for so you can save .11 cents on your chinese made barbeque brush. Its OK if its subsidized corporate welfare since corporations are people too, right?
Old November 19th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #7
TXRNGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ,204 View Post
You're paid what you're worth. Plain and simple!
+1000..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 Ranger 188VX
Yamaha 175 HPDI
TXRNGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Skunko!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRNGR View Post
+1000..
Tell that to generations of coal miners, railroad coolies, and african slaves. Did they get paid what they were worth?
Old November 19th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #9
TXRNGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunko! View Post
Tell that to generations of coal miners, railroad coolies, and african slaves. Did they get paid what they were worth?
Yup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 Ranger 188VX
Yamaha 175 HPDI
TXRNGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #10
Skunko!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRNGR View Post
Yup
Haha, I bet. You were the one cracking the whip, right?
Old November 19th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #11
Stevtech

To compare Walmart and Slavery is foolish.
Lots of people died to end institutional slavery in this country.
Corrupt corporations are bad. Corrupt politicians are worse. At one time people were enslaved in coal mines and koolie gangs, those were cases of corrupt politians working with corrupt corporations. That could not exist today the level of slavery.

There are still enslaved people in this country and around the world. Especially in the sex trade and illegal workers. It is not prosecuted to the extent I would like to see, but it is certainly not institutionalized.

The fact that the government says poverty is at $20K and so you need subsidies. That is just politicians buying votes. People have children and do lots of things that they cannot afford, that is not societies fault or problem. Liberals have made the argument that if you have problems you are entitled to a government hand out.
That doesn't mean there should be no charity. Charity is different than supporting generations that have no incentive to improve themselves. Lots of people need motivation. Poverty and starvation as a motivator have almost been eliminated.

Never before in the history of the world has the least productive people had more offspring than the most successful people. If you weren't successful your children died of poverty. We have reversed that. Now the least successful people have the most offspring and demand others pay for them.
I would not care it; doesn't and won't affect my life. It is not sustainable and will provide misery to untold numbers of people sometime in the future.

Do you really believe that if you take the profit motive away. Give people more stuff. Give the government more power, control of the economy on macro and micro levels that everyone will be better off.
It has been tried in many ways and in many countries and never lasted more than two generations. Why do you think it is the solution to todays problems.
Old November 19th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #12
Skunko!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevtech View Post
To compare Walmart and Slavery is foolish.
Lots of people died to end institutional slavery in this country.
Corrupt corporations are bad. Corrupt politicians are worse. At one time people were enslaved in coal mines and koolie gangs, those were cases of corrupt politians working with corrupt corporations. That could not exist today the level of slavery.

There are still enslaved people in this country and around the world. Especially in the sex trade and illegal workers. It is not prosecuted to the extent I would like to see, but it is certainly not institutionalized.

The fact that the government says poverty is at $20K and so you need subsidies. That is just politicians buying votes. People have children and do lots of things that they cannot afford, that is not societies fault or problem. Liberals have made the argument that if you have problems you are entitled to a government hand out.
That doesn't mean there should be no charity. Charity is different than supporting generations that have no incentive to improve themselves. Lots of people need motivation. Poverty and starvation as a motivator have almost been eliminated.

Never before in the history of the world has the least productive people had more offspring than the most successful people. If you weren't successful your children died of poverty. We have reversed that. Now the least successful people have the most offspring and demand others pay for them.
I would not care it; doesn't and won't affect my life. It is not sustainable and will provide misery to untold numbers of people sometime in the future.

Do you really believe that if you take the profit motive away. Give people more stuff. Give the government more power, control of the economy on macro and micro levels that everyone will be better off.
It has been tried in many ways and in many countries and never lasted more than two generations. Why do you think it is the solution to todays problems.
Blah blah blah, when you were a kid, you could go out and find a good paying job. Now that youre old and dont give a shit.....you just want your own standard of living to not decline. Sad.
Youre a sad, greedy old man hiding behind some bullshit.
Old November 19th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #13
Skunko!

Heres the average bills an average american is going to face a month.
rent 500-800
food 100
car insurance 50
utilities 300

Now how in the goddamn bleeding dick of christ are you going to cover that making minimum wage?
I know thats crazy talk suggesting someone pay car insurance and eat, since those are luxuries afforded only to those who are smart enough to run a business....wait a minute, the average shithead can and does run a business.
All you need is capital. Ahhh, thats the rub, isnt it.
keep those unducated people down and pay them nothing. Thats how you afford luxuries in life like food and water.
Old November 20th, 2013, 03:29 AM   #14
Bayou

Just continually print cash and inject it into the marketplace. Everything's fixed!

BassTrix's post was spot on and well said.
Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 06:20 AM   #15
Stevtech

Skunko,

Two ways to get money to poor people.
As Bayou said print cash and give it to them. Take it from those that have to give to those that don't.
Both have been tried many times. Both history has shown will result in collapse of the social structure.
Our system has resulted in the highest standard of living for the most people.
Problems are going to become acute as the populations of the world out strip the recourses available.

I know people that came here from the middle east 20 years ago. They work hard caring for elderly people. The started at the bottom working in a nursing home. Work most people would not do. They learned out to care for the disabled. Gradually got the certificates and training to advance themselves. Now they own two really nice large houses and are taking care of about 15 people. It is hard often nasty work and they are training there kids to take it over.
I know of another guy that came here from Russia. He is an electrician. He works hard and says the give away mentality of our government is going to ruin this nation.

Life is hard and not fair. "The life of the common man is one of quiet desperation". It is not the responsibility of government to make it easy and fair for everyone. I would be very happy if government or anything could make it happen. If government tries it will make the whole population suffer extreme hardship.

People with your attitude are dangerous. I am afraid that attitude is becoming the mainstream in our society.

Government does get in the way and make it difficult. I know people that are very well off. In the 50's they were building apartments at night and on weekends they. Built them with materials as they could buy them. They kept trading up after those initial ten apartments in downtown Phoenix. Now government would not allow them to build apartments like that. You have to have permits and capital up front. They are in there 80's now and believe anyone else could do it also. "Government is the problem".